Scam alert Poshmark

aerinha

Feb 26, 2012
About a month ago I saw a post here on TPF talking about a Poshmark scam. Ladies, if you shop Posh, please take this story to heart because reading that post (hopefully) saved me and I hope mine will do the same should anyone here need it.

Monday I was notified my bag had shipped. Wednesday night I had an email from Posh saying my item had been delivered (news to me) and I needed to log in to accept it. According to USPS tracking, it was delivered at 1:59 p.m. to my work address where the mail was handed to me directly and there hadn’t been a box. I notified Posh I hadn’t received the item. Their auto response was to check all doors, contact USPS, ask neighbors.

The PO where I work was closed by then so first thing Thursday I called. The carrier insisted he had left my box “on the ledge” even though he handed me the mail. Recalling the story I had read, where as part of the scam, an envelope had been substituted for the box, I asked if it was a box he left. The carrier insisted it was a box and they suggested someone stole it off the ledge aka right out of my hands since they handed me the mail. Finally I told the PO manager that we have security cameras and I was going to have the footage pulled to see if the carrier actually entered with a box or not. Suddenly I had some cooperation. They’d call me back in an hour.

The call came and I knew I was being scammed just like the other poster. Here is the scam and here is what you need to do:

Posh has sellers print out click and ship labels, the scammer alters both addresses on the label and the recipient’s name, leaving the bar code the carrier scans alone. My package was going from NY to Aerinha on 160 Cherry St (not my street) according to USPS tracking, but the label said it was going from TX to “current resident” at 143 Cherry St. Carrier left it at the labeled address, close enough to the real address that GPS shows the scan as valid and the system says delivered. I don’t have my item, but since everything says I do, Posh would have handed my money to the scammer if I hadn’t read the other post.

The original poster found out her altered label was put on an envelope, whoever got the “current resident” envelope tossed it as junk mail and all the evidence would be gone except that poster’s PO gave her a scan of the last image of her item showing it wasn’t a box and the label had been doctored (her scammer did it by hand, mine typed the changes). My PO wasn’t being so cooperative, but I threw out “mail fraud” and “scam”…there is no way to prove the scam w/o the image of the fraudulent label. Finally, they ponied up the image.

I sent the picture to Posh and am waiting for them to respond. They have a 24 hour response window. If they don’t reply or try to wiggle out of my refund, I am calling my CC company.

If you order anything from Posh, Mercari or ebay and it says delivered and you don’t have the item, call your PO asap and make them dig into it!

About a month ago I saw a post here on TPF talking about a Poshmark scam. Ladies, if you shop Posh, please take this story to heart because reading that post (hopefully) saved me and I hope mine will do the same should anyone here need it.

Monday I was notified my bag had shipped. Wednesday night I had an email from Posh saying my item had been delivered (news to me) and I needed to log in to accept it. According to USPS tracking, it was delivered at 1:59 p.m. to my work address where the mail was handed to me directly and there hadn’t been a box. I notified Posh I hadn’t received the item. Their auto response was to check all doors, contact USPS, ask neighbors.

The PO where I work was closed by then so first thing Thursday I called. The carrier insisted he had left my box “on the ledge” even though he handed me the mail. Recalling the story I had read, where as part of the scam, an envelope had been substituted for the box, I asked if it was a box he left. The carrier insisted it was a box and they suggested someone stole it off the ledge aka right out of my hands since they handed me the mail. Finally I told the PO manager that we have security cameras and I was going to have the footage pulled to see if the carrier actually entered with a box or not. Suddenly I had some cooperation. They’d call me back in an hour.

The call came and I knew I was being scammed just like the other poster. Here is the scam and here is what you need to do:

Posh has sellers print out click and ship labels, the scammer alters both addresses on the label and the recipient’s name, leaving the bar code the carrier scans alone. My package was going from NY to Aerinha on 160 Cherry St (not my street) according to USPS tracking, but the label said it was going from TX to “current resident” at 143 Cherry St. Carrier left it at the labeled address, close enough to the real address that GPS shows the scan as valid and the system says delivered. I don’t have my item, but since everything says I do, Posh would have handed my money to the scammer if I hadn’t read the other post.

