Same bidder, consecutive bids?

May 18, 2006
What does it mean when an item has a starting bid point, lets say $100, and the first bid is $102.......then another bid of $104, same bidder?
I find this so strange and appreciate you ebay experts sharing your thoughts on this please. Thanks.

What does it mean when an item has a starting bid point, lets say $100, and the first bid is $102.......then another bid of $104, same bidder?
I find this so strange and appreciate you ebay experts sharing your thoughts on this please. Thanks.

Sometimes you want to up your max bid and then you put in asecond bid.

i have seen this alot on auctions - by new bidders on ebay. i think they enter one price and then think about it a little more and go back sometimes two or three times in a row with higher bids trying to win.

Are these actual bids or proxy bids?

Proxy bidding is when the bidder puts in a high bid which only shows as a lower bid at the start price (or next increment if there are other bids). Each time a new bid is placed, the other bidder's proxy takes precedence.

Are these actual bids or proxy bids?

Proxy bidding is when the bidder puts in a high bid which only shows as a lower bid at the start price (or next increment if there are other bids). Each time a new bid is placed, the other bidder's proxy takes precedence.
I don't know if they were proxy, both are by same bidder, two days in a row with no other action in between. I made a bid after and nothing has been bid since. If they had an automatic bid with a max is higher. Than mine actual, would an automatic bid have been made then?

It sounds like proxy bidding, where she placed a higher bid than the minimum. If opening bid amount was $100, her first bid will post as $100 and remains there until another bidder bids. If you subsequently placed a $102 bid, you'd get an "outbid" notice and the next bid increment will be $103. Then if you try to bid $103, this will continue until you overbid her max.

To see if this is what's happening, click on the "bids" and click "Show automatic bids."

The following screeenshots are showing the bidding history for the same listing. As shown in the screenshots below, the first picture shows actual bids. The second picture shows "automatic bids." The grayed out bids are proxy bids, placed automatically when a prior bidder's higher proxy bid outbids a new bid.

ACTUAL BIDS
actualbids_zps7d92bd8b.png

INCLUDES PROXY BIDS
allhistoryinclautoproxybids_zpsfa0562d8.png

Maybe that first bidder did not want the item and is hoping 2nd bidder will want it.

See, if the auction started at $100. Person bid 2 times. First for $100, and then $110. Other person may see the auction had 2 bids from the same bidder. Hey, why not bid $102 and kind of jack up the price? Or maybe they are hoping 2nd bidder will bid $115, then the first bidder does not have to buy it.

It sounds like proxy bidding, where she placed a higher bid than the minimum. If opening bid amount was $100, her first bid will post as $100 and remains there until another bidder bids. If you subsequently placed a $102 bid, you'd get an "outbid" notice and the next bid increment will be $103. Then if you try to bid $103, this will continue until you overbid her max.

To see if this is what's happening, click on the "bids" and click "Show automatic bids."

The following screeenshots are showing the bidding history for the same listing. As shown in the screenshots below, the first picture shows actual bids. The second picture shows "automatic bids." The grayed out bids are proxy bids, placed automatically when a prior bidder's higher proxy bid outbids a new bid.

ACTUAL BIDS
actualbids_zps7d92bd8b.png

INCLUDES PROXY BIDS
allhistoryinclautoproxybids_zpsfa0562d8.png
Thanks for this explanation it really help!!

If someone comes to bid consecutive and no one is actually compete with her, that will make me really suspicious about honesty of seller because I just saw the limited edition Rose Neverfull, there were 47 bidding and stay on the$850, the price is low for the bag and time almost ending, suddenly in the next 10min, you saw the same bidder bidding up to 7 times to make bidding price very high, why this bidder need to do that, don't you want to have lower price instead od higher price, it makes me wonder who is the bidder, why the bidder want to do this, first answer came across to my mind is seller asked friend to help bid up the price. and I saw this situation on many bidding.

Is it the bidder with 84 feedbacks?

I didn't see the listing earlier, but it doesn't appear to be shill bidding. Again, without having seen the listing prior to the current bid, I'm guessing that it was a listing with a reserve and the bidder was bidding in small increments trying to meet the reserve.