Shoe cabinet pros and cons ?

Mike2523

May 10, 2015
Hi everyone, I was asked to make a shoe storage cabinet that will be custom made to fit in the womens new wardrobe room. I was hoping some of you can tell me what features you like about your cabinet and what you don't like. I did a search on here but did not see the type of info I am looking for. Just pictures of what people have. So what do you like and what do you wish your cabinet had ?

Thanks

Last edited:
Recommend NO shoe cubbies. I have cubbies for 50 pair of shoes (not enough lol) and I don't like the divided cubbies because so many pairs do not fit together or you could damage and scuff them up. I wish I just had shelves as the cubbies dividers take up room as well. Technically unless flats only have space for 25 pairs.. I am too lazy to keep them in any shoe boxes as you have to put them back in as sometimes try on a few pairs before deciding what to wear. That said for special occasion shoes it would be nice to have room to store them in the box.

I bet you will find some awesome ideas on pinterest. I love the cabinets with recessed lighting, angled shelves, etc.

Recommend NO shoe cubbies. I have cubbies for 50 pair of shoes (not enough lol) and I don't like the divided cubbies because so many pairs do not fit together or you could damage and scuff them up. I wish I just had shelves as the cubbies dividers take up room as well. Technically unless flats only have space for 25 pairs.. I am too lazy to keep them in any shoe boxes as you have to put them back in as sometimes try on a few pairs before deciding what to wear. That said for special occasion shoes it would be nice to have room to store them in the box.

I bet you will find some awesome ideas on pinterest. I love the cabinets with recessed lighting, angled shelves, etc.
Thanks for your ideas. I don't know why but the dividers are the first thing i was going to design in the cabinet. Now maybe not because as you said they do take up space. I like the lighting idea I think that would be a great feature.

I just had a custom closet built out a few months ago and they made a 3 foot section, top to bottom of adjustable shelves.
The first few shelves are angled with a small rail in front (to hold them in place) for my nicer shoes.
The remaining shelves are for everyday running shoes, sandals & boots. It's nice that I was able to raise a shelf for taller boots & it's flexible to adjust as my needs change.

Reactions: Mike2523
I have straight shelves and I love them. I previously had angled shelves with a rail in front (as a toe stop) and some with a rail in the back (as a heel stop); I always worried about damaging my shoes with this. Each of my shoe shelves comfortably fits 2-3 pairs, and I have 4 sections of shelves from the floor to the ceiling. Even though I have storage for ~50 pairs, I could use more. Each section is covered by a glass door. I love having a glass door so I can see my shoes, but it cuts down on dust. DH's shelves are a bit wider, but his still only fits 2-2.5 pairs of mens shoes. If we could go back and design his differently, I would have made them narrower to make more hanging space or wider so that he could fit 3 pairs per shelf.

Reactions: Mike2523
I just had a custom closet built out a few months ago and they made a 3 foot section, top to bottom of adjustable shelves.
The first few shelves are angled with a small rail in front (to hold them in place) for my nicer shoes.
The remaining shelves are for everyday running shoes, sandals & boots. It's nice that I was able to raise a shelf for taller boots & it's flexible to adjust as my needs change.
That is very much what my plan will have. Thanks

I have straight shelves and I love them. I previously had angled shelves with a rail in front (as a toe stop) and some with a rail in the back (as a heel stop); I always worried about damaging my shoes with this. Each of my shoe shelves comfortably fits 2-3 pairs, and I have 4 sections of shelves from the floor to the ceiling. Even though I have storage for ~50 pairs, I could use more. Each section is covered by a glass door. I love having a glass door so I can see my shoes, but it cuts down on dust. DH's shelves are a bit wider, but his still only fits 2-2.5 pairs of mens shoes. If we could go back and design his differently, I would have made them narrower to make more hanging space or wider so that he could fit 3 pairs per shelf.
My plan as it is right now will have glass doors and also a section that will have cherry doors to keep the every day shoes. I am leaning to a look that will not have any dividers. And all the doors will have a lock on them as per the client .