Shoe Brands/Models Recommendation Needed for People with Wide Feet

I, too, feel your pain! So tough to have wide feet. At least they work, right? I'm probably an 8.5 w to ww. I typically buy shoes that tend to run wide, rather than shoes made specifically in a wide size, simply because most shoes made specifically for wide widths are So. Not. Cute. With the exception for the Marants mentioned below, all of the shoes I listed can be found for reasonable prices on Yoox, eBay, online sample sales, and on Lost and Found (Repettos specifically). I recently discovered how to stretch shoes by stuffing them with a ziplock bag filled with water and freezing the shoe. It works! I've never had anything professionally stretched.

I second the recommendation for Isabel Marant Dicker boots - I have 2 pairs (I know - indulgent, but with wide feet, finding a comfy shoe is rare). They are comfy AND cute. I LOVE them. Blochs are great as well, as are Porselli and Repetto ballet flats (BB's and Bolchoi are especially flattering). Actually, I find that most Repettos flatter a wide foot: the Zizi oxfords and their platform oxfords and pumps are great, and you can usually find a good selection on sale. Cydwoq makes great shoes that are good for wide feet. Lastly, if you look REALLY carefully, Naturalizer makes some cute shoes for wide feet as well. Unfortunately, I will probably never be able to stuff these feet of mine into a lovely Louboutin heel, but I have grudgingly accepted this. Sigh.

P.S. to the OP: great thread!

- What size/width are you?

I'm between a 6 and 6.5. Definitely a D width.

- Do you get your shoes stretched, by a cobbler or DIY? How much have you been able to stretch them by?

Both. I purchased a pair of wooden stretchers on eBay and I use them as much as possible. Much cheaper than having a cobbler stretch them all the time.

- What brands make wide shoes? What about brands that make shoes that tend to fall on the wide side?

Believe it or not, I have found some styles of high end brands make wider shoes. I have had great luck with kitten heels by Manolo Blahnik and Prada. And yes, I even have Loubtoutins. Their ballet flats are made of very soft leather and stretch beautifully, and I also have a few pairs of booties that stretched to my foot. Tod's leather also stretches and is very durable. Banana Republic makes great suede ballet flats that conform to a wider foot too.

- Do you get shoes custom-made? By who?

No, I've never done that.

- What else do you do to land the shoes of your dreams while still keeping foot pain to a minimum?

I just stick with styles that work with my feet.

I bought a pair of Funkis clogs the other day because I'd heard someone mention that they were a bit on the large size, width-wise. Hmm, turns out to not be the case, as my crushed and sad feet will attest (I bought the shoes online and they don't offer returns unless the shoes are faulty - argh!). I've found that the braided Swedish Hasbeens are a good width (I guess because the braiding makes the upper part of the shoe more flexible and accommodating), but the non-braided peep-toe ones are too narrow.

I'm interested in the IM Dickers now that people have said they're good width-wise. I've also found Acne shoes to be a good size, particularly the Pistols and the Cypresses (I've heard that the Tracks are a bit narrow). I wear my Pistols and Cypresses pretty frequently and they're very comfortable.

Although my feet are narrow, I can certainly "feel" you pain, kleio, since my mom has a ww feet, just like you. She is between 4.5 and 5 but because of the width of her feet, she has to go with 5.5 or 6 for most regular width shoes. Every time we go shoe shopping together, it's a hard time! She knows that her feet can't fit into those narrow elegant shoes but she doesn't like buying shoes in wide size either. She thinks those shoes usually make her feet look wider, so she end up with buying very few shoes.

She own several pairs of LV sneakers that she liked very much. I like those too because they are comfy yet look good (and thank god, no LV logos on the surface of the shoes). I mean, her feet doesn't look wide at all in those sneakers. I will ask her if she has any other preferred brands.

Hi its a night mare having wide feet i for one has smallish feet uk 4s and i have bunions this makes my fore foot very wide, i use a wooden shoe strecher that i also got from ebay they work well in most shoes but they do deforme the shoe if your like me and need extra room for your big toe joints, good luck .

I thought I had REALLY REALLY wide feet, up until reading this thread. I feel for all of you ladies, because I know how hard it is to find a good looking shoe, designer or not, that is comfortable.

I am a US 11W. When I buy premium designers I am always a EU 42.

- Do you get your shoes stretched, by a cobbler or DIY? How much have you been able to stretch them by?
I have never purposely stretched a pair of shoes. They tend to stretch out over time while I wear them out.

- What brands make wide shoes? What about brands that make shoes that tend to fall on the wide side?
I believe Ferragamo makes a variety of widths and from my research on their varina flats, many people with small wide feet are quite comfortable in their D width. D and C are considered the 'wide' widths they provide. Personally, I have yet to try a pair.

