Should I buy the new Ultra Matte Square Mini?

Misstv2000

Jun 16, 2020
I kinda love the black but I’m not sure if I should bite the bullet. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• 13D703F1-2109-4D3C-A2EB-7EBCF95A5066.jpeg
    13D703F1-2109-4D3C-A2EB-7EBCF95A5066.jpeg
    275.9 KB · Views: 160
  • E0E43619-60CA-45BC-8B8C-D78BBB91C960.png
    E0E43619-60CA-45BC-8B8C-D78BBB91C960.png
    615 KB · Views: 150
  • 79E59D05-9782-479B-AC47-002D807A592F.png
    79E59D05-9782-479B-AC47-002D807A592F.png
    549.7 KB · Views: 121
So it case @meeow05 doesn't get back to me, any reasons why the magnetic closure is a negative? Is it because the closure it's strong enough to hold if you put too much in the bag?

I think it's partially that, and partially that gals like the elegance of a twist/traditional CC closure. I saw a red ultra matte irl on Thursday and to be honest, it didn't wow me the way the previous collection (with black, blue, pink) did in photos. The friend I was with said a magnetic closure would be a dealbreaker for her too. I have a WOC with a normal button closure and THAT is annoying to me; I'm not sure why people hate the magnetic!

Reactions: meeow05
I responded to @Misstv2000 privately already, but thought I’d boil things down to post here in case it could help any other ladies considering this beautiful and unique bag!

Some things to preface:
  • My Chanel collection is v limited
  • I wanted my next Chanel to be something I will use rather than leave in my closet to admire (I already have bags serving that purpose :giggle:)
  • A square or rectangular mini was high up on my wish list. Yes, I could get a CF as a more functional bag, but smaller, crossbody bags suit my lifestyle and preferences more :hbeat:

Now let me break it down...

Pros
  • Looks bada$$ with the black hardware on black caviar leather and I’m about that life
  • Caviar mini - a unicorn bag to quote the wise @ChanelCanuck
  • Fits my iPhone pro max comfortably with room to spare
  • Strap drop was about 22” which is perfect for me to carry crossbody (I’m 5’7”... 5’6.75” if you want to get technical)
  • Exclusivity with it being a seasonal piece

Cons
  • No turnlock closure (sth I see more of an iconic feature for a Chanel bag, otherwise I didn’t see it being that diff from my WOCs)
  • No Mona Lisa pocket (same as above, but I could’ve let this go)
  • The hardware isn’t your traditional “so black” metal that I *believe* is produced from chemical reaction. This is lacquered metal, so more prone to chipping like @moimimi said
  • At the $4650 CAD price point and no increase (although it makes sense, as it’s not a classic), I just didn’t think it was worth it. If it were pre-increase square mini price ($3800 CAD) I prob would’ve kept it
  • Caviar leather is both a pro and a con, the con being it was a bit slouchier and shinier than my caviar BA (I don’t own other caviar bags so my BA is my only comparison)
  • The magnetic closure was strong, which is great for security purposes, but I found when I opened the bag it would pull on the leather, if that makes sense. Not sure if putting more things in the bag would alleviate that issue

Tl;dr
It depends on what’s important to you in a bag and the intended purpose of the bag. The lack of turnlock and lacquered metal was huge for me. It’s not really a fair comparison with the square mini as they’re not the same bag. If you’re just looking at the matte square as a separate bag with no square mini expectations, the outcome would prob be different! Still, at a price point just under the new price of the square mini, I’d still choose the square mini bc it’s *the* bag that I want. Any other substitution simply wouldn’t suffice.

Hope this helps and good luck with your decision!! :flowers:

Last edited:
Nope not a fan. When the collection was on the runway, it was coloured hardware but without the leather strap at the top of the chain, and without the magnetic closure (it was a CC twist closure). I was so horrified when the collection came out in stores and they had changed it to a magnetic closure. I'm sorry if I offend anyone who's bought this bag, that isn't my intention and I'm only here to share my personal thoughts about it... that magnetic closure makes it feel like it's a toy and not a C$5000 bag.

I think the reason the WOC's closure doesn't bother me is because the WOC is technically an SLG, whereas this is a handbag.

I really have no idea why Chanel decided to make this design. It's like they're being a spoiled brat by not manufacturing the caviar minis like everyone wants, and instead offering these designs that look like cheap knock-offs of the real thing.

Nope not a fan. When the collection was on the runway, it was coloured hardware but without the leather strap at the top of the chain, and without the magnetic closure (it was a CC twist closure). I was so horrified when the collection came out in stores and they had changed it to a magnetic closure. I'm sorry if I offend anyone who's bought this bag, that isn't my intention and I'm only here to share my personal thoughts about it... that magnetic closure makes it feel like it's a toy and not a C$5000 bag.

I think the reason the WOC's closure doesn't bother me is because the WOC is technically an SLG, whereas this is a handbag.

I really have no idea why Chanel decided to make this design. It's like they're being a spoiled brat by not manufacturing the caviar minis like everyone wants, and instead offering these designs that look like cheap knock-offs of the real thing.
The original So Black Classic Flap hardware finish were esp prone to metal wear and chipping especially around the CC twist closure, hence this is prob why it was changed to magnetic. I was drawn to it in the store and asked my SA about potential hardware chipping issues, she didn't say anything- but her expression said it all.

Reactions: meeow05
The original So Black Classic Flap hardware finish were esp prone to metal wear and chipping especially around the CC twist closure, hence this is prob why it was changed to magnetic. I was drawn to it in the store and asked my SA about potential hardware chipping issues, she didn't say anything- but her expression said it all.

They've made the So Black bags with the CC turnlock (or mademoiselle turnlock, or even Boy clasp) for so many seasons. I feel like they aren't going to be like "hmm we've had a lot of complaints about the So Black hardware chipping... let's modify the design for this one seasonal bag."

Is the hardware on the ultra matte square mini made of metal? For some reason it looks like plastic to me.

They've made the So Black bags with the CC turnlock (or mademoiselle turnlock, or even Boy clasp) for so many seasons. I feel like they aren't going to be like "hmm we've had a lot of complaints about the So Black hardware chipping... let's modify the design for this one seasonal bag."

Is the hardware on the ultra matte square mini made of metal? For some reason it looks like plastic to me.

Yeah, I can see why the hardware would look more “plastic” for the coloured bags. I originally got the black one and the CC logo is definitely metal and shinier in person. I wasn’t interested in the other colours and didn’t examine them, but I suspect it’s due to the matte finish on those that give off the plastic look?

On the website the ultra matte square is described with “lacquered metal”, whereas a crumpled calfskin So Black CF is described with “black metal”

Here’s a pic I took of the bag when I was agonizing over whether I should keep it or not, hope that helps!!

Attachments

• E9D2E7E6-13A6-437C-B1F3-72DAD96895E9.jpeg
    E9D2E7E6-13A6-437C-B1F3-72DAD96895E9.jpeg
    309.7 KB · Views: 37