Share Your Edited Bag Closet Journey......

Congrats on your little one! Many have offered their experiences and I will offer mine. Over the last five years I went from a handful of bags to over 4 dozen! Mostly vintage Coach, most very inexpensive and with the intention as a hobby to hone the skill of refurbishing the full grain leather that put Coach on the map in the '80s and '90s. As I have said many times, I was enjoying and indulging all the Coach I could not afford in the 90's!
Yet at some point, it all began to feel like "too much". I was the kid in the proverbial candy shop, on a spree, starting to get a tummy ache. I think my tummy ache began before lock down. I didn't know quite what to do. So I just paid attention to how I was feeling, lol, bought a few more bags, contemplated about what to let go, how to let go, . . . . Didn't pressure myself to do anything hasty. Just allowed all the feelings to come and go without judgement, knowing that might best pave the way. I bought a bag at a flea market as recently as two weeks ago and another online and still have a pile to finish restoring.
I can honestly say, without much effort on my part, ideas about deciding what to keep, what to let go have been emerging in the last week, and I am quite pleased with that. There are bags I am ready to let go off and it feels right. Really right.
I sincerely believe that as you continue to engage in all the details of your busy life and think about your bags without judgement or pressure (not easy, right?) you will become aware of the time when it feels right to let a bag go or keep it.

P.S. There will always be a vintage Coach Court at decent price on eBay, Etsy, Posh, etc. Trust. Me :lol:

That’s really good advice!

If you had 50 Hermes or Chanel it would be different, but your bags Are replaceable ..

But I Still don’t think you should rush into anything ….

You collected 50 bags, if they’re weighing you down, then yes, downsize, but if you still have” baby brain” you might get rid of bags and regret it

And I think I forgot to say congrats on your new family member!

Your bag needs will change-my sister started carrying rucksacks full if baby things, then full of food when she went to football with my dad, which he can’t do whilst my mum is so ill, now she can’t stop so it’s designer rucksacks!

So she has no place on pf and I don’t want her here lol!

But for her birthday I’m going to swamp her with rucksacks in different colours as she refuses to wear a handbag-so I can’t give her a new one of mine…her birthday isn’t until March but I have 2 she’ll love already….no Chanel I’m afraid!

Back to you, I think you sound overwhelmed with the huge wonderful change to your life and are taking it out on your bags!

When you actually want to part with any you’ll Know.

I guess you’re carrying baby things atm, but when you carry a bag, try a different one each time to see how it makes you feel.

If you hate it, it has to go, if you’re still attached it stays.

Even if you keep all 50 it Doesn’t matter!

Just concentrate on your new life and the bags will sort themselves out…❤️❤️❤️❤️

Reactions: dramaprincess713
This is going to be a long ramble. I was reading your answer and this is exactly how I feel. First of all, forget about getting your number down. That is not a thing that needs to be done timewise, so it can wait. You want this stylish minimal collection, but why do you want a minimal collection? I think part of it might be because you are overwhelmed and part of it might be because in a short youtubeclip they make it look so easy and they sound so confident.

Being easily influenced sounds familiair. If someone said they need five bags, I need five bags. If they have a new redbag, I need a new red bag. Someone in an article mentioned a red bag, someone else opened a thread and that night I bought a red bag. I love my bag but I do keep screenshots of that post that made me realise that this was not the way to go. I kept on thinking in wants and not in needs. I read lists of all the bags you need in your collection without ever wondering if they would suit me. I bought everything and more, got overwhelmed and hit a wall.

You sound overwhelmed and want a minimal collection. Start with making a minimal collection. What are the bags you want, what are the bags you need and pick those from your collection. You have the feeling of getting your life together, a collection that does not overwhelm you and you do not have to get rid of your bags just to have a minimal collection! You avoid the mammoth of grabbing all your bags while taking care of a small one. You don't need to do that, do not put that kind of unecessary stress on yourself. You have enough going on already. And maybe that plays a part in it too? You just had a baby and that changes everything. The world as you know it is gone. Everything is uncertain and you need something tangible, something that makes sense while everything else doesn't. Maybe it's not the number of bags that's gotten under your skin but you have no mental space for bags, so you feel that limiting them can give you some clarity as a whole.

This is why a capsule collection might help, but just start small. Building a capsule collection from what you already have is enough for now.

