Should I Buy Gift Now with PCE or Wait for Outlet or FOS? Poll!

What should I do about my friend's desire for the Navy and Dark Gunmetal Edie 36855 Bag?

• Buy it with PCE and give it to her as a gift

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Take a chance on getting a bargain on FOS or at the outlet and then give it as a less pricey gift

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Wait for a good sale and offer it to her for reimbursement or return but not as a gift

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tell her when you see it on sale and let her decide if she wants to buy it

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • Forget all about Edie and let her shop for her own bags!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

katev

"The Bag Whisperer!"
O.G.
Dec 18, 2009
I have a dear friend who has a good sense of style and wears nice looking, no-name bags. In the past she has admired my Coach bags but has never expressed an interest for herself. We exchange small gifts on special occasions but never anything expensive.

We saw each other yesterday and she complimented my bag and said "You know, I've never wanted a Coach bag but I saw one at Carson's recently that was just stunning! But it was $400 so of course I didn't buy it. It was a navy blue shoulder bag and had shiny black metal chain straps and 2 main compartments and a zipper and it really was gorgeous!"

She was smiling and excited when she talked about her dream bag and wistfully added the comment "I don't suppose that the Carson's sales are likely to include Coach bags!" I told her that the Friends and Family sale usually includes coach and she seemed interested and said "At least that would get it down to around $300!" but then added "I shouldn't even be thinking about a Coach purse!"

She and her husband recently bought a new house and they are doing renovations and decorating and I think that money is bit tight. And before that his company went out of business and he was out of work for awhile so that was tough.

I believe that the bag must have been the Edie 36855 DK NAV navy pebbled leather shoulder bag with dark gunmetal hardware that is currently available on the Coach website for $395, see pics below. Do you agree with my conclusion or is there another current/recent bag that matches that description and price?

I would like to buy it for her because it would be fun to give her something that her heart desires, but it would be an expensive gift and I don't want to make her feel obligated to buy pricey items for me in return. I already gave her a small gift for her new home so I can't even use that as a reason.

But if I decided to buy it for her, I could get it right now at the boutique with PCE. And if I added another $150 item that I have been looking at, I would get the full 30% off and that would bring the price down to $277, a good savings.

But that's still a much more costly gift than we usually give and with the spring/summer bags coming out now, it is possible that this bag will soon be available at the outlet or on the Factory Online Sale even cheaper.

If I found it at a really a good price at the outlet or on FOS I could tell her "it was such and bargain and I knew that you liked it so I bought it for you!" and that might make things easier. And if she insisted on paying me for it then it wouldn't be such an extravagant purchase.

Or I could buy it, but not as a gift - to avoid making her feel obligated - and just say "I knew you liked it and I saw it on sale so I took a chance and grabbed it in case you wanted it. If you do want it then just pay me $____, but if this isn't the bag you liked or you've changed your mind then I can easily return it."

Or maybe just tell her that I could get it for her at a discount if she wants; or maybe I should just forget about the whole thing!

What do you think I should do? Please use the poll above to give me your opinions, thanks!

Attachments

• 36855_dknav_a0.jpg
    36855_dknav_a0.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 250
  • 36855_a4.jpg
    36855_a4.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
I wouldn't buy it and then offer to sell it to her. That puts too much pressure on her. If you want to offer it to her and have her pay for it, ask her before you buy. It sounds like you want to do that so you can get 30% off your item as well, so she would be doing you a favor. If you want to give it as a gift, then don't accept payment for it. I'm leaning towards not giving it as a gift as it seems too expensive. I never get gifts so I don't know how I'd feel getting such an expensive gift from someone.

I wonder if this is one of the styles that will be deleted on March 15? I don't see any Edies in the email but that means nothing.

Reactions: katev