Sale season: buy now or wait?

dazzlythings

May 22, 2020
Hi everyone, first-time poster here! What an amazing community I’ve been loving from afar :smile:

I’m noticing lots of sales going on right now at Saks, NM, and Nordstrom, and wondered if anyone has any insight on how these sales work. Are items typically added to these types of sales? There’s a pair of SS Aquazzura pumps I absolutely adore, and even though they aren’t on sale, some of the sizes are already sold out. From your experience, is it better to hold out for a sale (I think this year, in particular, sales should ultimately happen?!), or buy now before they sell out? Or is this the million-dollar question? :smile: From a newbie, thank you so much for any information!!!!

I think it always depends how much you want something. If it's a limited item (not a classic or common item they will have all the time), you really want it, to the point you are always thinking about it, you can afford it, and its current price is worth it to you, just get it. Not worth taking the chance of waiting and missing out, or buying something that's a little cheaper but you don't love as much. Now if you just kind of like it or aren't sure about the price, just wait if it's not a must have. If it's meant to be you'll get it later (maybe for a better deal) or you'll find something else to love.

I think it always depends how much you want something. If it's a limited item (not a classic or common item they will have all the time), you really want it, to the point you are always thinking about it, you can afford it, and its current price is worth it to you, just get it. Not worth taking the chance of waiting and missing out, or buying something that's a little cheaper but you don't love as much. Now if you just kind of like it or aren't sure about the price, just wait if it's not a must have. If it's meant to be you'll get it later (maybe for a better deal) or you'll find something else to love.

Love this, DreamingBeauty. Thank you!!!

Reactions: DreamingBeauty
Before the last few months, I did most of my shopping in-person at boutiques and shops and if they had a random sale, I thought, oh, that’s nice! (Though the things I love typically weren’t on sale in those instances, haha). But now that I’ve had to switch to online shopping, and I get the alerts about the items I purchased months ago in person now being on sale, I’ve wondered if I’ve been less-than-savvy this whole time and instead of buying that thing I love RIGHT NOW (like usual) maybe the whole SS shebang does go on sale with a little patience? Have I been missing out on some serious intel? haha... thanks again for your input!

Before the last few months, I did most of my shopping in-person at boutiques and shops and if they had a random sale, I thought, oh, that’s nice! (Though the things I love typically weren’t on sale in those instances, haha). But now that I’ve had to switch to online shopping, and I get the alerts about the items I purchased months ago in person now being on sale, I’ve wondered if I’ve been less-than-savvy this whole time and instead of buying that thing I love RIGHT NOW (like usual) maybe the whole SS shebang does go on sale with a little patience? Have I been missing out on some serious intel? haha... thanks again for your input!

For me it depends because if it’s a local manufacturer I might want to support them by buying full price.

On the flip side a lot of the premier brands have bi-annual sales with huge discounts, which makes one upset about overpaying.

There’s also another issue for obscure brands that if everyone waits for discounts, the retailer might decide to drop the brand thinking that their purchasing budget would be better invested into a higher margin brand.

I agree with Christofle. I might support the company by buying full price. Since you mentioned that there are sizes that are already sold out, then that would mean it is really a hot item. If you wait for the pumps to go on sale, you might not be able to see them when that time comes. :smile:;):tup:

Reactions: dazzlythings
I agree with Christofle. I might support the company by buying full price. Since you mentioned that there are sizes that are already sold out, then that would mean it is really a hot item. If you wait for the pumps to go on sale, you might not be able to see them when that time comes. :smile:;):tup:
Thank you so much!! I did go ahead and purchase the pumps, and it made me (doubly!) happy to support the company in the process :heart: I appreciate your input!

Reactions: joyce150
Just saw an item I previously purchased from Bloomingdale's the price went up and then they have friends and family discount with 30% off which is still more expensive than when I purchased the item. I repurchased the item through customer service who priced matched what I originally paid for the item.