Sad Hermes Experience - Any Advice/Input Welcome!

ElegantRascal

May 22, 2015
Hi! I just had such a sad experience and I was hoping some of you might be able to offer some advice or encouragement.

I’ve been a steady and loyal customer at my local Hermes shop for a few years now, and this time last year I asked my SA to look out for my first ever Kelly, which would be my present for graduating university (last summer) whilst dealing with a horrible chronic illness and other difficult things. I was really specific about exactly what I wanted, and he said the store was expecting exactly my perfect bag and that he’d managed to reserve it for me. A Kelly 32cm in Bleu Nuit Togo leather with palladium hardware.

So a year later, the Monday before this, I finally got the email that my bag had come in. I was so excited, but I was staying in the country (I’d have to get the train into the city to get it) and couldn’t go immediately. And then I got ill and had to delay going. So I arranged to see my SA on Friday, yesterday, to pick it up.
I was still feeling pretty ill, hadn’t slept, had to travel into the city on a really really hot day, and had some stressful chores to do before going to Hermes. Plus I had to catch the last train back in the afternoon so had to be quick and efficient. So I was quite stressed and really worn out by the time I got to Hermes. But so so so excited to see my dream bag, my first Kelly!

I got there and asked for my SA, and was told he wasn’t there that day. I showed them the emails in which he said he would be there. After about twenty minutes of investigation it turned out he’d called in sick in the morning and I hadn’t been told. I was so sad - he is so lovely and he was the person I’d always worked with, and he’d been so kind to get me my perfect bag. I really wanted him to be the one who showed it to me and whom I bought it from. I wish he or someone had let me know he wouldn’t be there.
But I only had two days left till it was no longer reserved for me (the store only keeps a bag for you for two weeks maximum) and I wouldn’t be able to come back to the city in that time, so I had to ask if I could have it even without my SA being there. There was a queue to see the leather department SAs, and so I had to sit and wait for another half hour or more. Which was really stressful, as I’d made an appointment to see my SA at a certain time so I could be sure to catch my train, and it seemed like now I would be too late.

It was already just feeling a bit sad. Not to have my lovely SA there, to have to buy it from someone I didn’t know, and the worry about catching my train.
Then a nice lady came and said she could help me. I told her who I was and that I had a bag waiting for me and she went to get it. I felt quite excited again as we went behind a special curtain and the big box was opened for me.
And then I saw the gold hardware. I know lots of people don’t mind about PHW vs. GHW, but I really do mind. I had always said to my SA that I only wanted PHW, when I asked for the bag in the first place I asked for PHW, when he said it was reserved for me I checked that it was PHW, when it came into the store I checked again (twice!) that it was exactly what I’d asked for. And it said GHW on the box and everything, it wasn’t a mix up.

I know it's just a handbag but I hope some people here might understand how sad I was (and am). I’ve been having a really tough time the last few years with chronic illness, deaths in the family, trying to get through university and various other horrible and difficult things. And this was the prize I’d worked for, the good thing I’d been looking forward to. And I’d waited a year and been so excited for it.
I managed not to cry (though I kind of wish now that I had, so they’d seen how upset I was) and the lady who was helping me was so apologetic. She said it was the first time this had ever happened (just my luck…). I just don’t know what to do now though. I think my SA said it was the last Bleu Nuit bag the store was expecting to receive.

Do you think there’s any chance they might be able to get one for me now? Do you think I can ask them to try and get me the bag they told me I would have? The lady emailed my SA about it so I'm just waiting now to hear back from him. It’s just all so disheartening…

Thank you for letting me share, sorry it’s such a long post!

Last edited:
Hi! I just had such a sad experience and I was hoping some of you might be able to offer some advice or encouragement.

I’ve been a steady and loyal customer at my local Hermes shop for a few years now, and this time last year I asked my SA to look out for my first ever Kelly, which would be my present for graduating university (last summer) whilst dealing with a horrible chronic illness and other difficult things. I was really specific about exactly what I wanted, and he said the store was expecting exactly my perfect bag and that he’d managed to reserve it for me. A Kelly 32cm in Bleu Nuit Togo leather with palladium hardware.