-

What helped me was putting my bags in storage and taking my time with that. Because I had so much bags, I forgot what I had. When I looked at them after 6 months, I noticed that I was less attatched to some of them. After a while I knew what I wanted in a bag. I could see why I was using some, why I was not using others, why I kept some, why I let others go and why for the life of me I could not let go of bags I never used. I let go of bags that I missed and bought back. Made mistakes but grew while doing it. I learned so much about myself, what I want and who I am. The bags were a part of me and I never looked at it that way before.

You make your own rules. You said that you have regrets letting them go but you do not have to let them go. I think the Coach bag is a great example. Other people raved about it and you bought it. This is your memory. You think about why you bought the bag when you see the bag. If I would see you I would only see a bag. You say that the leather is amazing and that is why you can't let it go. That is the small voice you should listen to. Listen to your gut. Do not reason a bag away because that are the bags we miss.

Put the Coach bag away because you do love it. Do not think that the quality is great so someone else might use it more. This is your bag, you already own it and regretting letting go of a bag, and finding that exact same bag, takes up mental space. Just move on to other bags. Create your minimal collection and if you feel up to it, grab another bag from storage and see how you feel while using it. If it does not make you happy or you gravitate to another bag that has the same function, make a mental note that it can go. Put it in a closet and leave the bag alone. If you see the bag after six months it's easier to let it go and you'll get more joy from wearing the bag you love more. That is how I weed out the clutter.

-

So now you have a small minimal collection you use, a bigger collection in storage that you want to weed out. The only thing left is what to do with the bags you still want? If you buy a bag your hormones are going haywire. I know that this is my downfall. Somebody mentions a bag, I find the bag, buy the bag, yay new bag feels. Creating distance work for me. I want this bag. If I still want the bag next month, then I can think about it. Take two steps back and define why you want that bag and if you have another bag that looks like it. I put myself on a diet. I'm on ban island and if I can only get two bags a year, will this be the bag? Is this the bag I can not live without? I do not need more bags, there is no void so I know that I can live without. That two mark number works wonders. And for me the most important part is to know myself. The week before you menstruate your hormones are unbalanced and you are less prone to long term discision making and more prone to buying. Not even impuls buying, buying in general. Ever since I read that I blocked my agenda and straight out forbid myself to buy something I don't need in that week. That helped a lot.

After a while I noticed I like new things. Ever so often I get a new bag and resell a bag that I'm not attatched to. I wanted to be this minimal girl and I finally am. I thought I would end with a minimal premier designer collection but I'm just to afraid to wear it. I feel a lot better with bags that cost less. Sometimes I look at my bags and can't breathe. That is the moment for a trendy bag. Pufferbags were so hip it hurts. I want that. All the regular reasoning didn't work anymore and I just gave it. I love the puffed Coach Tabby but wasn't willing to spend that amount of money on a bag that wouldn't last. I spend less, enjoyed my bag so much and now I am quite done with it. I am not beating myself up for buying a bag I wore for a year. I didn't spend a fortune on it. The bag is still like new and my niece loves it. Years ago I would have bought the Coach, think less of myself for spending that kind of money on a bag I didn't need and I could not let the bag go because it would feel like an even bigger waste. And I know that there will be another trendy high street bag around the corner. Only the essentials just doesn't work for me. You live, you learn. You can do this. Just start small and know that this is not something you have to do but want to do. Do not put that kind of pressure on yourself. And thank you for reading all of this. I know it's very long but I know exactly how you feel and didn't want to cut any corners :heart:
Thank you so much for this thoughtful reply. I also don't think it's too long at all. I enjoyed reading it, and I really appreciate that you took the time to write it out.

You are right that I want a minimal collection patly because I'm overwhelmed and partly because others make it seem so wonderful and aspirational. And yes, I think baby plays a part too, likely in more ways than I can even really identify right now. There's this feeling that I have too much of everything (bags, shoes, clothes, makeup, etc.) and new we have all this baby stuff everywhere, and it's just an overwhelming amount of stuff in the apartment. And there's also this feeling that it's silly and frivolous to have all these bags (and shoes, clothes, etc.) now that I'm a mom. And also a feeling of wanting something tangible to control and makes sense of. There's a lot going on, I think.

I love the idea of making a minimal collection from my own collection and taking my time with bags from a larger collection. I think it's a great way to get some clarity. With bags that I want, creating distance doesn't quite work for me. I'm perfectly fine not buying a bag right away or even waiting months and months. My problem is that when I do start considering it again, I can't get it out of my mind. I can be a bit obsessive that way. However, thinking about only two bags a year might really work for me. It forces me to think about what I actually really want long term - not what am I obsessed with at the moment.

I never knew or even thought about the role of hormone in buying things. It makes me think I should probably take it easy with the buying and destashing right now because even though I feel great, I am breastfeeding, and I'm sure there's still all sorts of hormonal things going on.

