Seems like everything is so casual now

L etoile

tPF addict
O.G.
Jun 9, 2007
I feel like I see way more casual attire now than ever before. Are younger generations eschewing dressing up? I rarely see young people in heels and dresses. They seem to favor jeans, shorts, flat shoes, etc. Are we becoming more casual as a society? Thoughts on this?

I feel like I see way more casual attire now than ever before. Are younger generations eschewing dressing up? I rarely see young people in heels and dresses. They seem to favor jeans, shorts, flat shoes, etc. Are we becoming more casual as a society? Thoughts on this?

I do think as a society we are generally more casual now and I think there is an demise in many types of formalities, not just in clothing. We are more "casual" in a multitude of ways. In the US, speech and manners seem far less formal among younger generations. Younger generations seem perfectly comfortable referring to teachers, parents, bosses and others in authority by first names only. When our parents were kids, not in a million years would they have referred to a friend's mother by the first name. In schools, cursive handwriting is no longer taught. Fewer people write formal handwritten "thank you" notes, instead they rely on a quick email to speak for them. Telephone calls and face to face meetings are replaced by texts and the like. Why send a "Happy Birthday" card when you can simply text it? The boundaries, structure and formalities that were integral in forming older generations are far less prevalent in modern society in the United States. Is this inherently good or bad? I suppose it depends who is answering the question.

For me personally, I never even wore jeans before I was in college. Of course that may be because I couldn't find any to fit my scrawny body and flat tush! :smile: My grandmother's voice still runs in my head, so I often think dressing well is a sign not only of self respect, but also respect to those you are meeting. Personally, I also feel better when I dress well. That being said, I enjoy the freedom of being able to put on a pair of jeans and ballet flats from time to time. But NEVER will you catch me in athletic wear or sweats outside of the gym... well the sweats seem to have found their way into my lounging at home attire... but I swear... never on the other side of the front door! :smile:

I do think as a society we are generally more casual now and I think there is an demise in many types of formalities, not just in clothing. We are more "casual" in a multitude of ways. In the US, speech and manners seem far less formal among younger generations. Younger generations seem perfectly comfortable referring to teachers, parents, bosses and others in authority by first names only. When our parents were kids, not in a million years would they have referred to a friend's mother by the first name. In schools, cursive handwriting is no longer taught. Fewer people write formal handwritten "thank you" notes, instead they rely on a quick email to speak for them. Telephone calls and face to face meetings are replaced by texts and the like. Why send a "Happy Birthday" card when you can simply text it? The boundaries, structure and formalities that were integral in forming older generations are far less prevalent in modern society in the United States. Is this inherently good or bad? I suppose it depends who is answering the question.

For me personally, I never even wore jeans before I was in college. Of course that may be because I couldn't find any to fit my scrawny body and flat tush! :smile: My grandmother's voice still runs in my head, so I often think dressing well is a sign not only of self respect, but also respect to those you are meeting. Personally, I also feel better when I dress well. That being said, I enjoy the freedom of being able to put on a pair of jeans and ballet flats from time to time. But NEVER will you catch me in athletic wear or sweats outside of the gym... well the sweats seem to have found their way into my lounging at home attire... but I swear... never on the other side of the front door! :smile:
I agree with this in every way (except I wore jeans before college).

I think status markers changed.
In US especially. But also notice elsewhere in world.

One dressed well to denote social position & wealth. In past.
For respect. And good service. And marriage prospects. All that rot.
Now, the 20-something in jeans & a wool beanie might own corporation. Or 3.

This kills some antiquated stereotypes, imo.
And encourages more equal treatment for all.
Which is goal of societies, as US. Where "bloodline" largely is meaningless for success.

However, baseline treatment has slipped into, "Yo, bro!"
With bits of, "Have you been pre-pre-pre-approved to buy this?"
And, "Your demands that I do my job are wasting time I use to surf facebook."

So, maybe slapping junior with reality & a necktie would not destroy us all?;)
However, I enjoy not being forced into skirts & pillbox hats & gloves.
Must be balance inbetween.
Though I fear youtube has murdered any healthy sense of shame left in humanity.
:biggrin:

Yes I agree about balance. I too was raised very formal and was not allowed to wear jeans as a kid and it took me a long time to feel comfortable wearing jeans and adding them to my wardrobe as an adult. Even still I must wear a blouse to dress the jeans up or if I wear a t-shirt I wear heels and my jeans also have to be body hugging and no loose fit.

Dressing formal was indeed a sign of prestige and separated you from the "have nots" and while I agree that society has become a bit too lax over all, it is good that people can dress casual and not be deemed a misfit. However dressing up is engrained in me and I do get looks from other women sometimes not pleasant ones in their athleisure gear like the nerve of me to be dressed up. But I don't care as dressing causally in that capacity is not an option for me hec I don't even own a pair of tennis shoes.

