shopping my own stash

sdkitty

O.G.
Jan 16, 2006
Recently I've been on a hair and brow obsession. I decided powder makeup (lined first with pencil) was better than the cream/gel stuff I had. I started playing around with my brown eye shadows. I discovered two that work (NYX), then went into my drawer and found an old Smashbox one that's even better. Don't recall why I put it away but now it's back in use.
For my hair, I was going to buy new shampoo and found a bunch of sample hair products and two half-used shampoos.
Do you stash things and forget about them?

Yes, I stash and forget things all the time. I buy makeup and then put it in a drawer to use after I finish using what is currently on my dresser. The problem is that it takes a long time to finish a product, so the new items languish in my drawer. I have tried to make myself stop buying until I need something, but I'm always finding new things I want to try.
My big downfall is lipstick. I have forced myself to wear it every day, even if I am working at home full time and no one sees me. Despite reapplying often throughout the day, I was not able to make a dent in my collection. So last week I severely edited my lipsticks. I tried on every shade (found that they were all remarkably similar) and decided what were my top two for spring summer, and top two for fall/winter. Then I threw the rest away. I felt bad for a moment, but I am relieved now when I don't see all those unloved lipsticks crowding my makeup tray.
With shampoos and skin care, I have been more successful. During the pandemic when I wasn't traveling, I pulled out all my travel and half-used bottles and made myself finish them before I restocked.

Yes, I stash and forget things all the time. I buy makeup and then put it in a drawer to use after I finish using what is currently on my dresser. The problem is that it takes a long time to finish a product, so the new items languish in my drawer. I have tried to make myself stop buying until I need something, but I'm always finding new things I want to try.
My big downfall is lipstick. I have forced myself to wear it every day, even if I am working at home full time and no one sees me. Despite reapplying often throughout the day, I was not able to make a dent in my collection. So last week I severely edited my lipsticks. I tried on every shade (found that they were all remarkably similar) and decided what were my top two for spring summer, and top two for fall/winter. Then I threw the rest away. I felt bad for a moment, but I am relieved now when I don't see all those unloved lipsticks crowding my makeup tray.
With shampoos and skin care, I have been more successful. During the pandemic when I wasn't traveling, I pulled out all my travel and half-used bottles and made myself finish them before I restocked.
I've thrown out some lipsticks too.
Along with the Smashbox eye shadow I'd forgotten about I found an old MAC eyeshadow that I stored for some reason and a Smashbox sample packet with a mascara and a white eye shadow. I also went into storage and found my teeth whitening tray that I hadn't seen for a couple of years. I try to keep my storage organized but still sometimes forget what I have or where I put it.

Reactions: bagshopr
I recently went through all my makeup and had to chuck out several items - I was truely shocked how much I had accumulated, how much I hadn't worn and how old it was - which just gave me a good excuse to invest in some new stuff...:angel:. However, I did keep an Hourglass blush and an Hourglass powder. I think mascara and eyeliners are the most dodgy tbh..

I recently went through all my makeup and had to chuck out several items - I was truely shocked how much I had accumulated, how much I hadn't worn and how old it was - which just gave me a good excuse to invest in some new stuff...:angel:. However, I did keep an Hourglass blush and an Hourglass powder. I think mascara and eyeliners are the most dodgy tbh..
mascara is the thing that's most concerning....some people say old lippies get smelly but I haven't experienced that. powder product seems to last forever for me. I have two samples from Nars - a blush and a highlighter. They look small but they will last me a long time.

Reactions: octopus17
I’m really trying to not buy as much makeup because I’m no longer wearing it every day; and I have more than any human will need in their lifetime.

My downfall are eyeshadows and foundations. I’m not too worried about eyeshadow going bad, so at the moment I find searching GRWM and whatever palette or eyeshadow brand I’m using on YouTube definitely helps to give me a creative boost.

I’m really trying to not buy as much makeup because I’m no longer wearing it every day; and I have more than any human will need in their lifetime.

My downfall are eyeshadows and foundations. I’m not too worried about eyeshadow going bad, so at the moment I find searching GRWM and whatever palette or eyeshadow brand I’m using on YouTube definitely helps to give me a creative boost.
I have enough eyeshadow and blush to maybe last me forever. Foundation I do use up and it seems I'm always looking for a better one/better color match.

I have enough eyeshadow and blush to maybe last me forever. Foundation I do use up and it seems I'm always looking for a better one/better color match.
I think powders might survive the apocalypse, lol. The perfect foundation is the Holy Grail of makeup imo. It's a minefield! The most perfect foundations I have found for me are Chanel (who have also produced ones that were terrible imo), one in the early 1990s (Teint Mat?), and more recently Les Beiges Tinted Moisturizer in Medium Light. The Les Beiges one I hadn't worn for at least over a year, so I was indeed shopping my own stash. And it looked great (I even had a very kind younger lady commenting on my skin. I said it was genes and also I was glad all that money I'd spent on skincare hadn't been wasted over the years, lol, but I was wearing that Chanel tinted moisturiser at the time. Drink had been taken though :lol:).