What you say about trendy bags also really resonates with me. Right now, I buy all my bags with the intention of them being forever bags. Clearly not all of them are as I've sold a bunch and and working on the long-term goal os eventually downsizing. But, I've never bought a bag for the purpose of it being a short-term bag and being OK with that. But what a great way to indulge in some of those trends I'm so easily influenced into without spending the big buck for it.

I'm going to sit with all this a bit and really think about it. Most of all, I'm really going to try and let go of this pressure I'm putting on myself to get down to a certain number and get rid of things asap. Like you, and everyone, has said, there doesn't need to be any rush, and in doing this, I want to do it in a thoughtful, no-regret way.

That’s really good advice!

If you had 50 Hermes or Chanel it would be different, but your bags Are replaceable ..

But I Still don’t think you should rush into anything ….

You collected 50 bags, if they’re weighing you down, then yes, downsize, but if you still have” baby brain” you might get rid of bags and regret it

And I think I forgot to say congrats on your new family member!

Your bag needs will change-my sister started carrying rucksacks full if baby things, then full of food when she went to football with my dad, which he can’t do whilst my mum is so ill, now she can’t stop so it’s designer rucksacks!

So she has no place on pf and I don’t want her here lol!

But for her birthday I’m going to swamp her with rucksacks in different colours as she refuses to wear a handbag-so I can’t give her a new one of mine…her birthday isn’t until March but I have 2 she’ll love already….no Chanel I’m afraid!

Back to you, I think you sound overwhelmed with the huge wonderful change to your life and are taking it out on your bags!

When you actually want to part with any you’ll Know.

I guess you’re carrying baby things atm, but when you carry a bag, try a different one each time to see how it makes you feel.

If you hate it, it has to go, if you’re still attached it stays.

Even if you keep all 50 it Doesn’t matter!

Just concentrate on your new life and the bags will sort themselves out…❤❤❤❤
Lol, definitely not a collection full of 50 Chanel and Hermes bags! Thank you for the congrats. :heart:

Your sister and niece are so lucky to have you. What wonderful and incredibly thoughtful gifts you have planned for them!

Some of my bags definitely can be easily replaced, but I'd rather not go through the selling and rebuying process if I don't have to. After all the feedback I've gotten here, I've decided to definitely take my time with this. I still do want my collection to be smaller, but there really is no reason to make it all happen right now this minute. A selling spree is exactly why I have those few bags I regret selling so I should try to avoid that happening again. And yes, changing bag needs is actually just another reason to take my time since, right now, I really think I have bags to cover all categories. I think I just need to work on really honing in on how I feel about each bag. And I may not ever get to that 25-35 range that I aspire to, but maybe that's ok. Maybe I'm just someone who has a lot of bags, and I just learn to accept that.

Reactions: cecchetti
Lol, definitely not a collection full of 50 Chanel and Hermes bags! Thank you for the congrats. :heart:

Your sister and niece are so lucky to have you. What wonderful and incredibly thoughtful gifts you have planned for them!

Some of my bags definitely can be easily replaced, but I'd rather not go through the selling and rebuying process if I don't have to. After all the feedback I've gotten here, I've decided to definitely take my time with this. I still do want my collection to be smaller, but there really is no reason to make it all happen right now this minute. A selling spree is exactly why I have those few bags I regret selling so I should try to avoid that happening again. And yes, changing bag needs is actually just another reason to take my time since, right now, I really think I have bags to cover all categories. I think I just need to work on really honing in on how I feel about each bag. And I may not ever get to that 25-35 range that I aspire to, but maybe that's ok. Maybe I'm just someone who has a lot of bags, and I just learn to accept that.

Exactly, having 50+ bags isn’t a deadly sin.,xxxxxxxxxx

Reactions: papertiger

I think it is very helpful that you understand your prior selling spree resulted in buying bags.
Another thing that occurred to me in reading these posts, which certainly has certainly been helpful to me, is that it is realistic that certain style bags will come and go with the seasons of our life.
For the first time in my life, I am enjoying carrying a medium to small bag. It’s probably a metaphor for this urge to begin downsizing in my life! I have always gravitated toward roomy bags and totes. It is comforting to know I don’t need to make any drastic purges.

I'm looking to downsize my closet after about a decade of collecting. While I still love handbags (and fashion in general), I find that my priorities have shifted as I've gotten older. I've let go of 6 bags already and have a few more listed on various resale sites. Everyone's situation is different, but my ideal number is 10 bags total (although realistically I'll probably keep 15-20). Most importantly, I realized that I don't need to fill every potential gap in my wardrobe. For example, I listed all of my clutches because I just find them too impractical for my lifestyle.