The original poster found out her altered label was put on an envelope, whoever got the “current resident” envelope tossed it as junk mail and all the evidence would be gone except that poster’s PO gave her a scan of the last image of her item showing it wasn’t a box and the label had been doctored (her scammer did it by hand, mine typed the changes). My PO wasn’t being so cooperative, but I threw out “mail fraud” and “scam”…there is no way to prove the scam w/o the image of the fraudulent label. Finally, they ponied up the image.

I sent the picture to Posh and am waiting for them to respond. They have a 24 hour response window. If they don’t reply or try to wiggle out of my refund, I am calling my CC company.

If you order anything from Posh, Mercari or ebay and it says delivered and you don’t have the item, call your PO asap and make them dig into it!

I can't thank you enough for taking the time to alert all of us at PF. What will criminals think up next?

I am supposed to get a Dooney bag tomorrow that I purchased from ebay. Usually, I tend to buy low cost items (under $100.00), so it is less upsetting if something goes wrong. While I didn't spend a fortune, the handbag was over $200.00 with shipping and I was ever so slightly nervous since it is more than I usually spend. I will be listening for the delivery very closely tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up!

I have to say I am appalled by the lack of help from Posh when mail fraud, a federal crime, was reported. All I got when I sent in the evidence was an auto response saying they strive to respond under 24hours but they have a new email system so be patient. 24 hours came and went and nothing else came from them. This isn’t a purchase gone wrong, it is flat out fraud...and they don’t seem to care.

I sent them a follow up expressing my dissatisfaction with their lack of attention to a crime and said if it didn’t get a personal response I was contacting my CC company tonight.

I took several months away from Posh after getting perfume stinky bags listed as “no odor” I am pretty much done with them now.

Two hours after contacting my CC company Posh suddenly acted. Whether it always would have happened then or not, I don’t know how quick a co is notified of a disputed charge, it seemed kind of cause and effect to me

Two hours after contacting my CC company Posh suddenly acted. Whether it always would have happened then or not, I don’t know how quick a co is notified of a disputed charge, it seemed kind of cause and effect to me

It was a good idea to start the process with the credit card company. They seem to have more influence with merchants than we customers do. A dispute thru a CC company gets noticed and the merchant has to respond...one way or another. All of a sudden, the merchant has to prove their case, so they are now sharing the responsibility to see that this is resolved. This is one of the reasons I prefer CC to debit cards.
Good luck.

It sounds as if everyone who purchases from Poshmark (I have) should go on a temporary or permanent ban. The customers are the ones who have the final say over a company's success; what with us being the consumers.

I am going on a permanent ban of Poshmark. Like hell I'm going to let some lowlife try to scam me and get away with it because Poshmark doesn't care.

I hope everyone that was scammed got their justice. Enough is enough with all of these criminals taking people's hard earned money.

It was a good idea to start the process with the credit card company. They seem to have more influence with merchants than we customers do. A dispute thru a CC company gets noticed and the merchant has to respond...one way or another. All of a sudden, the merchant has to prove their case, so they are now sharing the responsibility to see that this is resolved. This is one of the reasons I prefer CC to debit cards.
Good luck.

The refund went through, I waited to call off Visa until the charge was officially gone.

The refund went through, I waited to call off Visa until the charge was officially gone.
Good news. You'll never know if the Visa inquiry encouraged the prompt refund. But as long as you came out ok, that's the important thing.
And the incident is less likely to be ignored since you got your CC company involved. Maybe PM will do something about sellers involved in scams.

