Saks SA just told me they will not be getting in any more Baleniciaga

hmmm... same happened with Bottega Veneta. some Saks stores stopped carrying BV. i wonder if this is just Saks reorg, getting rid of brands that do not sell well at certain stores -- or if this is fallout from that crazy 80% off sale they did a couple of years ago?

I've found that Saks is really cutting back on what they carry.
In Dallas, at their big Galleria mall, they don't carry Christian
Louboutin shoes. I think Saks is having a very difficult time
these days. So sad as their flagship store in NYC is simply
fabulous.

I had heard last year before the '09 F/W collection came out, that Balenciaga indicated to all stores that carried their merchandise, that all "outstanding" invoices for all merchandise controlled by the Gucci Group (of which Balenciaga is under) had to be PAID-IN-FULL before they would ship any new items.

A few friends who work retail (buying offices) told me how it works ... apparently, the large stores would oftentimes
float loans to pay for the merchandise. However, the credit crunch has wreaked havoc on this ... given that the banks are just not loaning $$$ like before and more strict guidelines. This has killed the stores' buying power ... and I think we are just seeing the beginning of declining merchandise in stores, especially when the store has to pay ALL invoices for ALL merchandise for a particular Fashion House (Gucci Group owns Balenciaga, Stella McCartney, Bottega Veneta, Alexander McQueen, YSL, etc.)!!!

I was passing through Saks Fifth in Hackensack, NJ and overheard two SAs talking about their recent lay-offs and that it won't be their last. Things are really looking glum for them.

I had heard last year before the '09 F/W collection came out, that Balenciaga indicated to all stores that carried their merchandise, that all "outstanding" invoices for all merchandise controlled by the Gucci Group (of which Balenciaga is under) had to be PAID-IN-FULL before they would ship any new items.

A few friends who work retail (buying offices) told me how it works ... apparently, the large stores would oftentimes
float loans to pay for the merchandise. However, the credit crunch has wreaked havoc on this ... given that the banks are just not loaning $$$ like before and more strict guidelines. This has killed the stores' buying power ... and I think we are just seeing the beginning of declining merchandise in stores, especially when the store has to pay ALL invoices for ALL merchandise for a particular Fashion House (Gucci Group owns Balenciaga, Stella McCartney, Bottega Veneta, Alexander McQueen, YSL, etc.)!!!

This is the most reasonable explanation because when I was in Saks Nola, the SA said that last year they stopped carrying Bottega and this year they were no longer carrying Bal, just selling their inventory on hand. SA said it was crazy because in her opinion it did not make any sense. Bottega's sold well and she said Balenciagas flew off the shelves! I should add there were very few YSL. I can't recall what or how many of Gucci they had, if any at all. They do have a Chanel and LV store within their store. They had lots in their respective inventory.

Last edited: