Serious buyer’s remorse on Celine bag. Return possible from bag purchased in Europe?

chinelly

Nov 11, 2014
Got a Celine teen canvas triomphe while in Europe and the price got the bag with VAT return is great however I am back in the States and having some serious buyers remorse. I just feeling the craftsmanship is not up to par for a bag that’s 3000 euros. I found inconsistency in stitching and the way the leather is sealed on the side is not even. I tried to go to a store to exchange it while I was still in Europe and the SAs basically intimidated me saying if I want a perfect bag then I shouldn’t buy high-end luxury bags that are handmade. They showed me another bag they had and honestly it looked worst. I ended up just leaving without returning or exchanging.

Now I am back in the states and really felt like I should have return the bag. Am I just being paranoid? Are you folks familiar with returning a Celine bought in another country in the U.S.? At this point, I am kind of just not wanting to exchange for another one anymore

Got a Celine teen canvas triomphe while in Europe and the price got the bag with VAT return is great however I am back in the States and having some serious buyers remorse. I just feeling the craftsmanship is not up to par for a bag that’s 3000 euros. I found inconsistency in stitching and the way the leather is sealed on the side is not even. I tried to go to a store to exchange it while I was still in Europe and the SAs basically intimidated me saying if I want a perfect bag then I shouldn’t buy high-end luxury bags that are handmade. They showed me another bag they had and honestly it looked worst. I ended up just leaving without returning or exchanging.

Now I am back in the states and really felt like I should have return the bag. Am I just being paranoid? Are you folks familiar with returning a Celine bought in another country in the U.S.? At this point, I am kind of just not wanting to exchange for another one anymore
I don’t see how you’ll be able to return unless there’s a defect. Your best bet is to try and sell it and hope you can recoup most of your money since you got it at a lower price in Europe

I would think you would be able to exchange for the same bag if you think your current one is not up to par. My parents purchased me an Hermes bag in Europe and I didn't love the color. My US Hermes boutique had no issue letting me exchange for a new color.

Unfortunately I don’t think you’ll be able to exchange in the US :/ It’s still worth it to ask at the boutique to see if they make an exception, but usually the hassle of getting the back back to the store it was purchased from is something they don’t want to deal with. I think due to inventory rules, generally it’s hard to buy an item overseas then return it at your home store. Best of luck!! Maybe hold on to it and see if it grows on you.

• Insightful
Reactions: 880
If you are within 14 calendar days and your item is in new condition with all packaging, then you can try to return in person to a boutique. I limit my purchases abroad (and I examine everything carefully) bc if I have an issue, I want to return it to my regular SA. Agree with @GucciGoneWild re inventory and other issues that would make your home store reluctant to process this return.

ETA: I wear mainly Hermes bags, and I would say honestly that all of them have inconsistencies in stitching and if I really looked closely, uneven sealing. These things are generally not considered defects. The only bag I own that is perfect is my hand stitched bag from Duret. Remorse, including the remorse felt that x bag was not worth y USD is considered buyers remorse and would not generally be given leeway with respect to return policies.

Last edited:
I just purchased exactly the same bag in Paris and fortunately I don’t see any of the issues you mention and I’m quite happy with it.

But if you are unhappy at least ask US Celine about a return or exchange. At worst they will say no. Not sure where you are but the bag is about $1,000 less in Europe than the US so you may be able to sell without a huge hit.

Celine has a two year warranty so also possible the sealing issue could be fixed.

Can you show us pictures? I’m curious because I want a Celine teen triomphe

Can you show us pictures? I’m curious because I want a Celine teen triomphe
Here are some photos. I understand uneven stitching in one place is fine. But I see that is multiple places all throughout. And uneven sealing all throughout too.
IMG_8468.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8463.jpeg
    IMG_8463.jpeg
    190.5 KB · Views: 378
  • IMG_8467.jpeg
    IMG_8467.jpeg
    190.5 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_8465.jpeg
    IMG_8465.jpeg
    192.4 KB · Views: 372
  • Sad
Reactions: lilapot
Yes I am still within the 14 days of return period. It’s a drive for me to go to the nearest boutique. The thing I worry about like you folks mention, how the VAT and inventory would work

Here are some photos. I understand uneven stitching in one place is fine. But I see that is multiple places all throughout. And uneven sealing all throughout too.
View attachment 5904229
Oh gosh - those all look super normal to me. You are not going to find one that is perfect bc they are handmade. If you want perfect buy a machine made bag

I am not sure about Celine's policy but I can tell you that. I recently learned While shopping at Dior and Bvlgari in Amsterdam that if I wanted to return, I would have to bring to the exact boutique I purchased at and be stuck with a store Credit that could only be used there. Louie Vuitton, on the other hand had a normal return policy. Sure all brands are different but It definitely pays to enquire in advance as not one single sales associate informed me of their policy.

• Insightful
Reactions: 880 and Joeli7
View attachment 5904229
This is consistent with Celine quality from my experience. My Celine bags all have minor stitching and sealing inconsistencies. All of my bags do, including my Hermes bags, and especially my LV. :lol:
If this is too off for you, I get it. Hope you can exchange or return, or sell for a good price.