Selling middlebrow brands

pippaWA

Jan 30, 2009
A question for all the closet-clearing tPFers: Usually I sell only the more expensive brand-name high-end stuff on Ebay because that's what sells, especially at a good discount. Like Prada or Luisa Beccaria or Vince / Theory / brand-name denim. I am going through a drastic closet clearout right now and I have ended with a ton of stuff (clothes, shoes, some bags) by low-tier middlebrow labels, like Michael by Michael Kors, Lauren by Ralph Lauren, DKNY by ... you get the idea. Everything is is excellent condition or better yet with tags still, but nothing is really spendy or sought after. My question is: is it even worth trying to sell these labels on Ebay or should I not waste my time and simply make the day of some local Goodwill regulars?

p-WA

If you want to get money for them, I'd do ebay. Do a completed listing search to see how much similar items sold for, do a active listing search to see what other people are currently selling for, and then list your item at a lower price. I do this all the time because I am cleaning out my closet as well. I've got a lot of clothes, but mostly designer shoes and bags...and if you start low, you'll usually get bids because people want deals.

For the more expensive stuff and more sought after things like handbags or shoes, I'd start higher or set a reserve.

But if you want to donate, women's shelters (for domestic violence victims) take clothes and pretty much anything since most women flee their abusers (husbands/boyfriends) in secrecy and don't have time to pack and they often have children with them.

Donate, donate, donate. Get paper receipts.

You do a good deed, plus get the tax write-off.

But I would definitely not donate to Goodwill - I'd donate to a women's shelter or other great cause.

Donating is always a good, no matter what. And I suggested the women's shelter because I live in CA and the governor pulled all state funding from women's shelters. So all these shelters are scrambling to find money to keep helping these women and children because 50-80% of their funding was taken away.

Anyway, you can even set a percentage of your ebay sales to charity as well! Some local shelters may be on that list! Or any other cause you find suits you. So you can get some money for your things AND help out for worthy causes. =)

If you want to get money for them, I'd do ebay. Do a completed listing search to see how much similar items sold for, do a active listing search to see what other people are currently selling for, and then list your item at a lower price. I do this all the time because I am cleaning out my closet as well. I've got a lot of clothes, but mostly designer shoes and bags...and if you start low, you'll usually get bids because people want deals.

See, that's what I do with expensive stuff. I just don't think that selling a nice but inexpensive shirt that can be had for $29.99 on sale at every Macy's will fetch much on EBay.

I think I might have to donate.

p-WA

If you really want to sell I would take great pics and put your items in LOTS. However you might want to go with the other posters suggestion-Donate and take the tax write off. It will be faster, less work and may get your more in the end. Plus it is nice to help people.

Donate. In addition to shelters, there are programs for women who are trying to re-enter the workplace. They are always looking for new/newer clothes for women to wear to interviews etc.

If there's anything in your lot that's particularly cute or trendy looking, you can always try bringing it in to Buffalo Exchange or a similar clothing recycling place. Otherwise, I agree with everyone else that it's a great idea to donate the clothes--you won't have to deal with hassle of eBay, you'll do a good deed, and you can get a tax break.

Yes, something nice, newish and good name will sell on ebay. If it will not sell on first time, try a second time. If after a couple of auction the items are not sold, then donate and get tax deduction receipts.

Hi pippa,

I'm in Seattle, and sell on EBay, too. Just want to throw in a couplea things, Crossroads is another great used clothing exchange place, and they take things it sounds like you have. Second, most of my sales are bags I pick up at thrift stores, and most are in the "middlebrow" range. I'd be happy to give you more info if you want.

I would not list unless you're positive it'll sell for more than you're going to spend on the venture, though, contrary to thewave's opinion, you don't want to end up losing money. Calculate all your fees and percentages, shipping costs and the PayPal fees before you decide whether to list them or not.

Give a holler if I can help more~

Oh, and fyi, the Goodwill here is a GREAT cause, they provide a lot of good services to help folks get educated and employed. Most are struggling with different challenges to employment, and they do everything to get them up and running. Ours have social workers to help with food, housing, med, they do English language for immigrants, GED prep, employability training, place them in jobs and follow up with continued support to make sure they can stay employed. They also have summer work programs for youth and a transitional college program. Yup, i'm a cheerleader. :woohoo:

I agree with most already made comments. I'd say first look at completed listings to see what similar items sold.

Unique/interesting items, and larger ticket items, even medium ticket items, like a midbrow label blazer, could very well sell. If you have enough items, you might get people looking through all the items. But you're putting the time and effort into it.

Nice lots are really good, like house staging in real estate. Put up an outfit or a small set of shirts.

I'm usually on eBay to find specific items no longer being carried, but in the past have bought all sorts of silly things I didn't really need...

I agree with the lot idea--I had a bunch of Old Navy tank tops that normally cost about $5 each (on sale) in a lot (probably 7 I think) and they were worn but I still got about $12 for them all. Not much, but I got rid of them and made someone happy with the great deal they got.