Saint Laurent Sunset Medium or Sunset Wallet w/Top Handle?

anastasiya26

Dec 27, 2021
I'm smitten with these two black croc Sunset styles and haven't had a chance to compare them in person yet. Has anyone tried one or both and can help share your experience? I'm also curious if the wallet style can be double strapped to wear shorter on the shoulder, or only with the long chain strap. I'm in love with how the silver hardware pairs with the black croc, but unfortunately I already have a cool toned silver hardware black bag and am in need of a gold one to match my gold toned belts and shoes.

These are the styles:

Thank you!

I'm smitten with these two black croc Sunset styles and haven't had a chance to compare them in person yet. Has anyone tried one or both and can help share your experience? I'm also curious if the wallet style can be double strapped to wear shorter on the shoulder, or only with the long chain strap. I'm in love with how the silver hardware pairs with the black croc, but unfortunately I already have a cool toned silver hardware black bag and am in need of a gold one to match my gold toned belts and shoes.

These are the styles:

Thank you!

I think you could double the chain of the Wallet . Smart look with hand-held though. Slightly smaller all round and noticeably less deep. Good for evening but I would personally struggle for daytime.

I like the look of the gold chain on the Med Sunset. The chain is just - better. You can double the chain from one moment to the next.

If you really want the Med Sunset but think the other is more cost effective, it might be tempting, but the Med Sunset is a sexier and more substantial bag IMO.

P.S It upset me looking at the picture of the Med Sunset, coz I could never get my hands on that cropped jacket the model is wearing in my size

I think you could double the chain of the Wallet . Smart look with hand-held though. Slightly smaller all round and noticeably less deep. Good for evening but I would personally struggle for daytime.

I like the look of the gold chain on the Med Sunset. The chain is just - better. You can double the chain from one moment to the next.

If you really want the Med Sunset but think the other is more cost effective, it might be tempting, but the Med Sunset is a sexier and more substantial bag IMO.

P.S It upset me looking at the picture of the Med Sunset, coz I could never get my hands on that cropped jacket the model is wearing in my size
Thank you for the thoughtful reply! Now I'm even more torn! The cost is less of a factor since it would be a splurge either way. I have a feeling that I'd wear the wallet much more because it's light and effortless for evening (assuming the strap is practical and I can be hands free most of the night. Though I like the look of hand-held, I'd probably only do that for photos or walking into places, and resort to the strap the majority of the time). I have the Gucci Dionysus and I adore it, but it's so heavy and bulky that I rarely reach for it on nights that I want to feel a bit more unburdened and carefree. The Sunset Medium silhouette reminds me of the Dionysus too, so I feel like the Wallet adds something a little different to my collection - but then I'm with you that the gold chain on the Medium just looks so much more luxe and substantial and beautiful.

But then again, the Wallet chain drapes beautifully when the bag is hand-held. Impossible decisions!

Last edited:
I vote for the WOC. It offers more versatility bc you can tuck the chain in altogether and use top handle, which I think is cute and have not seen in other WOC style bags before. The size difference between the 2 seems negligible (about 1/2 inch in both height and width, slightly less in depth. If primary use is for night out with minimal possessions to be carried, it will suffice and personally, I'm not seeing why the other is worth $700 more. Just my 2 cents ;)

Thank you for the thoughtful reply! Now I'm even more torn! The cost is less of a factor since it would be a splurge either way. I have a feeling that I'd wear the wallet much more because it's light and effortless for evening (assuming the strap is practical and I can be hands free most of the night. Though I like the look of hand-held, I'd probably only do that for photos or walking into places, and resort to the strap the majority of the time). I have the Gucci Dionysus and I adore it, but it's so heavy and bulky that I rarely reach for it on nights that I want to feel a bit more unburdened and carefree. The Sunset Medium silhouette reminds me of the Dionysus too, so I feel like the Wallet adds something a little different to my collection - but then I'm with you that the gold chain on the Medium just looks so much more luxe and substantial and beautiful.

But then again, the Wallet chain drapes beautifully when the bag is hand-held. Impossible decisions!

Agreed with the limitations of the Dionysus. Larger bag with chains do feel heavy.

I think the WOC sounds better for you then.

Reactions: anastasiya26
I'd go for the Medium over the WOC.

1) YSL bags tend to run small. Just make sure you can fit in all your things. I have the grain de poudre envelope and it's a size medium but it definitely looks more like a small than a medium.
2) YSL bags with grained leather or embossed leather (like croc) are very structured and will not really stretch over time or have much give. It's great for preserving the shape of the bag, but does limit the space as well.
3) Personal opinion, WOCs never work out for me, and I basically only carry: phone, card holder, 6-ring key holder with car fob.

Regardless of whichever one you end up with, if you haven't done so yet, go in and try on to make sure the strap length works for your height, how the bag sits against your frame, and put your items in to make sure they fit!
Good luck! :tup:

These are the styles:

Thank you!
wow. Either? So beautiful

The medium while can hold more, is also quite heavy due to the structured leather, compartments, and heavy weight of the chain.

The WOC would be great for evenings, but depending on your needs - you'll have to limit what you can fit there.

I own the mix of the two - the top handle medium Sunset bag which weighs less as the strap is removable and has a leather part instead of being full metal. It fits more than the original medium Sunset bag because it has one less compartment. Though if I'm honest, I wish I had gone for the original medium because it really does look better double strapped on the shoulder and it's slightly smaller.