Shopping in Europe

Michy1215

O.G.
May 26, 2007
I’m leaving my job in 2 months and still have some vacation time to use. I wanted to treat myself to a quick trip to Europe from the US. I’m think 4-5 days.. do some sightseeing and do some high end shopping and take advantage of the VAT refund.

What are the best cities to travel to in order to get the best discounts (I’ve been to Paris, Rome, and Barcelona)? And what are some other brands that offer good discounts in Europe besides LV?

Definitely not the UK. From my experience, Amsterdam had pricing comparable to Paris - lower than the US plus VAT refund. I purchased both in Amsterdam and Paris bags from LV, Dior, Givenchy, Bvlgari Fendi and Balmain. I want to say prices ended up being approximately 30% lower or over $1,000 in some cases (except maybe Balmain) when everything was accounted for. There were 2 different streets in Amsertdam that had many high end shops and they weren't crowded at all like when I was in Paris. We didn't have alot of time but did a day trip to a small town in Belgium and it was fantastic. I'd say Paris has way more to do if you're interested in museums and sightseeing in addition to shopping. I know you've been there but I think always worth another trip.

You can try to look at websites for a few countries to get idea of how prices compare but I suspect they may be similar throughout the EU. for example, Google "Dior France website" (or whatever brand and country) and you can see items and prices. I was even able to check what was available at which boutique that way.

Oh, just remembered, my daughter pointed out a pair of boots she liked for me at Prada in Amseterdam but they didn't have my size. If I recall correctly price was around $1300 (back in November) and in US they're around $1600.

Make sure you tell SA at time of purchase you want VAT refund so they fill our appropriate paperwork, make sure you have your passport or photo of passport with you, and leave extra time to wait on line at airport to process everything before your flight. If you request refund in cash, you will receive it at airport but you will receive it in Euros and they may take a fee. Hope this helps!

Reactions: limom and Michy1215
Oh I hadn’t even considered Amsterdam! I was mostly thinking of different cities in France, Italy, or Spain but wasn’t sure if there is much of a difference between each country (for the shopping aspect). My first thought was Milan but from what I’ve read, there isn’t a whole lot to do there.

Oh I hadn’t even considered Amsterdam! I was mostly thinking of different cities in France, Italy, or Spain but wasn’t sure if there is much of a difference between each country (for the shopping aspect). My first thought was Milan but from what I’ve read, there isn’t a whole lot to do there.
You can probably do Milan in a day but there are some great day trips you could take from there.

Reactions: Michy1215
You should come to London, it's a fantastic shopping destination even without the 'discounts'. We have brands and things that are not obtainable anywhere else, most of the museums and galleries are free entry, and (most) people speak English :biggrin:

You should come to London, it's a fantastic shopping destination even without the 'discounts'. We have brands and things that are not obtainable anywhere else, most of the museums and galleries are free entry, and (most) people speak English :biggrin:
I went to London for the first time in November, went back in January and am planning another trip back in the fall. Surprisingly, I did no shopping while I was there. Well, I did pop into the Aspinal and Mulberry flagships to look around but didn't purchase anything. What do you suggest specifically for shopping in London?

Personally, the shopping is great in Paris in addition to all the other interesting things Paris has to offer
There are so many new shops to discover & its such a great walking city.
There are several exceptional exhibitions that are worth seeing, plus the food is always so good
so for me its always fun to explore the unknown..
Wherever you go, have fun

Reactions: maxroxxherhandbags
I went to London for the first time in November, went back in January and am planning another trip back in the fall. Surprisingly, I did no shopping while I was there. Well, I did pop into the Aspinal and Mulberry flagships to look around but didn't purchase anything. What do you suggest specifically for shopping in London?

Try the more boutique brands in Burlington Arcade, Princes Arcade (both Piccadilly) all the stores in Mount Street, especially Jessica Macramé, wind along the back roads of knightsbridge between the Kings Road and Brompton lots of independent boutiques (like Olivia von Halle) and eateries on cobblestones. Lots of fantastic vintage stores and markets in the Westend, East-end, North and West London. Find out which auctions are on whilst you're here, the big Houses have previews and some buy now items, maybe you can get a unique preloved bargain to take away.

Reactions: CoastalCouture
London is a fabulous destination (in fact, I’m going back there in June) but note that they do not refund VAT anymore. So for items found in both the UK and in Paris, Milan, etc (Goyard or Loewe for example), you’ll do better price-wise in an EU country.

Reactions: papertiger
And keep in mind that you need to declare your purchases when you go through US customs. You’ll probably have to pay customs on purchases over $800 ($1600 per couple, I think) and I strongly suspect that if you file for a VAT refund when leaving the EU, the US customs agents already know of your purchase. I’ve never actually confirmed this BUT I wouldn’t take the risk of not declaring. JMO

If you shop at the airports, Spain and Italy are cheaper.
Milan has fabulous shopping including outlets.
Plus you can easily and cheaply travel to other towns.

+1 for the outlets in Milan! They are fantastic. Ive heard great things about the outlets in Florence too. If you wanted to go to London, Ive found some great deals at Bicester outlets over the years. If you have an Amex, you can get a free 10% off day pass to use at the stores there, it used to work at Dior, prada, burberry, etc. but Im not sure those stores still accept it.

I think it also depends on what brands youre looking for, but overall, Ive found the best prices/selection in Rome and Paris.

Also in regards to the VAT refunds, everywhere Ive shopped recently has used either Global Blue or Planet so the refund process has been fairly easy. Once you submit your stamped receipts, the refund just goes back on your credit card.

• Insightful
Reactions: limom