I'm always jumpy with Posh and Mercari. I was almost scammed very badly once and it was only that I paid through PayPal that saved me. PayPal sided with me THANK GOD. The item I bought was a nightmare and I filed an "item not as described" claim

Hi @aerinha ! I hope you don't mind me adding to your thread. Just wanted to share my recent experience with Poshmark. It ended well, but it's just a reminder to not ignore the red flags.
I ordered a red Coach Mini Bennett a few days ago from a new seller on Poshmark. And by "new" I mean I was her first sale, and she only had three other items listed. (Red flag.) She listed the bag as "barely used for only one month", which I can live with, BUT she only posted stock pics, not actual bag pics. (Red flag.) Someone asked her about scratches, marks, etc, and she replied, "no rips, no tears, or stains", which I thought was encouraging. The other person thanked her for her reply, told her she was interested, and asked her to post pics of the bag. The price was so good I didn't wait for the seller to post pics, even though it had been two days since the pics were requested. (Red flag.) So I foolishly jumped on it before the other person did. (I think she was too smart to buy before seeing pictures.) It was supposed to arrive in 1-3 days. Four days later and it still hadn't shipped. Poshmark's rule is if it hasn't shipped by the 7th day the buyer can cancel the sell. I still had three days to wait. Yesterday I got an email from Poshmark saying they canceled the ordered because the item was damaged. I got a subsequent email from Pay Pal letting me know I received a refund for the full amount from Poshmark. (Poshmark won't release the funds to the Seller until three days after confirmation the item was delivered.) I can only guess the seller contacted Poshmark to cancel the sell because she knew the bag wasn't in good condition.
I'm lucky it worked out this way because she could have shipped it and it would have been more of process for a refund and return. I did what I should have done in the beginning and paid more for a NWT red mini Bennett from a high rated seller on ebay. Less than an hour after I paid for the item I received an email with the tracking number. It should be delivered by Friday. I'll post that one in the Non Dooney favorites when it arrives.

Anyway, this was just a reminder to go with your gut. It's not worth saving money if you get a damaged item or you don't get the item. I've ordered several items on ebay, and I've read the horror stories in the Ebay thread. I should have known better. Be careful out there in the Resale world!

Hi @aerinha ! I hope you don't mind me adding to your thread. Just wanted to share my recent experience with Poshmark. It ended well, but it's just a reminder to not ignore the red flags.
I ordered a red Coach Mini Bennett a few days ago from a new seller on Poshmark. And by "new" I mean I was her first sale, and she only had three other items listed. (Red flag.) She listed the bag as "barely used for only one month", which I can live with, BUT she only posted stock pics, not actual bag pics. (Red flag.) Someone asked her about scratches, marks, etc, and she replied, "no rips, no tears, or stains", which I thought was encouraging. The other person thanked her for her reply, told her she was interested, and asked her to post pics of the bag. The price was so good I didn't wait for the seller to post pics, even though it had been two days since the pics were requested. (Red flag.) So I foolishly jumped on it before the other person did. (I think she was too smart to buy before seeing pictures.) It was supposed to arrive in 1-3 days. Four days later and it still hadn't shipped. Poshmark's rule is if it hasn't shipped by the 7th day the buyer can cancel the sell. I still had three days to wait. Yesterday I got an email from Poshmark saying they canceled the ordered because the item was damaged. I got a subsequent email from Pay Pal letting me know I received a refund for the full amount from Poshmark. (Poshmark won't release the funds to the Seller until three days after confirmation the item was delivered.) I can only guess the seller contacted Poshmark to cancel the sell because she knew the bag wasn't in good condition.
I'm lucky it worked out this way because she could have shipped it and it would have been more of process for a refund and return. I did what I should have done in the beginning and paid more for a NWT red mini Bennett from a high rated seller on ebay. Less than an hour after I paid for the item I received an email with the tracking number. It should be delivered by Friday. I'll post that one in the Non Dooney favorites when it arrives.

Anyway, this was just a reminder to go with your gut. It's not worth saving money if you get a damaged item or you don't get the item. I've ordered several items on ebay, and I've read the horror stories in the Ebay thread. I should have known better. Be careful out there in the Resale world!

You provided many good tips. I think it helps to remind myself of how picky I can be about items. I prefer to purchase NWT and see the actual items.

Everyone is so different in their interpretation of good shape. A few times I have made purchases that are listed as gently used or NWOT's and I tend to be disappointed, but leave positive feedback because I took the risk and things are subjective. I read a description recently on eBay stating an item was new, but further along on the description, it stated the item was worn only six or seven times. What? If I wore an item for one hour it is considered used in my book and that is how I would list it for resale.

Thanks for the tips!

