Shopping help...down comforter

EllaL

May 7, 2010
I seem to ask a lot of shopping help. Sorry. I think I should probably become more involved in the 'community'. But for now, I will ask this one last shopping help question:

I am looking for a new down comforter. I purchased one at Khols a few years back (200$ range) and loved it! I don't have any clue what kind of down, fill, thread count or any of that. All I know is that I want it really fluffy.

I was looking on eBay for a new one and find a lot of variation. Is this something that is replicated like designer bags? I found a couple of deals but they seem almost 'too good to be true'. Does anyone have experiences with this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1000TC-Queen-Ki...t=US_Comforters_Sets&var=&hash=item61cadb927c
(I know Hungarian goose down is suppose to be really good...so is this 'fake'?)

http://cgi.ebay.com/HOTEL-COLLECTIO...733?pt=US_Comforters_Sets&hash=item20b53f43f5

http://cgi.ebay.com/400-Egyptian-Hu...640?pt=US_Comforters_Sets&hash=item588afd8968
(At the moment, this one looks the most legit in my completely non-savy internet knowledge. only 1 neutral, no neg but a lot less sales. )

Also, would you consider feedback like this 'normal' given the number of sales or is this something to stay away from?

I don't need a 800+$ blanket, but if I'm spending this amount of money, I want something that is going to be worth what I pay. If I can get something better for less, then of course that's a better plan. But even if it isn't Five Star Luxury, if it's a good deal for the price, I'm okay with that.

All I know is you want a fairly high thread count so there is less down leakage. I know there are some tutorials on the web , they are worth looking at. It's important, as far as construction goes, so the down doesn't clump all in one place. I can't remember which style is better but you also have to factor in cost.

honestly, i would NEVER ever again buy a down comforter on ebay. i bought one several years ago and when it arrived, omg it was the most worthless POS i have ever seen. i didn't even bother returning it and just threw it away.

i remember holding it up towards the light and you can literally see through the comforter and there were hardly any feathers in it.

i would much rather go somewhere like eddie bauer home or bed, bath & beyond where i can touch it myself and see which type of feathers i'd want.

be wary of buying something like this on ebay. trust me.

I have one from Bed Bath and Beyond. It's amazing..Its in it's 5th year of usage. It lasted 4 years of college! It was a basic inexpensive one too, and I've had no leakage or clumping issues.

Mine from The Company Store never leaked but a cheapie one I bought DS from somewhere else a few years ago leaked. It was like a snowstorm in his room everyday. Never again.

honestly, i would NEVER ever again buy a down comforter on ebay. i bought one several years ago and when it arrived, omg it was the most worthless POS i have ever seen. i didn't even bother returning it and just threw it away.

i remember holding it up towards the light and you can literally see through the comforter and there were hardly any feathers in it.

i would much rather go somewhere like eddie bauer home or bed, bath & beyond where i can touch it myself and see which type of feathers i'd want.

be wary of buying something like this on ebay. trust me.

Oh yeah, avoid ebay for something like this!

I have a down comforter from The Company Store and it's absolutely wonderful. There's currently a 15 percent off code for them: 15FORU2

You also want a comforter cover. I recently bought a new flannel cover for my down comforter from LL.Bean. The covers from Bean looked to be nicer and cheaper than the ones from The Company Store. The cover makes the comforter absolutely heaven to sleep beneath. But if you order from two companies be sure to check the measurements of the cover against the comforter's.

Down stuff from The Company Store is very high quality. I have a jacket and a feather bed from them and both still look and feel new after years of use. Little of any feather loss.

Oh yeah, avoid ebay for something like this!

I have a down comforter from The Company Store and it's absolutely wonderful. There's currently a 15 percent off code for them: 15FORU2

You also want a comforter cover. I recently bought a new flannel cover for my down comforter from LL.Bean. The covers from Bean looked to be nicer and cheaper than the ones from The Company Store. The cover makes the comforter absolutely heaven to sleep beneath. But if you order from two companies be sure to check the measurements of the cover against the comforter's.

Down stuff from The Company Store is very high quality. I have a jacket and a feather bed from them and both still look and feel new after years of use. Little of any feather loss.

I second everything in this post (^(oo)^)

This entire thread is good basic info for buying comforters. I would be leery of any bedding (more than a few dollars) from eBay. You'd never know where it came from or what has touched it. Eww.

Company Store or BedBathBeyond, etc. will have a range of prices so it doesn't have to be very expensive. And a cover will keep it clean.

I own a king sized goose down comforter from LLBean and bought one for every member in the family. Washable and wears like iron and if anything goes wrong they take it right back! No questions asked. Phenominal quality and warmth!

Thanks for everyone's advice. I'm going to avoid the ones on eBay. Even though they are "new", you never really know where they have been. I don't need a luxurious comforter, but I want my money to be well spent. I'm going to check out Bed Bath and Beyond, but probably will end up with another one from Khols. It's been great, just starting to look dingy. Plus I spilled some coke on it (it was a bad night, dbf had brought over pizza and a movie, and i was so upset, I spilled the coke right into the box of pizza...it was completely ruined! haha)

I bought one from The Polo store about 5 years ago and it is the best down comforter ever. It still looks great after all these years. You want to find one that has baffle box construction (separated into boxes by stitching) or the filling will all pool in one spot and make the blanket uncomfortable. There are many Polo outlet stores so you could probably get one cheap. I think mine was less than $200 and it's king size. Kohl's also has nice bedding and you can return it if you don't like it.