Short Notes on Hermes Leather

But this is not Navicular’s own opinion, he has painstakingly given us Hermes’ official descriptions of their own leathers, from the Special Order box.

It's always welcome to have such information. It's great that navicular has given us info on the leathers s/he is/has enjoyed. I like that this H version doesn't have loaded language, however, I was saying, it's more helpful to us buyers and potential (that spend thousands of @£$) to have personal experiences with these leathers so that we can assess with empirical evidence including the actual product, dates and usage/storage.

All of us know as owners of these leathers, there are always variations from batch to batch in thickness, colour, grain size etc of each leather type, however much the tanneries try for consistency. This may simply be taken as a general and useful guide to the expected characteristics, from the Maison itself. Afterall, every store has this printed on the back of the leather examples and must have been sent out at great cost, for a very good reason. Useful for those who are starting out and do not have an existing collection to learn from. I am sure all of us also learn to take any posts of personal experience with the leathers as objectively as possible. One person’s idea of normal usage may not be the same as another’s and thus the resulting wear would be different.

As a self-confessed Hermes nerd, my home store has allowed me to spend many hours of quiet study in the closeted rooms of the boutique, with the special order leather coffret (that red box) as my reference material. Over time, I've made pages of handwritten notes about all the various leathers I own from Hermes - after all, knowing the nuances of the different skins elevates my appreciation of the items I use in my daily life.

These notes, reproduced from the coffret, are the official descriptions from Hermes and will supplement the robust fund of knowledge in our reference threads.

Enjoy!

*****************************************************************************************************************************************

Veau Togo

Description: This leather, the result of an intensive drumming process that brings out its natural features, owes its name to the theme of the year of its creation: Africa. It is named after an African country.
First appeared in the collections: 1997
Appearance: Matt; round and irregular grain; veins and wrinkles often visible and very pronounced
Feel: Dry; quite responsive; well-rounded
Hand: Supple and responsive
Change over time: Softens

Taurillon Clemence

Description: Named in tribute to the daughter of the designer who introduced it into the collections, this leather was developed for luggage and is the ultimate example of a grained leather that has been drummed. This process softens the skin and brings a generous grain to the surface.
First appeared in the collections: 1992
Appearance: Semi-matt, generous and irregular grain
Feel: Soft and creamy
Hand: Yielding
Change over time: Becomes more supple

Taurillion Maurice

Description: A new bullcalf with a comforting, small, round and well-defined grain. Offers an alternative to Clemence, with better hold.
First appeared in the collections: 2017
Appearance: Small, round, full and fairly regular grain. Satiny, wide range of colors
Feel: Quite neutral, softens over time
Hand: Supple and very responsive, well-rounded hand
Change over time: Keeps its responsiveness, the surface becomes more satiny

Taurillon Cristobal

Description: Cristobal leather is a very fine-grained leather that is almost completely smooth. Its name refers to Christopher Columbus. Very understated, its matt appearance with dark, muted colors makes it a very masculine leather.
First appeared in the collections: 2013
Appearance: Imperceptible, very fine drummed grain that is regular and understated
Feel: Quite dry
Hand: Supple and soft
Change over time: Becomes glossier, darker and more satiny

Veau Epsom

Description: This printed leather takes its name from a town in south-east England that is famous for its horse races. Its fine, regular grain, obtained through machine-printing, has a striking, beautifully subtle dual tone.
First appeared in the collections: 2004
Appearance: Small, regular and slightly glossy grain; uniform; deep colors
Feel: Dry, with a slightly "up and down" grain
Hand: Round and firm
Change over time: Keeps its shape, scratch-resistant. The grain fades in areas exposed to a lot of contact or rubbing

Veau Swift

Description: This extremely supple, sophisticated leather is named after Jonathan Swift, the author of Gulliver’s Travels, to highlight its resemblance to Gulliver calfskin, which no longer features in today’s collections.
Appearance: Almost smooth with a delicate shine; lightly marked grain that is sometimes hardly noticeable
Feel: Soft and tender
Hand: Supple and generous
Change over time: Becomes even more supple

Boxcalf

Description: Emblematic of Hermes, this calfskin took its name from the "Box" tanning technique that originated in England and which uses a specific skill to give the leather a particular hand and appearance, bringing the richly deep, dark hues to life.
First appeared in the collections: 1920s
Appearance: Smooth and glossy; deep tone; long, fine grain
Feel: Polished and ultra-smooth
Hand: Round, firm and full
Change over time: Delicate; sensitive to scratches at first, acquires a beautiful patina; the glossiness fades; keeps its shape

