Seeking advice for a gift--I'm a guy

Brixy

Mar 4, 2010
Hi Ladies, you all seem very knowledgeable about coach so I thought that I'd enlist your advice. My four year anniversay w/ my GF (age 30) is approaching and she wouldn't be dissapointed w/ a coach bag.

I planned on getting her the the poppy patent hobo in that eye catching violet color. The two colors in consideration are purple and black. I think that bag looks more novel in the purple--after all it's poppy, kind of a whimisical vibe.

So, I go to Coach site today and behold the Kristin line is plastered on the home page (I guess it's new?) Wow the Krisitn leather hobo looks really nice. Unfortunately, it doesn't come in violet but the black certainly works.

My dilemma: Do you think that the black Kristin hobo is too staid, conventional attache like (if that makes any sense) compared to the violet poppy? The lines on the bags are so different. The krisitn hobo seems very classic or classy and the poppy violet patent seems more funky and fresh. The only thing I'm not sure that I'm a huge fan of on the poppy are those two pockets on the front. Err...I'm not sure how to say this but they kind of remind me of a woman's chest. Do they look good in real life, the pockets I mean? Anyway, if you were receiving a Coach bag as a gift which do you think is the better choice: The black Kristin leather hobo, or the violet patent poppy hobo? Thanks in advance for your help.

What types of bags and personality is she? Does she go for classic and simple stuff? Or does she like to be unique, and not let her age stop what she wears or buys?

What types of bags and personality is she? Does she go for classic and simple stuff? Or does she like to be unique, and not let her age stop what she wears or buys?
Well, that's the thing. before I met her she was dirt poor and quality bags weren't on her agenda. Now four years later she's still defining herself and I don't think she's decided whether she's more funky or the classic type. She still attending college and works in a hospital if that helps. She does look pretty young for her age though.

I think it's great that you are putting time and thought into which bag to get for your GF. Color-wise, the 2 bags are completely different. As you said the purple is funky and fresh, while the black is a great classic.
Since I'm not interested in either of these bags, I feel I can give a relatively unbiased opinion. The color on the Poppy is gorgeous and I love that it fades through the blue to purple color scale, however I am not at all impressed with the 2 front pockets, the silver patch in the middle, or the fabric crossbody strap. As far as the Kristin goes, black can be dull if your GF tends to like more fun, vibrant colors but a scarf and/or fob as well as colorful wallet & other accessories could be used to bring life to the black. I think that this bag is more of a classic and won't be as dated in the coming years.
If she's really into fashion trends and doesn't tend to hang onto bags for extended amounts of time, then maybe the poppy would be more fitting. I think, though, that my personal choice between the 2 bags would the the Kristin.
Good luck in your decision! I'm sure she'll love whatever you end up deciding to get her!

Classic bags are timeless - it will never go out of style if cared for properly.
Fun bags - It may last while it can as Fashion is continuously evolving.

For a special gift, you want a fashionable or a timeless and elegant bag? A bag is a reflection of one's personality & image just like shoes, clothes :P

Listen to bunny. She's like the Coach guru and has impeccable taste. LOL.

The style of bag mostly depends of your GF's personality. If she's very vibrant, bubbly and likes trendy bags, I'd try to hunt down the Violet Poppy. I've seen it in IRL and the color's great.

If she's more sophisticated, I'd go with the Kristin because it's a very classic looking bag. She will enjoy it for years to come.

Although your GF doesn't have a black bag, I'd still stay away from black. IMO, while the Black Kristin is nice, it isn't exactly a "wow" bag. If you want a "wow" gift, go with a splash of color, especially since Spring is fast approaching. Have you thought of perhaps purchasing a Kristin but in an unexpected color such as the Yellow, Peach or Turquoise? IMO, even the Chalk is better than Black - it's a nice neutral that can be worn year round.

