Ode to Chevre

Thank you, I'll just go with the one I think looks best in pics. It's the Calvi in Anémone and on the EU website they have it in these two chèvre versions. I'm not an Hermès connoisseur, I doubt I'd have noticed much of a difference if I hadn't known there is supposed to be one :smile: Learning...
Mysore (photo www.hermes.com/fr)
View attachment 4871298
Chamkila (photo www.hermes.com/fr)
View attachment 4871299
You probably can't go wrong with either one. I have the anemone calvi in chèvre mysore. I purchased it right before lockdown due to COVID (and actually received it several months later) so haven't had a chance to use it. The bastia is in vert bosphore. Both feel quite sturdy, but it sounds like you're leaning towards the chèvre chamkila.

Thank you, I'll just go with the one I think looks best in pics. It's the Calvi in Anémone and on the EU website they have it in these two chèvre versions. I'm not an Hermès connoisseur, I doubt I'd have noticed much of a difference if I hadn't known there is supposed to be one :smile: Learning...
Mysore (photo www.hermes.com/fr)
View attachment 4871298
Chamkila (photo www.hermes.com/fr)
View attachment 4871299

Maybe this post will be helpful to you - a members’ chamkila and Mysore Calvis side by side photos (in anemone too)! I can definitely see the difference better in these side by side photos, very useful if you are wondering just how different they look.

Also, here are the official Hermes descriptions for the leathers:

Find out more about Chamkila goatskin
In the tradition of our goatskins, all of which come from India, this is a leather of superlative elegance, with a small, very smooth and ultra-shiny grain. Chamkila, meaning "shiny" in Hindi, gives it its name.
First appeared in the collections: 2018
Appearance: Small and irregular but harmonious grain
Feel: Small grain almost imperceptible to the touch
Hand: Firm and yielding
Change over time: High propensity to develop a patina

Find out more about Mysore goatskin
As its name – borrowed from a southern Indian town – suggests, the raw hide comes from India. It is recognizable by its unique grain, obtained through boarding. This consists of rolling the leather against itself, grain against grain, to guide the grain. This can be done in a single direction to obtain fine lines or in several different directions.
First appeared in the collections: 1990s
Appearance: Irregular but harmonious grain; slight shine that reveals all the natural features of goatskin
Feel: Fairly dry; softens with time
Hand: Supple
Change over time: Becomes more supple and satiny

Last edited:
Maybe this post will be helpful to you - a members’ chamkila and Mysore Calvis side by side photos (in anemone too)! I can definitely see the difference better in these side by side photos, very useful if you are wondering just how different they look.

Also, here are the official Hermes descriptions for the leathers:

Find out more about Chamkila goatskin
In the tradition of our goatskins, all of which come from India, this is a leather of superlative elegance, with a small, very smooth and ultra-shiny grain. Chamkila, meaning "shiny" in Hindi, gives it its name.
First appeared in the collections: 2018
Appearance: Small and irregular but harmonious grain
Feel: Small grain almost imperceptible to the touch
Hand: Firm and yielding
Change over time: High propensity to develop a patina

Find out more about Mysore goatskin
As its name – borrowed from a southern Indian town – suggests, the raw hide comes from India. It is recognizable by its unique grain, obtained through boarding. This consists of rolling the leather against itself, grain against grain, to guide the grain. This can be done in a single direction to obtain fine lines or in several different directions.
First appeared in the collections: 1990s
Appearance: Irregular but harmonious grain; slight shine that reveals all the natural features of goatskin
Feel: Fairly dry; softens with time
Hand: Supple
Change over time: Becomes more supple and satiny
Many thanks for this :flowers: From the pics you linked, I think I do prefer the Chamkila although every detail tends to get exaggerated in closeups of smaller items, like the Calvi.

Hermès are confusing me though with the "Hand" thing:
Chamkila-Firm and yielding.
Mysore-Supple.
How can it be firm and yielding at the same time? Wouldn't that be similar to supple?! :confused1: :smile: I hope @DoggieBags will show up and let us know what she thinks of her two Anémone Calvis. But from what I've seen and read so far, I want the Chamkila Calvi. And not to overthink an to be often used item that is (in terms of tPF) easily replaced, I'm hoping to order it today.

Many thanks for this :flowers: From the pics you linked, I think I do prefer the Chamkila although every detail tends to get exaggerated in closeups of smaller items, like the Calvi.

Mysore-Supple.
How can it be firm and yielding at the same time? Wouldn't that be similar to supple?! :confused1: :smile: I hope @DoggieBags will show up and let us know what she thinks of her two Anémone Calvis. But from what I've seen and read so far, I want the Chamkila Calvi. And not to overthink an to be often used item that is (in terms of tPF) easily replaced, I'm hoping to order it today.

I have a chevre Mysore calvi in bleu encre and a chamkila in bambou so maybe I can help if you haven’t ordered already. In terms of a calvi, chamkila is smooth and feels more solid than mysore. It is a firmer leather and yet when you hold it, it will still flex and bounce back to its shape. Contrast that with an evercolour leather calvi will soften a lot into butter over time.

I really like chamkila and I hope to order it in a bag one day. I’m not sure why as a calvi it will command a premium price but in bags (like cinhetic or verrou that it is made in) it is the same price as mysore!

Mysore-Supple.

I interpret that as “it’s firm but it can still yield”. I would assume that it’s firmer than Mysore based on the descriptions. Hope you get your calvi soon!

My bastia in chèvre mysore has been forever shuffled about in my work bags and it still looks pretty good.

Wow, it still looks basically new!

Does anyone has images they could share of heavily used chevre SLGs in even lighter colors than this? I bought a very light SLG (bleu brume) but now I'm second-guessing because I don't like to baby my things, least of all SLGs which get tossed in a bag.