Barenia

Description: Originally, Barenia leather was tanned near the village of Barr in Alsace, Eastern France - hence its name. Emblematic of Hermes, it is described by craftsmen as magical because it absorbs marks and light scratches when used.
First appeared in the collections: 1970
Appearance: Smooth, matte and mottled; veins and wrinkles are visible due to transparency
Feel: Full bodied and well nourished
Change over time: Quickly develops a patina, darkening in areas most handled and becoming glossier and softer with time

Veau Evergrain

Description: In the same family as Evercalf calfskin, it has a similar softness but a discreet printed grain that is extremely regular, as its name suggests.
Appearance: A fine grain which is regular and light; satiny
Feel: Grain almost undetectable
Hand: Supple and yielding
Change over time: Becomes shinier and softer

Veau Evercolor

Description: Complementary to Evergrain calfskin, this leather has a similar suppleness and comes in a wide palette of "forever" colors.
First appeared in the collections: 2012
Appearance: Satiny; small, regular grain obtained by printing
Feel: Grain more visible than that of Evergrain calfskin
Change over time: Softens and becomes shinier

Veau Sombrero

Description: This leather was initially developed for men’s bags. Less classical than Box calfskin and less raw than Barenia, Sombrero calfskin is a very urban leather.
First appeared in the collections: 2011
Appearance: Ultra-matt; even color; dark
Feel: Dry
Hand: Firm
Change over time: Keeps its shape; becomes more satiny in the areas handled most often

Veau Negonda

Description: Negonda calfskin is the only Hermes leather obtained through shrinking. Prior to tanning, the skins are given a treatment that makes them contract. What they lose in size they gain in density, and their natural characteristics are accentuated. The wrinkles are marked, and the grain is firm and irregular.
First appeared in the collections: 2002
Appearance: Deeply grained; quite matt; "comforting"
Hand: Round; quite responsive
Change over time: Becomes slightly satiny and more supple

Veau Alamo

Description: This leather is very supple and yielding, with a small but quite pronounced grain, in solid, strong and uniform shades.
Appearance: Small, regular and reassuring grain
Feel: Very supple, accentuated by intensive drumming
Hand: Yielding and full
Change over time: It becomes more supple and markedly more satiny in the areas most handled; the colors stay stable

Hunter Cowhide

Description: This leather is named after an equestrian discipline that places as much importance on technique as elegance. 100% vegetable tanned, very firm hand, thick and dense, this leather is perfectly suited to flap structures, fastening cords and straps.
First appeared in the collections: 1998
Appearance: Smooth; slightly satiny
Feel: Smooth and soft
Hand: Very firm hand
Change over time: Stable; becomes slightly more satiny

Chevre Mysore

Description: As its name – borrowed from a southern Indian town – suggests, the raw hide comes from India. It is recognizable by its unique grain, obtained through boarding. This consists of rolling the leather against itself, grain against grain, to guide the grain. This can be done in a single direction to obtain fine lines or in several different directions.
First appeared in the collections: 1990s
Appearance: Irregular but harmonious grain; slight shine that reveals all the natural features of goatskin
Feel: Fairly dry; softens with time
Hand: Supple
Change over time: Becomes more supple and satiny

Milo Lambskin

Description: Milo lambskin is none other than the lambskin used for gloves. Its name, which refers to the Venus de Milo, evokes its natural beauty and elegance.
First appeared in the collections: 2005
Appearance: Smooth and slightly glossy
Feel: Very soft
Hand: Extremely supple; originally used for gloves
Change over time: Becomes more supple and moulds itself completely to the required shape

Ostrich

Description: Ostrich skin is identifiable by its follicles, the points from which the feathers grow. In order to prevent them from lifting or getting damaged, Hermes flattens them and triples the skin. This is what gives this precious material its unique appearance.
First appeared in the collections: 1920
Appearance: Very pronounced dual tone
Feel: Felted
Hand: Round and firm, due to the tripling
Change over time: Particularly sensitive to light; darkens with use and takes on a satiny shine but retains its shape

*****************************************************************************************************************************************

PS: The above list is not exhaustive as I've only annotated about leathers I currently own.

This is gold! thank you very much :hbeat:

Reactions: DrTr and navicular
:flowers:
As a self-confessed Hermes nerd, my home store has allowed me to spend many hours of quiet study in the closeted rooms of the boutique, with the special order leather coffret (that red box) as my reference material. Over time, I've made pages of handwritten notes about all the various leathers I own from Hermes - after all, knowing the nuances of the different skins elevates my appreciation of the items I use in my daily life.

These notes, reproduced from the coffret, are the official descriptions from Hermes and will supplement the robust fund of knowledge in our reference threads.

Enjoy!