I also find myself increasingly turned off by the various tactics that luxury brands engage in to keep their manufactured "exclusivity." The price increases and QC issues for one (Chanel and LV are probably the most egregious offenders, but other brands do the same. When I first bought my small Loewe Puzzle bag, I paid $1.9k for mine. The new version now costs $2.6k and is missing some of the design features that made the original so great). Dana Thomas' book Deluxe: How Luxury Lost Its Luster is a good, if somewhat outdated, read that offers insight into the mass production of designer goods.

I'm looking to downsize my closet after about a decade of collecting. While I still love handbags (and fashion in general), I find that my priorities have shifted as I've gotten older. I've let go of 6 bags already and have a few more listed on various resale sites. Everyone's situation is different, but my ideal number is 10 bags total (although realistically I'll probably keep 15-20). Most importantly, I realized that I don't need to fill every potential gap in my wardrobe. For example, I listed all of my clutches because I just find them too impractical for my lifestyle.

I also find myself increasingly turned off by the various tactics that luxury brands engage in to keep their manufactured "exclusivity." The price increases and QC issues for one (Chanel and LV are probably the most egregious offenders, but other brands do the same. When I first bought my small Loewe Puzzle bag, I paid $1.9k for mine. The new version now costs $2.6k and is missing some of the design features that made the original so great). Dana Thomas' book Deluxe: How Luxury Lost Its Luster is a good, if somewhat outdated, read that offers insight into the mass production of designer goods.
I love that book. That is mainly my reason to stay away from premier brands. At a three figure pricetag you can get good quality bags. At four digits you pay for branding and not for craftsmanship.

I once read a ******** article about ten bags. It seemed a good number but is not what my heart wants. I see it around a lot. Why do you picked that as your ideal number?

If you rehomed your clutches and already know why you want to declutter, you are off to a great start. Have fun with the rest of the declutter.

I love that book. That is mainly my reason to stay away from premier brands. At a three figure pricetag you can get good quality bags. At four digits you pay for branding and not for craftsmanship.

I once read a ******** article about ten bags. It seemed a good number but is not what my heart wants. I see it around a lot. Why do you picked that as your ideal number?

If you rehomed your clutches and already know why you want to declutter, you are off to a great start. Have fun with the rest of the declutter.
Thanks! Yes, Dana Thomas' book was very eye-opening, along with this article from the New Yorker: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/...workers-who-assemble-designer-bags-in-tuscany. I've completely lost interest in acquiring new stuff from certain brands like Chanel (poor business practices) and Dolce & Gabbana (horrible racist/homophobic/misogynistic culture).

I haven't seen the Purseblog article, would you mind linking it? I'm curious which types of bags the blog recommended. I picked ten because I went through my collection and made a list of the bags that I couldn't see myself ever giving up, even decades down the line. Ten made the list for various practical/sentimental reasons, although I have a few more that I'd be very sad to part with (therefore 15-20 being the realistic final number).

Thanks! Yes, Dana Thomas' book was very eye-opening, along with this article from the New Yorker: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/...workers-who-assemble-designer-bags-in-tuscany. I've completely lost interest in acquiring new stuff from certain brands like Chanel (poor business practices) and Dolce & Gabbana (horrible racist/homophobic/misogynistic culture).

I haven't seen the Purseblog article, would you mind linking it? I'm curious which types of bags the blog recommended. I picked ten because I went through my collection and made a list of the bags that I couldn't see myself ever giving up, even decades down the line. Ten made the listor various practical/sentimental reasons, although I have a few more that I'd be very sad to part with (therefore 15-20 being the realistic final number).

I believe that @Egel may be referring to the following article:

https://www.********.com/no-more-than-10-bags/

It's an interesting read. If this is indeed the correct article, I recall that when it first came out there were many who were praising the author's point of view while others found it an unrealistic number. I think that, as with many things, one should consider what works best with one's own needs, wants and lifestyle. Someone else's point of view, although it could be considered inspirational (or even aspirational), may ultimately not be appropriate for another.

It's an interesting read. If this is indeed the correct article, I recall that when it first came out there were many who were praising the author's point of view while others found it an unrealistic number. I think that, as with many things, one should consider what works best with one's own needs, wants and lifestyle. Someone else's point of view, although it could be considered inspirational (or even aspirational), may ultimately not be appropriate for another.

