Sesame Street Pulls Katey Perry's Appearance from Premier

This is completely ridiculous and blown way out of proportion. I won't re-list all the reasons why. Do we ban figure skating from the airwaves now? It's not beyond the realm of possibility that a 5 year old might watch skating and their costumes are lower cut and with a shorter skirt than Katy's costume. What about gymnastics? You see a lot of ass hanging out of those leotards!

For those that feel it's inappropriate, did you know Sesame Street has done a spoof of True Blood, called "True Mud"? Do you feel it's appropriate for SS to spoof a show that's nothing but blood, violence and sex? And don't use the argument that kids won't make the connection between the two shows. The SS demographic wouldn't make the connection between Katy Perry's boobs and sexuality, either.

Sesame Street is expected to be watched by young kids. Figure skating, gymnastics, etc are not geared towards young children. I don't see how they can even be compared.

Sesame Street is expected to be watched by young kids. Figure skating, gymnastics, etc are not geared towards young children. I don't see how they can even be compared.

i don't think that's true - i watched the gymnastics just for those events when i was younger, maybe not sesame street age - but an age old enough to be aware of what they were wearing

I guess what I meant was parents should be able to expect Sesame Street to be age appropriate. I still don't see how a pre-school show can be compared to one that's not tailored for the same age. Just my opinion.

And as a parent, it's your job to let your child watch what you feel is appropriate for him/her. If you don't want your child mimicking what's in a video, don't let him/her watch the videos in the first place.

Im not sure why you felt the need to tell me this, I don't think I stated anything that disagrees with that. My daughter is 9 months old, she doesn't watch TV anyway. When she's old enough that she pays attention to the tv, I won't be expecting it to parent for me. But with that being said, when a program is aimed at VERY young children, there shouldn't be a need for me to screen it for anything "inappropriate" in the first place.

What's acceptable and what's not is subjective, and I understand that. No parent can protect their child from every little thing that they may not agree it. They can only teach what they believe is right. It doesn't change the fact that to me, Katy Perry isn't SS appropriate, and to me that applies to some of the other guests, and even some skits that they've done. But like I said before, I'm not writing any letters, or emailing any complaints, because it's really, really not a big deal to me.

Here's the thing about Sesame Street (and it speaks to the true genius of Jim Henson). It isn't geared just to children. It was created to show that you can have children's programming that is fun for adults to watch too.
I personally don't see what the big deal is. I actually thought her boobage was pretty toned down. Sesame Street has had Colin Farrel (actor, sex tape star, and general bad boy) and lots of other people on that would be deemed inappropriate for their offscreen antics.
If it bothers you, don't watch it. I can't stand the damn Kardashians, but you don't see me campaigning to get the show pulled.

So wait...if it's geared towards kids, why does it matter what YOU think about it? Like I said, try to think back to when you were 4 or 5 and tell me if you saw women or men in a sexual manner. If you saw...say...Dolly Parton, would you make a sexual comment about how large and attractive her breasts are when you were 5? I doubt it. So then why does it really matter to you? Cause based on your views, views that have been shaped by sexuality and views that are affected by sexuality, you feel it's inappropriate for a child to see, but again, children don't see it the same way, so why do you feel the need to apply the same standards?

It's been stated in this thread, that the children who have watched it, didn't even notice what she was wearing...cause they aren't aware of what's sexually appropriate or not, cause they don't know what sexuality is. The only people who have a problem with it are parents who think that kids might have a problem with it.

Im not sure why you felt the need to tell me this, I don't think I stated anything that disagrees with that. My daughter is 9 months old, she doesn't watch TV anyway. When she's old enough that she pays attention to the tv, I won't be expecting it to parent for me. But with that being said, when a program is aimed at VERY young children, there shouldn't be a need for me to screen it for anything "inappropriate" in the first place.

What's acceptable and what's not is subjective, and I understand that. No parent can protect their child from every little thing that they may not agree it. They can only teach what they believe is right. It doesn't change the fact that to me, Katy Perry isn't SS appropriate, and to me that applies to some of the other guests, and even some skits that they've done. But like I said before, I'm not writing any letters, or emailing any complaints, because it's really, really not a big deal to me.

Because you stated question "What if she saw KP on SS and then saw some of her antics on another channel...etc, etc". From that statement, it led me to believe that you'd be letting your child watch SS and then watch other channels that air non SS Katy Perry antics. If that would never happen, fine, but if that would never happen, then your point isn't valid.

I watched gymnastics (and went to gymnastics classes in a leotard) starting at age 3. So yeah, little kids are watching these sporting events too. Of course, at age 3, the only person worrying about my ass hanging out of a leotard would have been my mother.