SHOPBOP Shipping Preferences to Canada – something to consider... or not?

Jayne1

Working Canvas
O.G.
Aug 2, 2006
We have a choice of two good options and both are free. Their recommended one is Free 1-3 day delivery with Shopbop Global. However – they charge customs and duty (there is no duty, why do they say that?) pre-paid, up front.

Does anyone ever take the second option of Free 1-3 day delivery (Customs & Duties - Due on delivery) and pay the customs charges at the door?

The reason I ask is that I’ve noticed when I pre-pay customs charges, I pay the maximum. Sometimes I find I pay less when the package goes through Customs... especially if Customs is busy and not paying attention (they unionized, so that can happen when they are busy)… so it’s a gamble, but a worthwhile gamble.

Just curious as to what people here do – pay the max up front or hope for less with a human calculating?

i pick the option of paying customs later.

if i remember correctly, the option that takes 1-3 days uses either fedex... or ups or something, and they ALWAYS will charge customs upfront.

the other option takes about a week to 2 weeks and they use usps, which is a hit/miss kinda situation (same shipping as revolve). i find that anything under $100 they will not charge me customs.

They have 3 options now.

First is 1-3 day delivery with customs/duty paid up front, second is 1-3 delivery with customs/duties due upon delivery and the third is 7-20 delivery with customs due on delivery (I believe the third method is USPS).

I think the only time I'd pay customs up front is if I was unsure of something and could possibly want to return it, it makes it easier to get your taxes/duties back if you go through their broker. If you pay on delivery it becomes a chore to get them back. However, with that said I ususally don't order from either shopbop unless I'm 100% sure I'm keeping it because I don't want to pay to ship it back.

They have 3 options now.

First is 1-3 day delivery with customs/duty paid up front, second is 1-3 delivery with customs/duties due upon delivery and the third is 7-20 delivery with customs due on delivery (I believe the third method is USPS).

I think the only time I'd pay customs up front is if I was unsure of something and could possibly want to return it, it makes it easier to get your taxes/duties back if you go through their broker. If you pay on delivery it becomes a chore to get them back. However, with that said I ususally don't order from either shopbop unless I'm 100% sure I'm keeping it because I don't want to pay to ship it back.
Yes, that's right... but the third option doesn't have tracking so I didn't even list it as a possibility. If that third option is USPS - I might consider it as the best option!

I was under the impression that the first (Shopbop recommenced) option was completely pre-paid... do we still pay something at the door anyway?

So now I have to decide if I want the 2nd option - or the 3rd?

Yes, that's right... but the third option doesn't have tracking so I didn't even list it as a possibility. If that third option is USPS - I might consider it as the best option!

I was under the impression that the first (Shopbop recommenced) option was completely pre-paid... do we still pay something at the door anyway?

So now I have to decide if I want the 2nd option - or the 3rd?

Yeah its completely pre-paid so you don't have to pay anything at the door.

Ugh honestly this is bad, but I would take the 3rd solely because its shopbop's onus to provide tracking and if a package goes missing you could do a chargeback. I would call them and ask what the second option is (I believe its fedex or ups) because then you might get charged customs/duty but no brokerage because express shipments to Canada don't get charged brokerage (atleast for UPS).

I'm not worried about returns... so I can pick any option but ...

I have a love-hate relationship with FedEx. Love the tracking, love the speed (if it's NOT Ground) but don't want to pay extra fees.

Love USPS and the fact that I can go to my Post Office if I miss the mail person at my door. Hate the slowness and the uncertainty as to where the package is...

The 2nd option is a mystery as it says "1-3 day delivery - FREE- Customs & Duty due on delivery" and paid to carrier. If it's FedEx Ground - that's the worst.

I think I'll pick the cheapest option, the 3rd - which is USPS.

I just went through this - I ordered a pair of shoes from shopbop, and chose option 1 - the cost of the shoes was $195 and upon checkout I was charged another $63.00 for duties/taxes, etc. Shipping was free.

However, the shoes didn't fit - I returned them and only received $195 back as a refund. I call and they tell me that they don't have anything to do with the customs - it isn't their problem. I am like "what???? I paid it to you???" They didn't care. Very rude. I am definitely filing a chargeback.

I would choose option 3 for sure....

Option 2, they use Fedex or UPS who definitely/always charge brokerage fees and customs are guaranteed.

I have in my cart an item that is made in the US and option 1 doesn't recognize that its a NAFTA item and is still trying to charge me $100 on a $300 item.

I just went through this - I ordered a pair of shoes from shopbop, and chose option 1 - the cost of the shoes was $195 and upon checkout I was charged another $63.00 for duties/taxes, etc. Shipping was free.

However, the shoes didn't fit - I returned them and only received $195 back as a refund. I call and they tell me that they don't have anything to do with the customs - it isn't their problem. I am like "what???? I paid it to you???" They didn't care. Very rude. I am definitely filing a chargeback.

That's really stupid. I always thought that the reason they preferred we paid brokerage/duties up front is so that we could get the refund faster.

Oh makes sense... But other US sites say that they charge it up front in case you want to return it they act as the agency to get the refund of those fees faster. When I bought something from NM and returned it they refunded my pre-paid brokerage/duties as well.