Scientology, anyone?

allison said:
Thank you to whomever invented the epidural. The birth of my son went so smooth and I was so out of it that when they told me to push, I asked the nurse if I was pushing at all and I was laughing while pushing. No screaming, no cussing, no crying (I cried before my epidural though). I was happy happy happy.

I was so numb on both kids that they had to press on my stomach and use suction to get them out. :cry:

Didn't feel a thing though, of course once the epidural was in place, that is. :P

bagnshoofetish said:
silent birth? I think Katie should agree to a silent birth but only if Tom's testicles can be put into a vice grip at the same time.

I know that there is a whole lot out there about this silent birth that Katie is supposed to have. I do remember reading a few months back, in an article with Kelly Preston (also a Scientologist) that silent births are not totally silent. The woman can groan, moan, etc., but there is no added noise to the room-music, unnecessary, etc.

About 10 years ago hubby and I had the chance to visit their compound out in San Bernadino county, CA, where they make a lot of their CD's, movies and commericials. It was the weirdest, freakiest places I have ever been to. I practically ran to our car when we left, and I was 8 months pregnant. This was 10 years ago, and it still gives me a sick feeling.

The South Park episode where they explain scientology and have that banner that says, "This is what scientologists actually believe" is true. It's also funny as all ****. THis is a link to the entire South Park episode:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9t8LkfRkIDk&search=south%20park%20closet

Isaac Hayes left the show apparently pissed that they skewered Scientology, at one point saying something along the lines that they (Trey Parker and Matt Stone) ought to first attend some Scientology seminars to see what they're all about first, before passing judgement.

But if you read the WIKIPEDIA entry on Scientology, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology) the South Park episode got it pretty right on.

believe.jpg

ALSO.... from his Wikipedia entry: "A Reader's Digest article of May 1980 quoted Hubbard as saying in the 1940s "Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion."

So if that doesn't implicate how fabricated Scientology is, then you're ready to buy bridges.

LucreziaCA said:
Issac Hayes claimed he was "tired of the religious intolerance".
He had no problem skewering Christians, Mormons, Jehovah Witnesses, Muslims. But Scientologists are off limits. :smile:

Yup, exactly. Trey Parker said he didn't seem to mind cashing his paychecks over it.

Its funny how Tom Cruise attacked Matt Lauer on the Today show, saying how he *KNOWS* the history of psychiatry... And chastising Brooke Shields' medication choices... but he has no problem believing in a 'religion' that was essentially pulled out of a science fiction writer's ass.

Dani said:
The south park episode is HILARIOUS. and it's more about Tom Cruise, than scientology. :-p

"Daaaaaad, Tom Cruise won't come out of the closet!!!!!!"

Well the operating theory around Hollywood is that Tom Cruise is gay. (refer to the fact that Nicole Kidman was never knocked up by Tom and they have 2 adopted children, leading one to believe that intimate female contact for him is overwhelmingly repulsive.) Actually everyone is shocked Katie Holmes is pregnant, and there are many circulating rumours that doubt it's actually his child. Or even pregnant to begin with.

I'm sure it's his, but I wonder if he had to imagine it was a guy.

THe 'E-meter' is a major tool that Scientologists use in their diagnosis (or "auditing") of people.
emeter.jpg

A 1971 ruling of the United States District Court, District of Columbia (333 F. Supp. 357), specifically stated, "the E-meter has no proven usefulness in the diagnosis, treatment or prevention of any disease, nor is it medically or scientifically capable of improving any bodily function." [3] As a result of this ruling, Scientology now publishes disclaimers in its books and publications declaring that the E-meter "does nothing," and that it is used specifically for spiritual purposes.

SO THERE. Take THAT, Tom Cruise! Maybe you didn't REALLY have dyslexia after all!

classwhore said:
Well the operating theory around Hollywood is that Tom Cruise is gay. (refer to the fact that Nicole Kidman was never knocked up by Tom and they have 2 adopted children, leading one to believe that intimate female contact for him is overwhelmingly repulsive.) Actually everyone is shocked Katie Holmes is pregnant, and there are many circulating rumours that doubt it's actually his child. Or even pregnant to begin with.

I'm sure it's his, but I wonder if he had to imagine it was a guy.
This is what I have heard through the grapevine...
Creepy fact A: After Mimi Rogers divorced TC, she said in an interview that he was gay. Hence, Mimi got black-listed (lotsa scientologists in entertainment) and hasn't done anything really big since.
Creepy fact B: Nicole Kidman was hand-picked to be TC's wife by his "people". They promised her that if she stayed married to him for 10 years, she would get THE best movie roles AND an oscar. Honestly gals, I was told this by a Hollywood hairdresser before they got divorced.
Kinda' creepy, huh?

^^very very creepy. The whole Scientology thing really creeps me out. I loved the south park episode, it was great!

I can't stand TC. Hopefully his career will be over soon. I think he has pissed off too many people.

Scientology has characteristics of a cult. In my sociology class, a lady that use to be in a cult and was able to get out of it studies cults now. She says that Hubbard is at the top of the triangle and their is a hierarchy of people and each person branches out to get people to come into this triangle.

Hubbard's son actually branched out and made a different type of cult, don't remember what it is called, that has more outrageous theories and what not than scientology.

She explained that people are led into cults playing on what they already believe in or have a strong feeling about. She was in a very liberal political cult and at first she did not know it was a cult of course. She joined this "group" believing she would be part of a political change she greatly believed in. At first, the people were really nice to her to lure you in. Then they get distant she says and then nice to lure you in further. She says it is how they "brainwash" you.

The reason she was able to get out of the cult was b/c of her children. Apparently, that is how most women do. It's all about outside connections, people outside of the cult. She cared for her children of course and the members started to control them or tell her how she should raise her children. That is when she snapped or it clicked that hey, they can control me but not my children. She felt a deeper connection with her children and that only she could raise them. That is how she freed herself and it was a struggle b/c the members did not want to let her go.

Anyway, I just wanted to give some FYI from someone who was in a cult, and her view on scientology. :biggrin: