Food San Francisco Girls, advice on restaurants!

Rockerchic

O.G.
Jun 9, 2006
Hi ladies, I'd love your advice on restaurants from the local's pov. I'm going to SF in a couple of weeks with dh and another couple. We are all foodies and in to wine (heading to nappa after SF).
would love your recos on restaurant...any hidden treasure? We will be staying at the four seasons while we are in town.
We love any type of food....also love tasting menus...
Thanks in advance!

Hi ladies, I'd love your advice on restaurants from the local's pov. I'm going to SF in a couple of weeks with dh and another couple. We are all foodies and in to wine (heading to nappa after SF).
would love your recos on restaurant...any hidden treasure? We will be staying at the four seasons while we are in town.
We love any type of food....also love tasting menus...
Thanks in advance!

Mods, can this be moved the voyage and this one closed? I think I may be more successful there but when tried to move it, it was moved back because I can't close this thanks!

I'm not a local, but recently had an amazing lunch at Redd in Yountville. I would have loved to go back for dinner if I had more time. If all of you have the tasting menu, they try to vary the dishes each person gets, so you can taste each others and try more things. I love that idea.

In San Francisco, Gary Danko is excellent. I haven't been in years, but it still stands out for me as a top meal with great service

if you're in the mood to shop, i'd go to the rotunda @ neiman marcus on union square. i only get their lobster club sandwich. everything is over priced there, but the sandwich is so good! it's like 30 bucks but they pack on a lot of lobster meat on there... so i guess it's pretty worth it. i LOVE their complimentary popover w/ strawberry butter they serve.... mmmm

*foodie type places -
French Laundry in the Napa area, if you can get a table. They have last minute cancellations sometimes.
I've heard good things about Lazy Bear in SF (pop up style restaurant) but you have to to request reservations and when there is one available, they will contact you.

If you're in the South Bay and into steak, I would recommend Alexanders Steakhouse.

I sent this to a friend visiting SF. I lived there for many years. SF ladies, please comment if any are closed/gone.

Plouf or B44 on Belden Place: Two of my absolute favorites in SF!! Belden Place is a cute little alley in the financial district that’s decorated with lights and outdoor tables (with heat lamps, c’mon you’re in CA!) Plouf: French, known for mussels. My mouth is watering at the thought of it! B44: Catalan. Great wine too and people watching.

Kokkari Estiatorio: Financial district toward the Embarcadero. Delicious Greek with open rotisserie, fireplace. Great food & atmosphere.

Mamacita: Great Mexican and yummy margs in the Marina. People watching for sure!

Delfina/Pizzeria Delfina: Fresh Italian, not really traditional. The pizza is awesome too! In the Mission.

Zuni Café: Civic Center near Hayes Valley. Yummy, California cuisine comfort food. Grab a drink first at the zinc bar. Near the theaters/symphony, so it’s crowded before showtimes.

Suppenkuche: German food and beer in Hayes Valley. Casual/simple atmosphere. It’s right around Oktoberfest so could be a fun time, especially for a group!

Andalu: Tapas in the Mission.

ICHI Sushi: TEENY TINY in the Mission. No rezzies, gotta go early and wait in line but it’s totally worth it! If you can’t get in there, go to Ebisu in the Inner Sunset near UCSF or Ace Wasabi in the Marina.

Bar Tartine: Hip place in the Mission. Unique combinations.

AsiaSF: It’s an SF institution. Come for the fun, not for the food. SOMA.

Check out for lunch if you can:

Swan Oyster Depot: Tiny, casual place, only lunch on Polk St. in lower Nob Hill. Fresh fish, Dungeness crab served at a counter. Ah-MAY-Zing. Dungeness is in season in late October/early November but there will be other goodies if you go earlier.

La Taqueria: In the Mission. Probably the best burritos in SF.

Places in the Ferry Building: Foot of Market in the Financial District. Take time to browse around the shops and cafes. Faves: Cowgirl Creamery for cheeses, Blue Bottle Coffee, Hog Island Oyster Company.

Straits in the Westfield Shopping Center on Market in the Financial District. Singaporean and SE Asian.

Spendy:
Gary Danko: One of the top if not the top restaurant in SF. Call way ahead for reservations. Ridiculously good food, service, atmosphere. Over near Fisherman’s Wharf.

Michael Mina: Celebrity chef. In the Financial District. Top notch.

Cool places for drinks:
Smuggler’s Cove: Ahoy mateys meets tropical Tiki bar! Low lighting, fun place. Around Hayes Valley. Island/Cuban drinks. Lots of rum options.

Tunnel Top: Dive bar meets hipsters. On Bush at the top of the Stockton tunnel going to Union Square, Financial District. Cash only!

Terroir Natural Wine Merchant: SOMA. Great wine bar

Hidden Vine: Financial district. Great wine bar

For fabulous Napa dining options, there are so many too!

Favorites are Auberge du Soliel in Rutherford, French Laundry (3 month advance for reservations but it's so worth the wait!) and Ad Hoc in Yountville, Cindy's Backstreet Kitchen, CIA/Graystone and The Restaurant at Meadowood, all in St. Helena. I heard Martini House in St. Helena just closed but I hope I'm wrong, it's another fabulous place.

For wine tasting, check out the wineries in the Spring Mountain district, just west/NW of St. Helena. http://springmountaindistrict.org/ Most are small and require appointments but the experience and wines are heads and shoulders above the bus-stops you'll find right on Rte 29. My favorites are Barnett, Pride, Terra Valentine but you really can't go wrong with any.

Have fun!

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]