Sell or keep

Ally3210

Sep 21, 2018
9F9049DC-769B-4BD7-8C01-1D2DAF07F9AB.jpeg Hi, I have a vintage Chanel Camera bag. Although it’s beautiful, it’s been sitting in my closet all these years cause the chain strap digs into my shoulders. The resale is close to what I paid, although I’m not seeing them even sell that quickly.Also, I have some leather indents from not storing it proberly.
Should I remove the chain and replace it with another strap? Although a good strap is upward of another thousand, or just try and sell it? I am seeing designer bags mix up straps online.
If I do replace the strap what does anyone recommend?
Thank you
Ally

Would you use it if it had a different strap?
Is it your style, after several years?
Or, do you have a different style now and you’d rather not go through the expense and time of switching out the strap. What do you feel in your gut? Trust yourself.

I believe, if you’ve been able to live without using it for years, perhaps you should sell it and put the funds towards a future Chanel dream bag.

Just a quick note, if you change the strap, I’m unsure if your resale value will be the same with an altered bag, that is, if you decide to sell later on.

Reactions: ccbaggirl89
that's the original strap, you won't gain any value by replacing it, you'll lose more because it's then 'altered' and it'll probably make the authenticity questionable. it's vintage. a vintage buyer would want it original, or for much less $$$ if you alter the chain. i'd sell it, especially if you don't like it. imo it isn't as highly desired because it doesn't have the leather through the chain strap, so that might be why it sits longer on the market. try to massage the indents with your hands/fingers over a few weeks, they'll probably look better.

Do you no longer love the bag, or is the only reason you don’t wear it the chain digging into your shoulder? If you still love it and don’t really want to sell, I’d look into whether someone like Leather Surgeons could add a piece of leather to the strap to make it more comfortable. Yes, this would lower your resale value (or you’d have to send it back to have the leather piece taken out before selling), but if you love the style and don’t want to sell the bag, this could be an option.

Hi beautiful bag. I agree if your not using it then you should sell it as is rather than altering it and buy a new bag that you will be able to use. Altering the strap would definitely make it appear as if it is a replica.