Last edited:
Since she doesn't have a black bag, I would get her the black and have them tie on a pony tail scarf to "fun" it up! The ponytail scarves are only $38

Have you thought of perhaps purchasing a Kristin but in an unexpected color such as the Yellow, Peach or Turquoise?
I don't mind some of those colors but she still has a bit of a goth girl legacy in her, so I don't think those colors would work for her. She has very black raven hair and pale skin and likes purple and black.

I'd get her a kristin in one of the pretty colors! The turquoise or peach?

I'd stay away from the poppy line if she is nearly 30. Some ladies still love it, but if you aren't sure then I'd stick with some of the more mature looking bags.

Well, that's the thing. before I met her she was dirt poor and quality bags weren't on her agenda. Now four years later she's still defining herself and I don't think she's decided whether she's more funky or the classic type. She still attending college and works in a hospital if that helps. She does look pretty young for her age though.

i think what bunny was thinking of is how does she dress

does she dress in a lot of blacks and white? earth colors (like brown, green, olive, beige, etc) or more bright colors? etc..

is she more likely to wear a pair of jeans or pants or skirt on a day off?

if she is a college student and working at a hospital that is probably where she spends a lot of her time, besides with you, i think thats why you'd want a good sized bag so she can carry the majority of her stuff. the patent pocket hobo is nice because it allows her not to worry about the bag being dirty if she sets it on the floor..though if you buy black hobo kristin you don't have to worry as much either. it can be cleaned/moisturized and its black! so it won't show dirt as much..and the straps are leather unlike patent poppy..

i like that both bags have long and short straps making it more functional for her as a student and work.

i'll wait to see how she dresses before thinking of a particular style.. :P

How does she use her bags? Stuff them full? Keep them light? Carry work stuff in them? DO you know what you are buying would fit what need? (is this like a nice-time-out kinda bag.. or is this a work-slave bag?)
Listen to bunny. She's like the Coach guru and has impeccable taste. LOL.

The style of bag mostly depends of your GF's personality. If she's very vibrant, bubbly and likes trendy bags, I'd try to hunt down the Violet Poppy. I've seen it in IRL and the color's great.

If she's more sophisticated, I'd go with the Kristin because it's a very classic looking bag. She will enjoy it for years to come.

Although your GF doesn't have a black bag, I'd still stay away from black. IMO, while the Black Kristin is nice, it isn't exactly a "wow" bag. If you want a "wow" gift, go with a splash of color, especially since Spring is fast approaching. Have you thought of perhaps purchasing a Kristin but in an unexpected color such as the Yellow, Peach or Turquoise? IMO, even the Chalk is better than Black - it's a nice neutral that can be worn year round.
I personally am not a Kristen fan, and for the record, I'll turn 31 this year and I have been working IT for almost 11 years. I have a few poppy things, I have a few of the older lines, but for me, Kristen seems too feminine? I'm a tomboyish gal, and I like more unisex stuff... I have very little girly colors.
I don't mind some of those colors but she still has a bit of a goth girl legacy in her, so I don't think those colors would work for her. She has very black raven hair and pale skin and likes purple and black.
Does she still wear gothy stuff? (clothing, apparel, jewelry?) If she has neither black or purple.. it's an idea. What other color bags does she have?
I'd get her a kristin in one of the pretty colors! The turquoise or peach?

I'd stay away from the poppy line if she is nearly 30. Some ladies still love it, but if you aren't sure then I'd stick with some of the more mature looking bags.
We have many women on our board who have liked Poppy and are probably out of what I'd call the target range that Coach had in mind to be selling the bags too.

I'd get her something that is seasonal-exclusive... meaning don't get something springy or overly winter-ish... something she can use anytime that's not dependent on being the wrong color for the season (don't see a lot of pastels in fall, etc).

From how you've just described your GF, I'd go with the Black Kristin. The Black will keep her tied to her Goth roots but the classiness of the bag will move her style a step forward toward sophistication. You can call it Sophisticated Goth. I'm sure she'll love it.

Last edited: