Scarf repair - needs rehemming

Bienchen

H_appy
Dec 11, 2009
I looked to see if this was done before but could not find anything.

I have a vintage scarf which needs some TLC. The hems are unravelling especially at the corners but I really fancy having it re-hemmed (hem no longer plump).

Do H offer this and shall I take it along when I see my SA again? Anyone done this before? Cost?

Should I attempt this myself or ask my MIL?

I looked to see if this was done before but could not find anything.

I have a vintage scarf which needs some TLC. The hems are unravelling especially at the corners but I really fancy having it re-hemmed (hem no longer plump).

Do H offer this and shall I take it along when I see my SA again? Anyone done this before? Cost?

Should I attempt this myself or ask my MIL?

I believe that they offer a re-hemming service, Bienchen, and at one point I thinkg it was $25 (probably more now!)

It might take forever to get it back, but if it's a design you love, I'd go ahead and do it. It's not anything I'd ever tackle myself, but you might consult your MIL. I think it's a fairly specialized skill though, and I know that the seamstresses who hem the scarves even have a title - a rolleteuse (although I probably definitely didn't spell it right!:P)

• Insightful
Reactions: Hermes Zen
It would be great Bienchen to see before and after photo's maybe.

I think if it were me and I really liked the scarf I would take it to H, I would imagine they would send it back to Paris like they do if you want a plisse re-pleated

Thanks, lilyhermes and Ardneish.

I am going to London next weekend (with DD who is all excited to drink her milk on the train!!) and will swing by H and ask about sending it off.

It isn't a great scarf, les Eperons in a pale blue c/w but I like it. I will take photos, so we can have a before and after. I can also let you know how much it costs. It would be good to have it posted to me rather than returned to the shop to avoid more temptation ;)

Thanks, lilyhermes and Ardneish.

I am going to London next weekend (with DD who is all excited to drink her milk on the train!!) and will swing by H and ask about sending it off.

It isn't a great scarf, les Eperons in a pale blue c/w but I like it. I will take photos, so we can have a before and after. I can also let you know how much it costs. It would be good to have it posted to me rather than returned to the shop to avoid more temptation ;)

I'll be curious to hear your findings, Bienchen. And, Les Eperons is a lovely Hermes classic. Well worth it to have it repaired, I think.

lilyhermes, when I said it isn't a great scarf, I meant it isn't in such great condition anymore. It has faded with age and shows that that it has been worn. But I like the design, it is classic but not so busy. And I wear my scarves with pride.

lilyhermes, when I said it isn't a great scarf, I meant it isn't in such great condition anymore. It has faded with age and shows that that it has been worn. But I like the design, it is classic but not so busy. And I wear my scarves with pride.

Well, it's a proud "veteran" then and was well loved - all the more reason to treasure it and give it a second life. And, it's also a design that's very forgiving when tied, and I bet once it is, you probably won't even notice its flaws.

About two inches of the hem fell apart on my brand new grail shawl and I got my mom to repair it for me. I was going to bring it into the store but my mom took a look at it and said it was a piece of cake. I trust her skills as her fingers are so dextile and she used to make gorgeous jackets for my nieces and nephews. Here are the before and after shots. Can you guess which one hem is rolled by Hermes and which is rolled by my mom?? :biggrin:
attachment.php

attachment.php

The answer is........mom fixed the bottom one!

Attachments

• IMG_3891t.jpg
    IMG_3891t.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 688
  • IMG_3968t.jpg
    IMG_3968t.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 679
I sent a 1963 scarf back to Paris via Royal Exchange in London about 18 months ago for a complete rehem. From memory it cost about £25 and took a couple of months. You loose a couple of cm from round the scarf, so if the border or contrast hem is important it may not be such a good idea. Mine did not have a care tag, and came back with a nice new one.

Reactions: Krismsong
About two inches of the hem fell apart on my brand new grail shawl and I got my mom to repair it for me. I was going to bring it into the store but my mom took a look at it and said it was a piece of cake. I trust her skills as her fingers are so dextile and she used to make gorgeous jackets for my nieces and nephews. Here are the before and after shots. Can you guess which one hem is rolled by Hermes and which is rolled by my mom?? :biggrin:
attachment.php

attachment.php

The answer is........mom fixed the bottom one!

She did a lovely job, jenyi. It's not as easy as it looks. I know - I tried it once, and the results did not look like this!

Your mum did a fab job jenyi.

I just fancy having a complete facelift for this scarf, as the hems are flat and if I end up with a new care tag as well, even better. I would have attempted a few inches myself but this is really worthwhile doing all the way round with perfectly rolled edges, so part of the skill will be the rolling not just equal stitching.

Plus if the service works out well, then I can consider rescueing a few wrecks?

Reactions: Krismsong