Should I accept a money order?

Mar 5, 2008
I am so sorry if this has already been covered; I did a search and could not find specific answers. I have a purse for sale and have listed a BIN. The buyer has asked if I would allow her to pay with cash or money order. I don't see why accepting a money order would be unsafe, but I wanted to ask the wise people on this forum to make sure! I have had a buyer send me a money order before with no problems. BTW, the potential buyer has 9 positive transactions (no negative or neutral). Also, if I choose to allow the money order, should I only accept a postal money order? TIA!

I accept Paypal and postal money order. I don't know how someone could scam you with a postal money order: you cash it when you receive it. I never had one but would be cool with it.

Agreed with the above comments.

I heard there is some scam/fraud going around with counterfeit money orders. At least with a postal money order, you're potentially safe. Then don't ship anything to her until you cash it at the PO and everything is OK.

Don't take it to your bank, take it to the PO to cash. They will know right away if it isn't legitimate.

onegirl, I didn't know the PO cashed money orders, thank you for letting me know!

I've emailed the buyer telling her that I will accept USPS money order. Thank you for everyone's responses!

onegirl, I didn't know the PO cashed money orders, thank you for letting me know!

I've emailed the buyer telling her that I will accept USPS money order. Thank you for everyone's responses!

They will ONLY cash their own postal MO's. But yes, as long as it isn't too much money, you shouldn't have any problems. If it's a lot, like $500+, then make sure you go to a PO that's VERY busy and has that kind of cash in their drawer.

I have only used money orders since 2000,over 1000 transactions,and I have never had a problem with it.
I prefer Usa post office money orders,but U can get them anywhere these days including most supermarket and name brand gas stations.
I ship after I cash them or at the same time at my favorite post office in NY state :14304.
Now that Ebay is forcing everybody 2 use Paypal or similar,I will not be selling anymore, it is 2 bad,but I will not give Ebay another cut ,2 is enough:listing fees and final value fees.