Veau Togo

Description: This leather, the result of an intensive drumming process that brings out its natural features, owes its name to the theme of the year of its creation: Africa. It is named after an African country.
Appearance: Matt; round and irregular grain; veins and wrinkles often visible and very pronounced

Taurillon Clemence

Description: Named in tribute to the daughter of the designer who introduced it into the collections, this leather was developed for luggage and is the ultimate example of a grained leather that has been drummed. This process softens the skin and brings a generous grain to the surface.

Taurillion Maurice

Description: A new bullcalf with a comforting, small, round and well-defined grain. Offers an alternative to Clemence, with better hold.
Appearance: Small, round, full and fairly regular grain. Satiny, wide range of colors

Taurillon Cristobal

Description: Cristobal leather is a very fine-grained leather that is almost completely smooth. Its name refers to Christopher Columbus. Very understated, its matt appearance with dark, muted colors makes it a very masculine leather.
Appearance: Imperceptible, very fine drummed grain that is regular and understated

Veau Epsom

Description: This printed leather takes its name from a town in south-east England that is famous for its horse races. Its fine, regular grain, obtained through machine-printing, has a striking, beautifully subtle dual tone.
Change over time: Keeps its shape, scratch-resistant. The grain fades in areas exposed to a lot of contact or rubbing

Veau Swift

Description: This extremely supple, sophisticated leather is named after Jonathan Swift, the author of Gulliver’s Travels, to highlight its resemblance to Gulliver calfskin, which no longer features in today’s collections.
Appearance: Almost smooth with a delicate shine; lightly marked grain that is sometimes hardly noticeable

Boxcalf

Description: Emblematic of Hermes, this calfskin took its name from the "Box" tanning technique that originated in England and which uses a specific skill to give the leather a particular hand and appearance, bringing the richly deep, dark hues to life.
Change over time: Delicate; sensitive to scratches at first, acquires a beautiful patina; the glossiness fades; keeps its shape

Barenia

Description: Originally, Barenia leather was tanned near the village of Barr in Alsace, Eastern France - hence its name. Emblematic of Hermes, it is described by craftsmen as magical because it absorbs marks and light scratches when used.
Appearance: Smooth, matte and mottled; veins and wrinkles are visible due to transparency
Change over time: Quickly develops a patina, darkening in areas most handled and becoming glossier and softer with time

Veau Evergrain

Description: In the same family as Evercalf calfskin, it has a similar softness but a discreet printed grain that is extremely regular, as its name suggests.

Veau Evercolor

Description: Complementary to Evergrain calfskin, this leather has a similar suppleness and comes in a wide palette of "forever" colors.

Veau Sombrero

Description: This leather was initially developed for men’s bags. Less classical than Box calfskin and less raw than Barenia, Sombrero calfskin is a very urban leather.
Change over time: Keeps its shape; becomes more satiny in the areas handled most often

Veau Negonda

Description: Negonda calfskin is the only Hermes leather obtained through shrinking. Prior to tanning, the skins are given a treatment that makes them contract. What they lose in size they gain in density, and their natural characteristics are accentuated. The wrinkles are marked, and the grain is firm and irregular.

Veau Alamo

Description: This leather is very supple and yielding, with a small but quite pronounced grain, in solid, strong and uniform shades.
Change over time: It becomes more supple and markedly more satiny in the areas most handled; the colors stay stable

Hunter Cowhide

Description: This leather is named after an equestrian discipline that places as much importance on technique as elegance. 100% vegetable tanned, very firm hand, thick and dense, this leather is perfectly suited to flap structures, fastening cords and straps.

Chevre Mysore

Description: As its name – borrowed from a southern Indian town – suggests, the raw hide comes from India. It is recognizable by its unique grain, obtained through boarding. This consists of rolling the leather against itself, grain against grain, to guide the grain. This can be done in a single direction to obtain fine lines or in several different directions.
Appearance: Irregular but harmonious grain; slight shine that reveals all the natural features of goatskin

Milo Lambskin

Description: Milo lambskin is none other than the lambskin used for gloves. Its name, which refers to the Venus de Milo, evokes its natural beauty and elegance.
Change over time: Becomes more supple and moulds itself completely to the required shape

Ostrich

Description: Ostrich skin is identifiable by its follicles, the points from which the feathers grow. In order to prevent them from lifting or getting damaged, Hermes flattens them and triples the skin. This is what gives this precious material its unique appearance.
Change over time: Particularly sensitive to light; darkens with use and takes on a satiny shine but retains its shape

PS: The above list is not exhaustive as I've only annotated about leathers I currently own.

Thanks so much for your work in posting this! :flowers: There is additional information in this link that may be helpful, too:

https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/reference-hermes-groupie-s-leather-book.49095/

Reactions: navicular

Enjoy!