You provided many good tips. I think it helps to remind myself of how picky I can be about items. I prefer to purchase NWT and see the actual items.

Everyone is so different in their interpretation of good shape. A few times I have made purchases that are listed as gently used or NWOT's and I tend to be disappointed, but leave positive feedback because I took the risk and things are subjective. I read a description recently on eBay stating an item was new, but further along on the description, it stated the item was worn only six or seven times. What? If I wore an item for one hour it is considered used in my book and that is how I would list it for resale.

Thanks for the tips!
Thanks GA!:smile:
I completely agree with you regarding different opinions of what is considered "good shape". My sister is one of those ladies who will carry a bag until it falls apart. (She actually had a safety pin holding her crossbody strap to her Perlina bag! :faint:) So a few marks or scuffs wouldn't faze her at all. I, on the other hand, stop carrying my bags long before they look like some the bags sellers are listing as like new condition, or NWOT!:lol:

Last edited:
Thanks GA!:smile:
I completely agree with you regarding different opinions of what is considered "good shape". My sister is one of those ladies who will carry a bag until it falls apart. (She actually had a safety pin holding her crossbody strap to her Perlina bag! :faint:) So a few marks or scuffs wouldn't faze her at all. I, on the other hand, stop carrying my bags long before they look like some the bags sellers are listing as like new condition, or NWOT!:lol:
And not only do we all have different 'standards' regarding handbag condition, I think we all have observation levels! Sometimes the longer you own something, the less you see the specific flaws. And some of us are just more 'careful' or 'exacting' or 'picky' when inspecting a handbag. Is it our eyesight? Or just our particular level of sensitivity?
And yes, if a handbag is worn once, it's not new. I guess if you load you stuff into it and walk around the house, you can still call it new. But once you leave the front door.... it's not new it's used.
We all get excited about a 'find' at a great price.... we need to keep reminding ourselves that if it was meant to be, it will be, and we should do the right investigation of bags on the resale market and fully understand return options. We even need to check out brand new handbags being sold by department stores or outlets..... things in this world are not always perfect.

Reactions: RuedeNesle

Oh Rue, so glad it worked out well in the end. Odd that the seller had moment of... conscience? This is exactly why I don't buy anything off Ebay, Poshmark anymore - sadly there's just so many scammers on the resale sites now - but it makes me mad because on the flipside I could get some really good deals from the honest sellers if I wanted to take the time to weed them out. I tend to trust too much and can see myself doing the same as you in this case. Considering what you endured (all the while your gut telling you nooo) I would have been breaking out in a rash, literally.

Reactions: RuedeNesle
Oh Rue, so glad it worked out well in the end. Odd that the seller had moment of... conscience? This is exactly why I don't buy anything off Ebay, Poshmark anymore - sadly there's just so many scammers on the resale sites now - but it makes me mad because on the flipside I could get some really good deals from the honest sellers if I wanted to take the time to weed them out. I tend to trust too much and can see myself doing the same as you in this case. Considering what you endured (all the while your gut telling you nooo) I would have been breaking out in a rash, literally.
Hi LB!
Thanks! I'm lucky it worked out. If she were truly trying to scam me she would have sent the bag. 6 or 7 years ago when I started selling my bags on ebay I knew I had to prove I was a reputable seller. I only sold bags that I felt were in a condition I'd carry them in, and I posted as many pics as allowed with every angle and even the tiniest blemish. I listed my items as "no returns" to get serious buyers, but I always included a Thank You card that thanked them for taking a chance with a new seller and I also said if for any reason they were not happy with the bag they could return it within 7 days for a full refund. I wanted buyers to enjoy their purchases and I needed my ratings to be positive. I had a couple of buyers who bought multiple bags from me. When I saw the Poshmark seller was new I projected those beliefs to her. I felt the first sale would be crucial so she would do all she could to make it a positive experience. But I also have to remember nowadays "New" Sellers could be old sellers who had to reinvent themselves because they were banned for deceptive practices or their ratings were so low they decided to start over.
My weakness are red bags, and sometimes I have to go to the resale market to get a bag in red. But I can't be so blinded by the color and wanting the bag so much (and trying to save money!) that I forget to be cautious.