In my opinion, the cutest and best flats for wide feet are Bloch. They have EXCELLENT stretch and stretched to the size of my foot within a week of wear. As well, they were not painful if I wore them all day.

Now for some of my personal experience with other premium shoe designers.
TORY BURCH: They did not stretch out like the BLOCH flats. I find the leather not as stretchy. However, I am able to wear them for about half a day of walking until my foot stretches and I get blisters. I was able to get my true US size in these, however.
JIMMY CHOO: I bought my EU size. I would think they are a bit loose around my ankle, but the width isn't so bad. I was able to get my foot in them with complete comfort, but after while the widest bit of my foot can get a little sore.
Giuseppe Zanotti: My true EU size. They are realy comfy and stretch, even the patent! I would recommend someone with a wide foot try them.
Dior: My true EU size. These are also extremely comfortable and the leather is amazing. I believe these would stretch without a problem to a WW width if one got them stretched professionally.

Nope.

- What else do you do to land the shoes of your dreams while still keeping foot pain to a minimum?
I tend to wear them with pantyhose when I first get them so that they stretch without giving me blisters! LOL If I know I will be walking all day in my flats barefoot I pre-treat my feet with bandages where I know I will get blisters. As well, I am not comfortable in heels. I have designer heels but I feel they are the most uncomfortable for extended use when you have wide feet.

Ladies with wide feet, how do you find stylish shoes that won't cause excruciating pain to your wide feet?

I probably need to get formally measured, but I'll go by shoe sizes: lengthwise, probably an 8.5 (maybe 8 if you don't count my longer 2nd toe); widthwise, easily a 10. My mom's size 11 shoes don't really feel loose in the width department, either. So I compromise and look for 9s/9.5s that run wide, and those little heel gel things (that prevent slippage/shorten the fit) are my best friend. I have horrible congenital bunions (both big toe and pinky), on top of a naturally wide foot, so I have the added issue of the odd "diamond shaped" foot.

I haven't, but probably should.

So far every brand has been hit or miss, but I've had the most success with Coach, some Sam Edelman (if I size up to 9.5), BCBG, and some Via Spiga. Obviously my shoe collection is pretty small/piecemeal, though. Also, thong-sandal styles are pure gold (they bypass the wide part of my foot and I can actually wear an 8.5 in most)

Again, I probably should. I'm a poor grad student though :sad:

-Wear a lot of thong styles, weather permitting...half my shoe collection consists of either thong-sandal styles or boots (which also tend to be more forgiving). Also, I have large ankles and calves as well, so I'm very careful with high boots and I completely avoid ankle straps/anything that makes my legs look even fatter.

-I also stock up on heel pads (preferably with a gel surface or something tacky), so if I need to size up in a shoe, my heels won't keep popping out of them. More than once I've used a big heel pad and some cotton in the toes to keep a cute but too-long shoe from sliding off!

-I try to stick to chunky heels rather than thin ones (more stability, plus, fat legs look even fatter in skinny heels)

-I also have really thin skin that blisters/cuts easily, so I have all manner of "hose" for the feet...one type is simply a band that goes across the wide part of the foot (for styles that bite into my bunions), and another is a short sock that goes over the toes and only about halfway up the foot, with a built-in pad at the bottom (helps for styles that rub up on my toes the wrong way). I also carry a little stick of this "Blister Block" stuff (basically hydrogenated oil) to rub on any hot spots, and of course a few bandaids.

I'm also trying to find some brands that are sufficiently wide but don't look like something my grandma would have worn (though she's another member of the family who could've benefited from custom shoes--we can trace my wide feet back 4 generations, sadly). Hope these ideas help! :smile:

I probably need to get formally measured, but I'll go by shoe sizes: lengthwise, probably an 8.5 (maybe 8 if you don't count my longer 2nd toe); widthwise, easily a 10. My mom's size 11 shoes don't really feel loose in the width department, either. So I compromise and look for 9s/9.5s that run wide, and those little heel gel things (that prevent slippage/shorten the fit) are my best friend. I have horrible congenital bunions (both big toe and pinky), on top of a naturally wide foot, so I have the added issue of the odd "diamond shaped" foot.

I haven't, but probably should.

So far every brand has been hit or miss, but I've had the most success with Coach, some Sam Edelman (if I size up to 9.5), BCBG, and some Via Spiga. Obviously my shoe collection is pretty small/piecemeal, though. Also, thong-sandal styles are pure gold (they bypass the wide part of my foot and I can actually wear an 8.5 in most)

Again, I probably should. I'm a poor grad student though :sad:

-Wear a lot of thong styles, weather permitting...half my shoe collection consists of either thong-sandal styles or boots (which also tend to be more forgiving). Also, I have large ankles and calves as well, so I'm very careful with high boots and I completely avoid ankle straps/anything that makes my legs look even fatter.