Veau Togo

Taurillon Clemence

Taurillion Maurice

Taurillon Cristobal

Veau Epsom

Veau Swift

Boxcalf

Barenia

Veau Evergrain

Veau Evercolor

Veau Sombrero

Veau Negonda

Veau Alamo

Hunter Cowhide

Chevre Mysore

Milo Lambskin

Ostrich

Special thanks for information about the origin of the names. :flowers: Those have always been a mystery to me.

I find it fascinating that approximately 70 years of leather offerings are listed here- I’m assuming it only relates to leathers that are (still) currently in production ...those definitely are what I would consider “heritage” leathers...I wonder where Classic Barenia was first used (and rumor has it still being used) ?
You'll the answer to your question on Barenia on the very first post of this thread. :smile:

You'll the answer to your question on Barenia on the very first post of this thread. :smile:

I knew I couldn’t have been the only noting these down :smile: when I get time to my computer I will add in the other blurbs I have saved that’s not been listed!

Edit: realized the OP saved these from cards! That's even more work than my copy pasting from the website. Kudos!

Last edited:
Here are some more I've saved that's not listed in the first post. I grab them from hermes.com whenever I browse and see a new one :smile:

Find out more about Allegretto calfskin
Its name refers to the wide range of cheerful and vibrant colors it offers. This leather with a flat but generous grain has great softness, giving a reassuring look.
First appeared in the collections: 2018
Appearance: Fairly ample, barely marked grain, for a reassuring appearance
Feel: Extremely soft
Hand: Yielding and relatively firm
Change over time: Maintains its shape. Becomes satiny in the areas that are handled most often

Find out more about Barenia Faubourg calfskin
An all-new heritage leather and re-interpretation of Barenia calfskin. This Hermes-exclusive grain is associated with 24, Faubourg Saint-Honore.
First appeared in the collections: 2016
Appearance: A minuscule printed grain which reproduces a drum grain
Feel: Waxy; velvety
Hand: Relaxed and generous; more supple than Barenia
Change over time: Acquires a patina like Barenia; darkens in the most exposed areas

Find out more about Chamkila goatskin
In the tradition of our goatskins, all of which come from India, this is a leather of superlative elegance, with a small, very smooth and ultra-shiny grain. Chamkila, meaning "shiny" in Hindi, gives it its name.
Appearance: Small and irregular but harmonious grain
Feel: Small grain almost imperceptible to the touch
Hand: Firm and yielding
Change over time: High propensity to develop a patina

Find out more about Country cowhide
A leather developed specifically for the all-leather or two-material versions of the Garden Party bag, which inspired its name: with a sporty, relaxed quality, it evokes a life spent outdoors.
Appearance: Satiny; irregular printed grain to reproduce a drum grain
Feel: Fairly dry
Hand: Fairly firm
Change over time: Maintains its hold

Find out more about Monsieur calfskin
A nod to Box calfskin, considered the king of leathers. Under the Ancien Regime, "Monsieur" was the title given to the king’s younger brother. A smooth leather with an understated satiny finish, firm hand, and distinguished appearance.
Appearance: Great finesse, allowing the depth to shine through
Feel: Smooth, satiny, exquisitely refined
Hand: Tight grain, well-rounded hand
Change over time: Fairly stable, it maintains its hold. Takes on a slight satiny shine in the areas that are most often handled

Find out more about grained Monsieur calfskin
A nod to Box calfskin, considered the king of leathers. Under the Ancien Regime, "Monsieur" was the title given to the king’s younger brother. A leather with an understated satiny finish, a firm hand, and a tiny grain - slightly pronounced with a delicate two-tone effect.
Appearance: Great finesse, light finish, with a regular, miniature Epsom grain
Hand: Tight grain, well-rounded hand
Change over time: Fairly stable, it maintains its hold. Takes on a slight satiny shine in the areas that are most often handled

Find out more about Novillo leather
This leather has a tiny marked grain and is appealingly responsive at heart. In Spain, where this leather originates, "novillo" means "bullcalf".
First appeared in the collections: 2015
Appearance: Tiny, uniform grain and a satin effect
Feel: Waxy
Hand: Supple, full and responsive
Change over time: Becomes satiny and more supple

Find out more about Sombrero II calfskin
This Sombrero calfskin, slightly more satiny than its forerunner, has abandoned its initial matt appearance. It is therefore better suited to mixed use.
Appearance: Slightly satiny, even color, dark
Feel: Dry, softer than Sombrero calfskin
Change over time: Keeps its hold, the surface becomes more satiny in the areas that are handled most often

Find out more about Villandry calfskin
Smooth and fine, with a regal appearance that resonates with the chateau of the same name in the Loire Valley in France. It is elegant, delicate and refined.
First appeared in the collections: 2016
Appearance: Smooth, delicate shine, even color, colorful
Feel: Soft and silky
Hand: Fairly firm
Change over time: Becomes satiny in the areas that are handled most often