I think powders might survive the apocalypse, lol. The perfect foundation is the Holy Grail of makeup imo. It's a minefield! The most perfect foundations I have found for me are Chanel (who have also produced ones that were terrible imo),
This literally happened to me about a month ago. I thought maybe I should try another less expensive brand. And I went to Ulta. Big mistake! Ulta had a policy where you couldn’t touch the pressed powder and they gave me the wrong shade. I looked like a vampire in Clinique’s pressed powder. The actual finish is 5 shades lighter than it looks in the compact. And I was in one of the darker tones. I returned 3 different shades and felt horrible. My husband said, that was my lesson for cheaping out on Chanel lol.
I’ve tried a bunch and no one makes foundation as good as Chanel. So in the end I went back and bought another Chanel LE TEINT ULTRA TENUE ULTRAWEAR.

Going out the main things I wear are Nars TM, Blasco concealer, Dior pencil for brow and some black mascara (whichever is most recently promising miracles). Everything else if I have time. These get repeats and I already have back-ups. I can't even tell you how old the Blasco concealer is - probably last century LOL. The only eyeshadow I use 'all the time' is a matte Bourjois little round pot in a transition shade.

Pat McGrath is bringing out a new Mothership (eyeshadow) palate and everyone is getting all excited YT and Insta etc and I'm just looking at my 5 collected over a few years I have already (2 were gifts) and thinking 'how do people get through it all'? Eye shadow is the most irresistible and foolish. My last Charlotte Tilbury and Chanel sets from a few years ago don't get used as much as they should and I remember having to have them. No more. Quite happy with myself I've bought none for more than a year.

I found an unopened neutral Dior palette that came out out years ago and I'd forgotten about and I'm really happy with it. One the other hand I binned some Holiday YSL and ES, there's so much good stuff that I have already, no need to keep iffy/just OK.

Lots of bronzers came out last year but I have plenty from YSL and Guerlain already that are great from my skin-tone (colours others hate - the dreaded orange suits me well as I have peach undertones).

Blushers and highlighters I have already too, mostly Dior and hourglass. I don't mind iridescent, but anything too gold or overly glittery has gone in the bin recently. Finishing powders Guerlain Meteorites x 2 and Hourglass x 2 I have already too. I know the Meteorites will last 'forever' and not sure the Hourglass are worth buying repeats. 'Normal' translucent setting powder I have too (LM or Kroylan) because I hardly ever use, same for setting spays and even primers. All those stages take time so whatever occasion has to be important, I'd rather use the time for something else - like dancing.

I have bought quite a few lipsticks lately too even though I don't wear them every day in normal times - Hermes x 3, LBR, Bond No9 x 2, Dior (ridiculous when I think of the mask situation). I'm happy with the colours, formulas and great packaging so I'm not upset with myself.

This year I finished my brush collection and I'm hoping I never have to buy another ever. I have one professional set that covers all sizes, shapes and eventualities I bought when still student (synthetic and natural), a LM travel set from years ago, some kabuki and mixed fibre brushes that suit my style (also old now) and some very expensive Japanese fude. I am done for the next 20 years. I seriously look after my brushes and now they can look after me.

I need nothing.

This literally happened to me about a month ago. I thought maybe I should try another less expensive brand. And I went to Ulta. Big mistake! Ulta had a policy where you couldn’t touch the pressed powder and they gave me the wrong shade. I looked like a vampire in Clinique’s pressed powder. The actual finish is 5 shades lighter than it looks in the compact. And I was in one of the darker tones. I returned 3 different shades and felt horrible. My husband said, that was my lesson for cheaping out on Chanel lol.
I’ve tried a bunch and no one makes foundation as good as Chanel. So in the end I went back and bought another Chanel LE TEINT ULTRA TENUE ULTRAWEAR.
I haven't tried an expensive foundation for a long time. I used Armani, which was considered one of the best, for a long time and never found it to be that special.
Is Chanel really that good?

I haven't tried an expensive foundation for a long time. I used Armani, which was considered one of the best, for a long time and never found it to be that special.
Is Chanel really that good?

I heard lots of good things about Armani. But Chanel is extremely good. Lines like Chanel, Armani, Dior are probably going to be very similar and I wonder if it is all the same manufacturer that make it for these brands.

Reactions: sdkitty
I just looked at reviews for the chanel on makeupally. as with pretty much any product, some loved it and some did not.
I used to buy Chanel everything from eyeliner to foundation. The Chanel eyeliner is meh. But the pressed powder is incredible. The coverage isn’t overbearing/ cakey but perfectly sheer and mattifying. I don’t remember much about the Chanel foundation either. I now use maybeline and benefit eyeliner. I found that some cheaper drugstore stuff is pretty much the same.

Reactions: sdkitty