Second Hand Sites Worth It?

Buttercup118

Apr 4, 2016
I regularly browse second hand sites, like Yoogi's Closet and Ann's Fabulous Finds, for LV items. The problem is, when they're in "very good" or better condition, the price doesn't compete with the Canadian equivalent. I'm serious.
This speedy in very good condition ("has wear on the corners, scratches on the hardware, faint scratching on the leather tabs at the bases of the handles, marks on the handles and inside, and a faint perfume odor" - which all seem fine for a second hand bag) is US$950 or about C$1255. With an 18% import duty (not to mention shipping fees and all), it's C$1480. A brand new one is C$1,570 with taxes in Ontario (13%) and even cheaper if you're lucky to live in Alberta $1,460. Free shipping.
As much as I love browsing these sites, doesn't the pricing seem a little whack? At least for LV?

Yep. I'm in Australia so even more expensive after dollar conversion and then duties and taxes. It is actually cheaper for me to fly to Paris and buy new, compared to buying second hand from the US. Stranger still is that we are meant to have Free Trade with the US. I sell to US and no duties or taxes are paid by my buyers.

Reactions: Buttercup118
It may be more worth it for buyers in the US, since there is no tax and free shipping. They do seem to sell a lot, especially the ones that I have marked as a favorite, lol. If the price, however, is close to retail, I would much rather buy new. What is worse to me is there is a company setting up in the department stores in my area selling 10 year old bags for twice what they originally sold for. Even if I would like to have one of the discontinued styles, I cannot justify paying such an increase for a much older used bag. The sales associates say they are selling them, but I find it hard to believe since we have an LV Boutique where I live.

I think the increase in price on the resale sites started when the monogram pieces became harder to come by in the stores or online and people got tired of waiting for them to replenish their stock. It is usually only what the market will bear, so they must get their prices. There is no other reason for them to ask the price and stay in business if the bags aren't selling.

I think the increase in price on the resale sites started when the monogram pieces became harder to come by in the stores or online and people got tired of waiting for them to replenish their stock. It is usually only what the market will bear, so they must get their prices. There is no other reason for them to ask the price and stay in business if the bags aren't selling.
Yeah like Chanel minis are way above retail for used bags. Luckily there is no bag that I love enough to pay above retail. I will wait or foreget it! I got other bags lol

I think it depends on the bag and the price. Sometimes the discount is too small to be "worth it." But if you are lucky you can also find some deals. I'm in the US so I luck out by not paying for shipping!

Reactions: OCMomof3
It may be more worth it for buyers in the US, since there is no tax and free shipping. They do seem to sell a lot, especially the ones that I have marked as a favorite, lol. If the price, however, is close to retail, I would much rather buy new. What is worse to me is there is a company setting up in the department stores in my area selling 10 year old bags for twice what they originally sold for. Even if I would like to have one of the discontinued styles, I cannot justify paying such an increase for a much older used bag. The sales associates say they are selling them, but I find it hard to believe since we have an LV Boutique where I live.
We have one of those two in Toronto. They're set up in the Bay department stores. One year I was looking for a Neverfull and the used one in store was maybe $50-$100 cheaper than brand new. I asked her why and she said Monogram is hard to come by and they hold their value (I mean if you're not counting reseller fees, which can be as much as 50%). This isn't necessarily true...I just checked on the LV Canada site and I can "place in cart" a Monogram Neverfull MM in any interior colour I want. Same with the DA in Rose Ballerine or Beige. So not THAT hard to come by. It boggles my mind who buys from them!

Oh AND! Get this, their Neverfull was very old - when they didn't come with the little pouch. Psh... If I'm shelling out that kind of money, I will pay an extra $100 for a pouch and not to worry about authenticity. Nevermind the light marking on it.

I think it depends on the bag and the price. Sometimes the discount is too small to be "worth it." But if you are lucky you can also find some deals. I'm in the US so I luck out by not paying for shipping!
True, some are not very popular but you might love it. I do love finding those, but the price on popular bags...I recently saw banana republic had a vintage bag section with a speedy 25 listed for $850 right across from the LV boutique.

Oh wow, that is ridiculous that you would pay nearly full price or above for a vintage/pre loved bag... I've browsed Yoogi's and Malleries for LV and Chanel. I live in the US and have some states with no sales tax that are worth taking advantage of. I've been in Paris before when the exchange rate was in my favor and it was cheaper to buy LV there than in US.

Reactions: Buttercup118
I live in Canada too and honestly don’t think it’s worth it buying from these second-hand sites, for all the reasons you listed too: import duties, exchange rate, shipping etc. Maybe if the item is small and I really want it but I’ve been careful with my spendings and have yet to come across an item that I cannot live without (and I’ve come close to with catogram key charm, vivienne the moscot items). I have thought about shipping an item to the border but I think it’s too big of a risk. I still enjoy browsing these sites just to see what they have though.

I also think it has to do with the fact that most of these second hand sites off some kind of “layaway” where you don’t have to pay for the bag all at once and some people may find that appealing. I don’t really know how it works but I guess if you want a Neverfull and need to pay it out over time then those are the go to sites.