Selling a Bag You're NOT sure is authentic???

Status
Not open for further replies.

shopbunny

Jul 31, 2011
Need to put this question out there.

I'm trying to help out a relative who needs extra money by helping her sell stuff on ebay and etsy and holding a garage sale (I'm good at that).

She has a designer handbag she got as a gift a couple of years ago and neither of us know if it's authentic. She had a rich friend who gave it to her. It was used but in very good condition. The woman who gave it to her barely used it and my aunt barely used it. But she is not in touch with the woman anymore and can't verify its authenticity.

She doesn't have the time or money to hire a professional authenticator. I suspect it's not authentic because the strap and the "leather details" looks like fake leather to me.I'm not 100% sure.

I did research on ebay and you're not allowed to sell unless you know it's 100% authentic (I don't understand how all the fakes manage to sell on ebay). Authentic used bags of this model sell for about $700-$800 on ebay.

My aunt is willing to get rid of it for next to nothing of what it might be worth just to get some money. She wants to declutter and sell off a lot of stuff and bank the money.

Is there a place online where someone can sell a bag and tell people upfront they're not sure if it's authentic. She figures that people will be willing to pay $200 for it, even if they know it's a knockoff. Even as a knockoff, it has value. But she's not sure of the legality of selling a knockoff, and neither am I!!

She would rather just be upfront and sell it and tell people upfront she doesn't know if it's authentic or not and charge a very low price. But where can you do this? Ebay is strictly against this.

She would rather just be upfront and sell it and tell people upfront she doesn't know if it's authentic or not and charge a very low price. But where can you do this? Ebay is strictly against this.

What brand is this bag? The forum here has specific threads devoted to authentication , so why don't you post pics of it in the corresponding thread, or even on this thread you just started. Someone will be able to help out. I don't see why you should lose money if it is an authentic bag...

Status
Not open for further replies.