San Francisco girls- what to wear now?

GemsBerry

O.G.
Nov 10, 2011
Hi,
I need a fashion advise, I'm going on vacation to San Francisco in one week and I don't know what to bring with me. Here in DC metro it's pretty hot now (85), but in San Francisco weather is different. Also those hills:smile:
So do I need to bring leather jacket (if it's windy)? Do you wear flats or sandals now? and should my shoes be pretty comfy because I will have to walk a lot uphill and downhill doing all the tourist stuff?
Any information will be highly appreciated.

People tend to wear flats here. You rarely see heels unless it's booties. Sneakers are making a come back. But flats or sandals are fine. If you're gonna walk a lot though, prioritize comfort. Where will you be though? Sometimes you can avoid the hills.

Definitely have a light jacket, maybe a light sweater/cardigan for layering. Depending on where you are, the fog comes in and chills everything a bit. It's around 55 during the night, so jackets are good for then too. It never really actually gets super cold, but if you're coming from 80 degree weather, maybe it'll feel that way. The days have hovered around mid 60s this week, but weather's really changeable here in the summer. Sometimes it's 60 and really windy and a bit chilly, sometimes it's in the 70s.

Just check the weather.com ten day forecast right before you come to make sure nothing extreme is forecasted. Probably won't rain!

People tend to wear flats here. You rarely see heels unless it's booties. Sneakers are making a come back. But flats or sandals are fine. If you're gonna walk a lot though, prioritize comfort. Where will you be though? Sometimes you can avoid the hills.

Definitely have a light jacket, maybe a light sweater/cardigan for layering. Depending on where you are, the fog comes in and chills everything a bit. It's around 55 during the night, so jackets are good for then too. It never really actually gets super cold, but if you're coming from 80 degree weather, maybe it'll feel that way. The days have hovered around mid 60s this week, but weather's really changeable here in the summer. Sometimes it's 60 and really windy and a bit chilly, sometimes it's in the 70s.

Just check the weather.com ten day forecast right before you come to make sure nothing extreme is forecasted. Probably won't rain!

Beggarbaby, thank you, very precious information!
we'll be staying in Union Square, but will move everywhere for sightseeing and seafood :smile:
I didn't know about fog. I'm easy to feel cold, when my DH wears short sleeve short, I barely make it in a light jacket. Last time we went to Santa Monica/LA, I brought only tees and ended up ordering a jacket from Zappos overnight. This time I'll bring jacket and a couple of sweaters, thank you for advise.

Would also recommend to bring one scarf. It really helps when the fog is rolling in from the Golden Gate around 3-4 p.m. It will keep you warm. Plus your cable car ride will be more enjoyable. Usually the wind dies down after 6 or 7 p.m. but you just never know.
If you plan to go to Napa, East Bay or Silicon Valley enjoy the 80 plus degree weather.

Lately it's 50s-60s. Everywhere else it hot this weekend though! You must bring a jacket to wear at night. Basically you can wear wool 70% of the time in SF haha

Thank you Pinknyanko. I'll bring a couple of cashmere sweaters, they are as good as wool, yet they don't take much space in luggage.

Would also recommend to bring one scarf. It really helps when the fog is rolling in from the Golden Gate around 3-4 p.m. It will keep you warm. Plus your cable car ride will be more enjoyable. Usually the wind dies down after 6 or 7 p.m. but you just never know.
If you plan to go to Napa, East Bay or Silicon Valley enjoy the 80 plus degree weather.

Thank you Cyyan, it's excellent idea to bring one scarf, I can carry it in the bag in daytime and wear at night. Now I need to think of color combinations :smile:

Thank you Cyyan, it's excellent idea to bring one scarf, I can carry it in the bag in daytime and wear at night. Now I need to think of color combinations :smile:

Bring a light weight scarf. That should be enough. And just an FYI people in SF tend to wear a lot of black and dark colors. Just in case you want to fit in. :smile:

Bring a light weight scarf. That should be enough. And just an FYI people in SF tend to wear a lot of black and dark colors. Just in case you want to fit in. :smile:

oh, interesting, I didn't know :smile: I definitely don't want to look like "what were they thinking" with my pink Gucci bag and white patterned jeans. black makes it easier, it matches everything.

Just echoing what everyone else is saying. Remember what Mark Twain once said -- the coldest winter he ever spent was a summer in San Francisco. Definitely bring a jacket, and a sweater, and perhaps a lightweight scarf. It will be warmer during the day but as soon as it hits 5 or 6 o'clock and the sun goes down, so does the temperature. If you're by the water it will be even colder. You will want to wear long pants at night and probably closed toe shoes as sandals will probably be too cold.

The dress code is pretty casual here. You won't see very many people dressed up unless you're in the Financial District during the work week. Lots of banks and law firms. People tend to wear muted colors (black, white, brown, grey) when the weather is chilly.

Just echoing what everyone else is saying. Remember what Mark Twain once said -- the coldest winter he ever spent was a summer in San Francisco. Definitely bring a jacket, and a sweater, and perhaps a lightweight scarf. It will be warmer during the day but as soon as it hits 5 or 6 o'clock and the sun goes down, so does the temperature. If you're by the water it will be even colder. You will want to wear long pants at night and probably closed toe shoes as sandals will probably be too cold.

The dress code is pretty casual here. You won't see very many people dressed up unless you're in the Financial District during the work week. Lots of banks and law firms. People tend to wear muted colors (black, white, brown, grey) when the weather is chilly.

Thank you, I'll definitely bring more flats than sandals. And colorwise I'll stick to dark blue, grey/khaki, black and eggplant (I can't go without something mauve-ish/purplish-ish).:smile:

I think I'm like you; I get cold very easily! I was at Crissy field on Friday for the fourth of July (right by the Golden Gate Bridge) and wore a sweater and North Face the entire time. It's cold here! Especially at night, and especially in certain neighborhoods (anywhere by the water, really). Bring a jacket and sweaters, and layer up at night. I wear boots or booties in the summer. Like other people said, it's super casual here; you can wear jeans or leggings everywhere. But definitely bring a summer dress for wine tasting in Napa/Sonoma! It's much warmer and sunnier there!

Have fun!!

I think I'm like you; I get cold very easily! I was at Crissy field on Friday for the fourth of July (right by the Golden Gate Bridge) and wore a sweater and North Face the entire time. It's cold here! Especially at night, and especially in certain neighborhoods (anywhere by the water, really). Bring a jacket and sweaters, and layer up at night. I wear boots or booties in the summer. Like other people said, it's super casual here; you can wear jeans or leggings everywhere. But definitely bring a summer dress for wine tasting in Napa/Sonoma! It's much warmer and sunnier there!

Have fun!!

Thank you dear! we'll drive around, hopefully will go to Napa.
* off to check out which booties I have and if I can squeeze them in luggage* :smile: