Saffiano vs. Cross grain

There IS a difference.

The taxi totes are made of crossgrain, and now almost all of the new, spring Crosbys (with maybe the exception of the white?) are made of crossgrain as well.

My SA asked my mom and I what we thought of the new spring bags, and we were in agreement that there was an overabundance of crossgrain. It's a different type of leather entirely from saffiano. Saffiano is stiffer, that's for sure - but in a nice way. It's hard to explain...

The crossgrain is made of some cross-hatching type of process that you can see visibly, as opposed to saffiano. Crossgrain feels a bit more slippery to the touch and is much more pliable. It's great for the taxi totes, but overall I do not think it looks as nice in the more structured bags.

Both are easy to clean, though, but I think saffiano is overall a more expensive, nicer type of leather.

Hope this helps! :smile:

Same idea, different pattern stamped into the leather. Saffiano has more of a cross hatch pattern, and crossgrain is more like a pebbled texture. Both are highly processed, but my saffiano and crossgrain pieces still look like new even after the very, very bad things I have done to them. Leather thickness varries more by production line than the stamped pattern, ime. If you need endurance, you can't go wrong with them. Luxury? Not so much.

Thanks, ladies! Good information. I don't live near any Coach stores (and my department stores stink) so I rely mostly on photographs which aren't very helpful when it comes to these details.

I personally prefer embossed over saffiano only because I have found embossed are less likely to crease and stay creased, whereas saffiano will crease and leave a mark <_<

Does anyone know when Coach started using saffiano? I'm wondering how it does over the years.
the first time I saw it was last year. My Saffiano tote survived a long trip and still looks new. Premium designers have been using it for years. You could check on the Prada forum for questions on how it works long term.

There IS a difference.

The taxi totes are made of crossgrain, and now almost all of the new, spring Crosbys (with maybe the exception of the white?) are made of crossgrain as well.

My SA asked my mom and I what we thought of the new spring bags, and we were in agreement that there was an overabundance of crossgrain. It's a different type of leather entirely from saffiano. Saffiano is stiffer, that's for sure - but in a nice way. It's hard to explain...

The crossgrain is made of some cross-hatching type of process that you can see visibly, as opposed to saffiano. Crossgrain feels a bit more slippery to the touch and is much more pliable. It's great for the taxi totes, but overall I do not think it looks as nice in the more structured bags.

Both are easy to clean, though, but I think saffiano is overall a more expensive, nicer type of leather.

Hope this helps! :smile:

Totally agree with this. Do not like crossgrain IMO feels too thin. I love the gingham saffiano totes from last year as a fun bag to use in the spring and summer instead of a leather bag.

Saffiano is not an expensive leather. In fact those stamped on patterns hide any inferior quality leather used. As another mentioned luxurious bags will not be made to this texture. They're durable against daily wear but by no means translate to high quality material. Such as nylon is a durable material, compared to cashmere, but it's not high quality.

The leather of my FP crossgrain hangtag wristlet feels almost as thick as my pebbled mini Borough. If all you are feeling of crossgrain is thin MFF leather, you need to feel more, imvho. Ime, thickness is more of a result of a production line, rather than the pattern stamped into the leather. Ymmv. :smile:

Last edited:
Saffiano is not an expensive leather. In fact those stamped on patterns hide any inferior quality leather used. As another mentioned luxurious bags will not be made to this texture. They're durable against daily wear but by no means translate to high quality material. Such as nylon is a durable material, compared to cashmere, but it's not high quality.

Yes, my Coach Saffiano bag was in fact not expensive (don't know about Prada) but I think with just a touch of gold hardware and hand painted effect, they look to be good quality bags which is to Coach's credit. It's a mystery about what kind of leather is underneath but they do feel pretty solid and durable as you noted. I sure like that I don't need to worry about ruining the leather with spills or sunscreen on these bags.:sunshine:

Yes, my Coach Saffiano bag was in fact not expensive (don't know about Prada) but I think with just a touch of gold hardware and hand painted effect, they look to be good quality bags which is to Coach's credit. It's a mystery about what kind of leather is underneath but they do feel pretty solid and durable as you noted. I sure like that I don't need to worry about ruining the leather with spills or sunscreen on these bags.:sunshine:

That's also my reason when choosing saffiano. &#128077;

While I agree a beautiful soft leather might be more special, Prada is well know for their saffiano bags and they are certainly a luxury brand (even tho some may think their quality isn't what it used to be)

While I agree a beautiful soft leather might be more special, Prada is well know for their saffiano bags and they are certainly a luxury brand (even tho some may think their quality isn't what it used to be)

I have been noticing saffiano for a year now in all luxury and non luxury lines. It is supposed to be durable and retains shape. I however think it feels too plasticky. I prefer pebbled leather to Saffiano.