-I also stock up on heel pads (preferably with a gel surface or something tacky), so if I need to size up in a shoe, my heels won't keep popping out of them. More than once I've used a big heel pad and some cotton in the toes to keep a cute but too-long shoe from sliding off!

-I try to stick to chunky heels rather than thin ones (more stability, plus, fat legs look even fatter in skinny heels)

-I also have really thin skin that blisters/cuts easily, so I have all manner of "hose" for the feet...one type is simply a band that goes across the wide part of the foot (for styles that bite into my bunions), and another is a short sock that goes over the toes and only about halfway up the foot, with a built-in pad at the bottom (helps for styles that rub up on my toes the wrong way). I also carry a little stick of this "Blister Block" stuff (basically hydrogenated oil) to rub on any hot spots, and of course a few bandaids.

I'm also trying to find some brands that are sufficiently wide but don't look like something my grandma would have worn (though she's another member of the family who could've benefited from custom shoes--we can trace my wide feet back 4 generations, sadly). Hope these ideas help! :smile:
Hi there, if you get your feet measured you might find the size your feet measure up as will not fit you, im my case they did not, it gets very depressing seeing amazing shoes you want and cant wear them due to the poor fit.
I think when you have odd shape feet like us the best thing is try what ever size you can find what feels bearable and pad grip and adapt the shoe to suit your feet, since i was 19 i had bunions and also surgery to make mine smaller but they even grown back so dont give up im sure you find nice shoes that you can cope in.

^Yes, that's pretty much what I do! Size up, size up again, and sometimes size up 3 times (9, 9.5, 10!) to get shoes that are wide enough, then pad them at the heel to shorten them. I also have collapsing arches (flat feet, but only when I'm bearing weight on them) which is known to affect posture, so it probably impacts the way I put wear on my shoes...but when you have high insteps/wide feet anyway, then try to squeeze an insole in, there's no way any shoe will fit at that point...

I am a size 10 W
I can usually break shoes in on my own by wearing socks with them around the house at first.
I have doscovered that if I buy a size 10 1/2 in Nine West I do not need to have a WIDE width and they fit like a dream. For almost 2 years that is the only shoe I will buy. DSW, Zappos, 6pm and Endless carry a good selection of Wide Width shoes.
Nope
Sometimes I do just have to grin and bear it

Hi!

This is my first time posting on this forum. (shoes) I usually hang out in purses. :smile:

So, I am almost 36 and just started really getting into shoes, and heals at that. I really am trying to learn to walk in them, yes it took this long...

But in either case I have some 3-5 inch heals.

My HG of shoe is CL, I adore that red sole..

Either way, here is the thing.. I have extra wide feet. I am a size 8WW.

Sometimes an 8W works and sometimes it does not. My best girl friend is helping me learn all the neat tricks of shoes, she can pretty much do anything in heals and I am not kidding. So I asked her to teach me, so hubby might be impressed and I like to be a tad taller, at 5'4.

My question comes in two parts...

1 - What wonder shoes can or will fit my wide feet?

For example, I got a pair of HOT KISS shoes from Famous Footwear the other day and they are fabulous, nice and wide in the front with a padded hot pink sole. And a pair of Maddens with the extra raised platform on the front of the toe. Love those! I will try to post a pic.

2- I notice a lot of people slip in these shoes barefoot, is there something I am missing? When I do that, my feet get all sweaty. Is there some trick I am missing? Like no see peds or something?

Thanks for the help.

Please feel free to suggest brands you know or use.

I am currently and have always eyed the CL and I am liking Mulberry shoes a lot. My DH loves Jimmy Choo.. LOL

I have wide feet also, and for the most, I just suffer through it with some brands because I love them so much, lol! :lol:

Some brands are a little bit better than others (I'm sure more people will chime in and add to the list -- there may even be some threads on it already). Unfortunately Jimmy Choos are usally really narrow - if it's a flat or high-heeled sandal of some sort, I can wear them, but even the ballet flats (anything closed) just kill my feet.

Fendi and Celine are okay (though sometimes it's worth it to go up 1/2 a size to a size, depending on the style).

One of the best brands that I've for high heels and wide feet (though it's not high-end) is Jeffrey Campbell. I've not yet found a pair that hurts my feet.

Unfortunately one of the best ways to figure out which brands are easiest for you to wear is to just try on a bunch of different ones. If you don't live near a big shopping center, start by ordering from a place that allows returns on unworn shoes.