Thank you, that was an interesting read! A lot of Birkins and classic flaps on that list. While beautiful, I've realized those bags aren't really suitable for my more casual lifestyle (although I do plan to keep my mini flap for sentimental reasons).

Reactions: Egel

I don't relate to that article. I've already decided I'll never own Hermes or Chanel (other than slgs). I don't want to own any bag that costs more than $1000. I expected to see something that I've seen in other minimalist collection articles - a bag for work, a bag for special occasions, an everyday bag, a bag for shopping, etc. - a collection where each bag serves a specific function. I didn't note anything of the sort in that article.

When it comes to bags, there have been times when I’ve been struck out of the blue. Several months ago, I took a photo that I refer to as Heavy Metal. It’s of my black bags with a significant amount of metal…..in my case PHW. At the time, I had a black Della Cavalleria reserved. After looking at this photo a number of times, I had an epiphany: it occurred to me that a Della Cavalleria was very similar to my BBVerrou. I immediately felt that I didn’t need, or even want, the Della. I wasn’t expecting it, but so far, I haven’t thought again about adding the bag. Considering my usual way of thinking, this is a miracle….

The photo that did it: two clutches; two shoulder bags and a tote……

View attachment 5222129

@diane278 What is the name of the clutch in the middle and the one to the right of it that looks the same but is taller? I am not familiar with these but am loving their shape. Are these bags still available in retail stores or are they older models? Thank you.

@_Moravia_ These are both versions of a Baton de Craie. The shorter one is a clutch, while the taller one is a shoulder bag. I think the style first appeared in 2017, but I’m not sure. I did see a clutch in a vache leather one time when I was in the Palo Alto store about two years ago, perhaps even longer than that. They pop up on the resale market from time to time.

Here’s a photo of the clutch that shows how narrow the top section is.
I love the style but it doesn’t hold much.

5BACE1CC-8149-4F69-AF9C-505B56DC1CD9.jpeg

@whateve it was indeed that kind of an article. Unfortunately I can not find it anymore and I bookmarked it on my old phone. I did found this article https://www.yoogiscloset.com/blog/how-to-start-handbag-collection/ that sums it up. As you said, it was a very generic list. I do know that PB added a travel bag and a dream bag, because there will always be that one bag.

My cut off point is three numbers. I do not feel save wearing a bag that will cost more. I know that at the time I stumbled upon the pb article and although it was generic, it was an eyeopener. After that I bought bags that filled a gap in my collection even though I had no use for it. That is when I started to figure out what I needed instead of what I wanted. There are no gaps in my collection because my bags are not stamps. They have a purpose and it is not a collection collecting dust.

If I ever find the article again, I'll add it.

-

@_Moravia_ It was not the article I was thinking about but I do love the article you mentioned. I also love all her other writing. I wanted to be like her, minus the stickershock, but it lacked something. After some time I realised that I like bags to much. I would never be satisfied with a well rounded collection because there would always be another or a newer bag. That is when I shifted to one in one out and I added the cheap trendy bag. This keeps the volume of bags down. I can still look at bags as a hobby. I don't feel guilty when I buy another bag.

-

@behindtheseams I am going to read that article later on, thank you for bringing it to my attention. If you ave some time to read, I suggest:

https://www.********.com/curating-your-collection-part-i-to-let-go-or-not-to-let-go/

https://www.********.com/does-it-stay-or-should-it-go-a-guide-to-help-you-decide/

https://www.********.com/falling-out-of-love-with-your-handbag-collection-follow-these-5-steps/
Edit @whateve this was the article I was looking for. No wonder my keywords didn't bring anything up.

https://www.********.com/8-ways-to-fall-in-love-with-your-bags-again/

https://www.********.com/why-one-in-and-one-out-and-no-more-than-10-bags/

It might look like a lot of reading but it's mostly short articles. I hope you enjoy them too.

Last edited:
@_Moravia_ These are both versions of a Baton de Craie. The shorter one is a clutch, while the taller one is a shoulder bag. I think the style first appeared in 2017, but I’m not sure. I did see a clutch in a vache leather one time when I was in the Palo Alto store about two years ago, perhaps even longer than that. They pop up on the resale market from time to time.

Here’s a photo of the clutch that shows how narrow the top section is.
I love the style but it doesn’t hold much.

View attachment 5225438

Love it! Thank you for the reply. I'm a big clutch fan so this is right up my alley. I'm loving both of your colours for it as well (not to mention your bone cuff which we're twins on ;)). You wear them very well. Off to check resale sites...

Reactions: diane278