I'm a part of this newer generation of folks and I do agree that we have gone in a much more casual direction. I just did an internship this past summer and everyone was allowed to wear anything they wanted. The president of the company? He always wore shorts and a tee! I think it is all about practicality. We wear things that help us feel more comfortable and thus more productive and efficient. Although it is nice to dress up once in a while, and we do, but not as often imo.

I'm a part of this newer generation of folks and I do agree that we have gone in a much more casual direction. I just did an internship this past summer and everyone was allowed to wear anything they wanted. The president of the company? He always wore shorts and a tee! I think it is all about practicality. We wear things that help us feel more comfortable and thus more productive and efficient. Although it is nice to dress up once in a while, and we do, but not as often imo.

I don't think that dressing down on a regular basis is bad and I often dress down for errands etc., but I'm seeing more casual "special" events as well. I wonder if this is a generational thing? Most of the weddings that I've been to recently have been outside on the lawn or on the beach. It seems like I can't wear heels anymore unless I know I'm going to be indoors and I've already scouted the location to see if it's ok to wear heels. I've ruined so many pairs of heels at outdoor events when I wasn't expecting to be outdoors. I miss the days of indoor parties (with air conditioning!). I love wearing dresses with heels to special events. I wouldn't wear high heels to the grocery store, but there are fewer and fewer occasions for dressing up.

Also, fine restaurants have become more casual. If I'm spending $200+/person at dinner, I expect a tablecloth and a cloth napkin. So many restaurants have bare tables. People are out on a Saturday night in shorts. I see dressing up as a sign of respect.

This movement towards that casual has been bothering me lately. I'm all for wearing jeans and sneakers to the grocery store, but don't want to go to another wedding or retirement party where I'm the most dressed up person because I'm wearing a dress with heels.

I don't think that dressing down on a regular basis is bad and I often dress down for errands etc., but I'm seeing more casual "special" events as well. I wonder if this is a generational thing? Most of the weddings that I've been to recently have been outside on the lawn or on the beach. It seems like I can't wear heels anymore unless I know I'm going to be indoors and I've already scouted the location to see if it's ok to wear heels. I've ruined so many pairs of heels at outdoor events when I wasn't expecting to be outdoors. I miss the days of indoor parties (with air conditioning!). I love wearing dresses with heels to special events. I wouldn't wear high heels to the grocery store, but there are fewer and fewer occasions for dressing up.

Also, fine restaurants have become more casual. If I'm spending $200+/person at dinner, I expect a tablecloth and a cloth napkin. So many restaurants have bare tables. People are out on a Saturday night in shorts. I see dressing up as a sign of respect.

This movement towards that casual has been bothering me lately. I'm all for wearing jeans and sneakers to the grocery store, but don't want to go to another wedding or retirement party where I'm the most dressed up person because I'm wearing a dress with heels.

Yes I understand what you mean. To be totally honest I've never been to a an outdoor wedding. But I've been to many formal events and I don't think I have ever seen anyone dress casual. I'm with you on that though, for an event, everyone should definitely be formal and dressy. And yes indoor events are my favorite, even though I've never been outdoors, I can only imagine how hot it might feel on some days.

I think for restaurants, people just go to enjoy the meal so if it is not a date or an occasion to go out to dinner then I guess people just keep it chill? I've never been to any fancy restaurants so I'm of no help here lol

Reactions: L etoile
Yeah, I kind of miss fun opportunities to get dressed up. Remember when going to the theatre was all dressy? Now everyone just wears jeans and it doesn't feel like a special occasion anymore.

It also sucks because, if you have a job where formality is still expected, finding places that sell suits with matching pieces (as opposed to mismatching blazers and skirts etc) is really getting difficult!

Dressing has been increasingly casual for 100 years.
First came standard sizes/lengths in dept stores, then boutiques Then there was a demand for cheaper goods rather than better quality, out went the darts, proper waistbands, concealed zips, pockets, turn-ups, invisible hemming, cuffs etc.
It's cheaper to produce stuff that's stretchy and fits more sizes.
We've gone from 1/2" increments in petite, misses, plus, tall and standard patterns when people made clothes for themselves/dressmaker made to S,M,L in only 2 gens.
Seems to me old and young in general are dressing more and more alike so I don't think we should blame the younger gens

I'm a stay at home mom, so constantly casual, and accordingly, I REALLY really look forward to getting dressed up when there's a rare party or night out. Of course . . . others spend the week in "work" clothes and are excited to wear shorts and flip flops on the evenings/weekends. So I'm frequently overdressed. And I HATE to be overdressed! But it's practically impossible not to be nowadays if one puts ANY effort into dressing/accessorizing. So I try to just dress for myself and wear it with a super causal and non-fussed attitude.

And now, an anecdote: a few months back my husband tells me we're going to a colleage's birthday party at a rather chic waterfront bar. Lovely. So I plan my outfit; I look forward to getting out of yoga pants. He tells me the day of the event that, oh, he forgot to mention - it's a jorts party. Excuse me, a WHAT? Yes. Jorts. Jean shorts. The theme of the party is JEAN SHORTS and the host requested that everyone wear them. Can I tell you how pissed I was??? LMAO.