shipping to Ireland, risks?

s627y

O.G.
May 12, 2008
Hi everyone,

I am fairly new to this forum, and I asked a question a few days ago, got great help from everyone here.

I have another bag for sale, and an interested buyer asked me if I would ship to Ireland. I have never shipped outside of U.S. before, is there any risks shipping to Ireland?

I did a search for Ireland, and turned out a lot of threads, but nothing specifically to Ireland.

I appreciate your knowledge and help!!!

Nobody had any experience?
I think the person is truly interested. But I really hate to have anything happen to it.
Anyone had bad experiences in the past? Or good experiences?
The shipping + insurance would cost like $40!
I'm just a little jittery about this....
Thanks everyone!!!

Hi I am from Ireland and have purchased a few expensive bags from the US from lovely sellers. I have had no problems at all. On a few I have had customs charges - but others not, seems the luck of the draw! Only takes about 5 days to get here - sometimes even less. Pay pal can not confirm Irish addresses though so make sure you fully trust your buyer as you will not be covered by paypal protection.

Thank you bagaddict27!
I just told her I ship only to paypal verified address!
Hmmm, she only has 7 reviews so far 100% positive though. Mostly from European country sellers. She told me she did purchase from US before, and have had no problems.
I'm afraid that the item will be lost or she might file a dispute later even if she does receive the package. How will I be able to protect myself?
Thank you!!!

My address is verified but unfortunately pay pal can not 'confirm' the address - its a real pain. I have excellent feedback though for nearly 100 items so that usually puts sellers mind at rest. It is a risk though as you will not be protected - there is not much you can do about this unless you ask her to complete the transaction with a money transfer so she can not do a chargeback or a paypal claim. What has she bought before? Is the item she is buying expensive? My advice is to communicate with the seller and get a 'feel' for her. It will proberly be fine - just make sure you insure the item for the full amount and get proof of posting and tracking :tup:

bagaddict27, thank you so much! You are so helpful!
The items she bought before don't seem to be expensive.
I told her to pay via Paypal. But maybe I should as for money transfer? How do I do that? Through paypal as well? I'm so new to ebay, I have no clue! Thank you!!

I am not entirely sure how to pay through money transfer as I have never paid that way myself - its not through pay pal. I see a lot of sellers (particularly stores) in the US state they only accept money transfers from European buyers other than the UK - maybe someone else could help here? I think the buyer goes to his bank and wires you the money. It is a lot more hassle for the buyer though - she might not be that keen. I personally always prefer pay pal - but as I stated before my feedback is excellent and I have met lovely sellers who I have fully communicated with throughout the transaction. I think you should follow your instinct on this one - most buyers from Ireland would be very aware of having customs charges so would only buy items they really wanted. Make sure you make her aware that there may be customs charges (that you are not responisble for) if you do decide to accept pay-pal. It is a risk? Obviously I am a little biased as I am from Ireland and do buy using paypal from the US but I do think others might advise you against this unless you are 100% sure of the buyer.

I have had eBay items shipped to my home in Ireland which is in the country, out in the middle of nowhere and no problems! I have not been hit with duty, yet...:yahoo:
I have paid via bank wire and also accepted payment via wire transfer to my account in Ireland. Ireland is safe, it's not one of those corrupt countries where things disappear...:cursing: or customs agents want their palms greased...

In Europe bank wires a very 'normal', it is as safe as a personal check (same info) but for you the seller it's a win win, b/c no fees from Paypal and no chargebacks like credit cards. You cannot reverse a transfer.

Call your bank and ask them for your IBAN give that info with your name, bank name and branch to your buyer and you should have your money no later than 4 days after they initiate the transfer.
Cheers,

Thank you bagaddict27 and LT bag lady!
So this lady has to pay more for wire transfer? I kind of feel bad! with $45 shipping, and more on wire transfer! Poor lady!
I will ask her to do that. Thank you!!!

I have had eBay items shipped to my home in Ireland which is in the country, out in the middle of nowhere and no problems! I have not been hit with duty, yet...:yahoo:
I have paid via bank wire and also accepted payment via wire transfer to my account in Ireland. Ireland is safe, it's not one of those corrupt countries where things disappear...:cursing: or customs agents want their palms greased...

In Europe bank wires a very 'normal', it is as safe as a personal check (same info) but for you the seller it's a win win, b/c no fees from Paypal and no chargebacks like credit cards. You cannot reverse a transfer.

Call your bank and ask them for your IBAN give that info with your name, bank name and branch to your buyer and you should have your money no later than 4 days after they initiate the transfer.
Cheers,

Thats good to know - wasn't sure how that worked! Thanks

Her bank may charge her 10 or 15 Euros for the transfer. It's no biggy, depending on how you have your Paypal account set up, you may have to pay to receive foreign currency or she will have to pay Paypal for the conversion. Call Paypal and have them walk you through how to set your Paypal account to receive foreign currencies without incurring additional fees. The buyer should incur these fees, not you.

You can always ask her to send you an echeck via Paypal, that is the cheapest for both seller and buyer, but you will have to wait up to 7 days for it to clear, could be longer. It is another option.
Send your item Express Mail Service with insurance for the amount you are prepared to lose should the bag get lost. EMS comes with 100 insurance you have to pay for add'l, print your postage on line and save on postage. Insure at the PO for over 500.00. Pay for the add'l insurance only not the diff between you online postage and the entire amt including insurance.
Cheers,

I'm not sure if Paypal can reverse a echeck payment if the buyer files a claim, so double check on that before going that route. The safest way for you as a seller is to do a bank wire transfer because she cannot do a chargeback on that. You can offer a $15 discount for her if she agrees to do a wire transfer because you don't have to pay transaction fee, unlike Paypal.

I used to live in Ireland and the only issue I had with parcels from US was when the seller used USPS Global Express instead of Priority International..Global Express packages are delivered to Fedex instead of Post and they screw up constantly...they left my Dior bag OUTSIDE the building while it was signature delivery and of course someone stole it. Dont ship Global Express!

You can send it USPS registered mail and Global Priority. This may cover you w/ PayPal. Have you checked out the UPS shipping and insurance policies?` I've shipped to Ireland w/ no problem, but it's never been more than $200 USD.