Short Notes on Hermes Leather

hermes.com is flooding with stock today (the number of bags almost doubled!) so I found some new descriptions, including this suede leather: Grizzly calfskin

Find out more about Grizzly calfskin
Grizzly calfskin is a suede leather obtained by sanding the flesh side of the leather. It is produced from large skins in order to obtain a rustic, tough-looking suede. Its name indicates its appearance and the uses to which it lends itself, comfortable and sporty.
First appeared in the collections: 2010
Appearance: Velvety
Feel: Quite soft
Hand: Very supple
Change over time: Quite delicate as all suede; acquires a patina by the flattening of hairs; becomes shinier in areas most handled

(ref - it was an evie: https://www.hermes.com/us/en/product/evelyne-iii-29-bag-H077641CCAA/ )

hermes.com is flooding with stock today (the number of bags almost doubled!) so I found some new descriptions, including this suede leather: Grizzly calfskin

Find out more about Grizzly calfskin
Grizzly calfskin is a suede leather obtained by sanding the flesh side of the leather. It is produced from large skins in order to obtain a rustic, tough-looking suede. Its name indicates its appearance and the uses to which it lends itself, comfortable and sporty.
First appeared in the collections: 2010
Appearance: Velvety
Feel: Quite soft
Hand: Very supple
Change over time: Quite delicate as all suede; acquires a patina by the flattening of hairs; becomes shinier in areas most handled

(ref - it was an evie: https://www.hermes.com/us/en/product/evelyne-iii-29-bag-H077641CCAA/ )
Holy crap you're right. The site is FLOODED with stock.

Reactions: momoc
Holy crap you're right. The site is FLOODED with stock.

people are stalking it in this thread :P
https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/post-ebay-web-hermes-finds.847812/page-1029

Besides releasing some hard to find stuff (like mini lindy or evelyne 16), the bags/sizes that are commonly on H.com got a ton of additional colors/leathers, some of them are really interesting. I'm still slowly going through to see if I find another leather previously not noted in this thread!

Reactions: TraceySH
Find out more about Sikkim calfskin
In a reference to India, the annual theme in the year it was launched, the name evokes an Indian state, a jewel of the Himalayas, nestled between Tibet and Bhutan.
First appeared in the collections: 2008
Appearance: Fairly glossy; minuscule, regular grain that is almost invisible
Feel: Soft, fine and light
Hand: A "pliable" calfskin that falls like a lambskin
Change over time: Becomes even softer

Find out more about Butler calfskin
The name of this unprecedented heritage leather, which sounds like "butter", evokes similar qualities of rich creaminess and conveys refined elegance and sensual pleasure.
First appeared in the collections: 2012
Appearance: Smooth; mottled; it has the transparency of a vegetable-tanned leather
Feel: Well-nourished and soft
Hand: Rich and full; mineral tanned for suppleness and a tight grain
Change over time: Acquires a patina; darkens; softens

Find out more about Doblis calfskin
Doblis calfskin is a sophisticated suede obtained by sanding the flesh side of the leather. The delicacy expected of suede means that only very small skins can be used. It is quite fine and very supple. Due to its elegance and the delicate colors that can be obtained, it is naturally destined for clutches and small evening bags.
First appeared in the collections: 1930s
Appearance: Velvety and shimmering
Feel: Silky and soft
Hand: Supple and yielding
Change over time: The very delicate Doblis keeps its velvety look over time; becomes shinier in areas most handled

Does anyone have any experience/tips for Sikkim (sikkam?) leather?
Thanks in advance.
I know its slouchy and soft but can it be worn in rain? how is it with scratches? can it be spa'd

My Sikkim leather Double Sens (both sides same leather just different colours) has been frequently hit in rain. I try to wipe it down with tissue as soon I can and then dry naturally completely before I put it away (in a dust bag not box). Absolutely fine. Not sure if it can be spa'd - don't see why not.

Although I could probably store flat without, I keep a cotton-velvet cushion inside.

No way could I carry such a large 'shopper' all day in a heavier double-sided leather. Love it.

My Sikkim leather Double Sens (both sides same leather just different colours) has been frequently hit in rain. I try to wipe it down with tissue as soon I can and then dry naturally completely before I put it away (in a dust bag not box). Absolutely fine. Not sure if it can be spa'd - don't see why not.

Although I could probably store flat without, I keep a cotton-velvet cushion inside.

No way could I carry such a large 'shopper' all day in a heavier double-sided leather. Love it.
thank you for your response !

Reactions: papertiger
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if someone could help me with the similarities / differences between Chamkila and Mysore.

I am familiar with Chamkila and love it... how does Mysore compare to to it?

Thank you.

These posts might help -

mysore vs chamkila calvi comparison photos in same color

and some more posts by the same member

(thank you to @DoggieBags !)

Since I didn't see either of these in here and I've done a lot of research on them:

Evercalf

Description: Related and similar to Box Calf, it has similar characteristics, but is softer to the touch and a more matte appearance.
First appeared in the collections: unknown
Appearance: Smooth and matte; deep tone; long, fine grain
Feel: Matte and ultra-smooth
Hand: Round, firm and full (similar, but less "waxy" than Box Calf)
Change over time: Like Box Calf, it's delicate; sensitive to scratches at first, acquires a beautiful patina; the color is prone to wear/fade; keeps its shape

Dwich Evercalf

Description: A variation on Evercalf that's been stretched over a metal grid to produce a waffle-like embossed pattern.
First appeared in the collections: Limited to SS 2003 Collection
Appearance: Smooth and matte; deep tone; long, fine grain; distinctive embossed "waffle" pattern.
Feel: Matte and ultra-smooth
Hand: Round, firm and full (similar, but less "waxy" than Box Calf)
Change over time: Like Box Calf, it's delicate; sensitive to scratches at first, acquires a beautiful patina; the color is prone to wear/fade; keeps its shape

Find out more about Tadelakt calfskin
Its waxy look and marbled tones are reminiscent of tadelakt, a traditional wall coating used in Morocco to cover the walls of hammams and bathrooms.
First appeared in the collections: 2007
Appearance: Semi-glossy; mottled; uneven color
Feel: Smooth and silky; slightly waxy
Hand: Firm and full
Change over time: Becomes more satiny and keeps its shape