Scanning Issues

whateve

Authenticator
O.G.
May 10, 2010
It has taken me years to finally get my local carriers to scan my packages upon pickup. Over a year ago, a manager at my post office had made it his mission to make sure carriers scanned. I called him many times when my packages weren't scanned and he followed up with the carriers. In the last year, I got a new carrier who was wonderful and scanned all my packages. She even checks my porch for packages every day even if I haven't set up a pickup because sometimes she doesn't get the notifications in time. The only time my packages weren't scanned were on her days off.

For the last 3 or 4 weeks, none of my packages have been scanned. Today I finally caught up with her and asked why. She said they were instructed not to scan any packages! I believe the reason is related to the delivery estimates. If she doesn't make it back to the post office by 4 pm, the packages miss the truck that goes to the distribution center, and so those packages just sit in the post office for another day. I guess this makes the post office look bad so they feel it is better to act as if those packages weren't picked up until the following day.

The local post office is supposed to scan them before they go to the distribution center but this rarely happens.

I don't think there is a thing I can do about it.

I have a post office that refuses to accept pre-paid flat rate packages, even though it would be the same flat rate price about if I mailed it from my town. They even refused a pre-paid return label from a department store! I’m at the point where I go to the 24 hour automated post office and just dump everything into their secure bin just to avoid the endless hassle and lectures.

And they wonder why they’re losing market share!

I have a post office that refuses to accept pre-paid flat rate packages, even though it would be the same flat rate price about if I mailed it from my town.
I've run in to that before too.

They aren't supposed to refuse ANYTHING but the reason why they might try is because the post office in the city of the sending zip code (i.e., your zip) gets "credit" for the efficient handling of the package and if you've dropped it at another location in another city/state/zip code, they get pissy because they're the ones "handling" it and want the credit.

They aren't supposed to refuse ANYTHING but the reason why they might try is because the post office in the city of the sending zip code (i.e., your zip) gets "credit" for the efficient handling of the package and if you've dropped it at another location in another city/state/zip code, they get pissy because they're the ones "handling" it and want the credit.

I’m sure they’ll be even pissier when the post office closes that location.

Reactions: Luvbolide

I didn't realize that. If I ever have to go to the post office, I always go to the one in a small neighboring town because there is never a line. My local post office won't refuse packages but they won't scan them.

I’m sure they’ll be even pissier when the post office closes that location.
I get that and it's not often that I use a post office that's in another city/state from where I live. But if I'm out shopping and my local post office isn't convenient or if my carrier has already come and gone, I drop it off where it's convenient.

I get that and it's not often that I use a post office that's in another city/state from where I live. But if I'm out shopping and my local post office isn't convenient or if my carrier has already come and gone, I drop it off where it's convenient.
They closed the post office near us to the public. They still use it but there are no public services. The post office that serves my part of town is downtown where there isn't any parking and there are always long lines. If I had to use it regularly, I would stop selling.