So a year later, the Monday before this, I finally got the email that my bag had come in. I was so excited, but I was staying in the country (I’d have to get the train into the city to get it) and couldn’t go immediately. And then I got ill and had to delay going. So I arranged to see my SA on Friday, yesterday, to pick it up.
I was still feeling pretty ill, hadn’t slept, had to travel into the city on a really really hot day, and had some stressful chores to do before going to Hermes. Plus I had to catch the last train back in the afternoon so had to be quick and efficient. So I was quite stressed and really worn out by the time I got to Hermes. But so so so excited to see my dream bag, my first Kelly!

I got there and asked for my SA, and was told he wasn’t there that day. I showed them the emails in which he said he would be there. After about twenty minutes of investigation it turned out he’d called in sick in the morning and I hadn’t been told. I was so sad - he is so lovely and he was the person I’d always worked with, and he’d been so kind to get me my perfect bag. I really wanted him to be the one who showed it to me and whom I bought it from. I wish he or someone had let me know he wouldn’t be there.
But I only had two days left till it was no longer reserved for me (the store only keeps a bag for you for two weeks maximum) and I wouldn’t be able to come back to the city in that time, so I had to ask if I could have it even without my SA being there. There was a queue to see the leather department SAs, and so I had to sit and wait for another half hour or more. Which was really stressful, as I’d made an appointment to see my SA at a certain time so I could be sure to catch my train, and it seemed like now I would be too late.

It was already just feeling a bit sad. Not to have my lovely SA there, to have to buy it from someone I didn’t know, and the worry about catching my train.
Then a nice lady came and said she could help me. I told her who I was and that I had a bag waiting for me and she went to get it. I felt quite excited again as we went behind a special curtain and the big box was opened for me.
And then I saw the gold hardware. I know lots of people don’t mind about PHW vs. GHW, but I really do mind. I had always said to my SA that I only wanted PHW, when I asked for the bag in the first place I asked for PHW, when he said it was reserved for me I checked that it was PHW, when it came into the store I checked again (twice!) that it was exactly what I’d asked for. And it said GHW on the box and everything, it wasn’t a mix up.

I know it's just a handbag but I hope some people here might understand how sad I was (and am). I’ve been having a really tough time the last few years with chronic illness, deaths in the family, trying to get through university and various other horrible and difficult things. And this was the prize I’d worked for, the good thing I’d been looking forward to. And I’d waited a year and been so excited for it.
I managed not to cry (though I kind of wish now that I had, so they’d seen how upset I was) and the lady who was helping me was so apologetic. She said it was the first time this had ever happened (just my luck…). I just don’t know what to do now though. I think my SA said it was the last Bleu Nuit bag the store was expecting to receive.

Do you think there’s any chance they might be able to get one for me now? Do you think I can ask them to try and get me the bag they told me I would have? The lady emailed my SA about it so I'm just waiting now to hear back from him. It’s just all so disheartening…

Oh, that's so very disappointing, I'm sorry Elegant Rascal. I read your story and felt like crying too when they brought out the box marked GHW.

I absolutely think the store should do whatever they can to get you the bag with the exact specs that you desire. I'm not familiar with how the stores deal with inventory on Kellys and Birkins, but maybe they can do a swap if they find one with PHW in a different location? I know you'll get some great information here from other members. Good luck, I hope you get your dream bag!

Reactions: ElegantRascal
I'm really sorry. This was not just a bag, it was an important marker of a milestone in your life, and your self-reward for getting through so much. I completely sympathize with how sad you feel if that reward is not exactly as you pictured it.

Wishing you all the best at obtaining the bag you really want, but either way, please don't lose the sense of accomplishment in graduating, and in surviving illness and tragedy in your life. You are a success and an inspiration no matter what.

Did the box labelled correctly against the k?
Talk to your sa
I sensed something not right
However blue with ghw is stunning and popular
No reason for them to drama this during your sa absence
Let's hope yours sa can give you a happy outcome

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

I’m so sorry dear. I feel like crying for you now as I know how utterly crushed you are. Hardware is very important to me as well so if my dream Bag arrives with incorrect hardware I will have to pass and be crushed! I think your sa will make it a point to find your bag! He should!!! Keep us posted as you speak to him... I’m sure this will be complete surprise to him too and he will want to make it right for u!! Be strong darling!!!

How very disappointing and truly sad that the circumstances of your SA not being there when you had set appointments( gosh do i know that experience well) and then the gold hdw. With the exception of one of my bags, and one bag that i may get with rose gold hdw i absolutely only like silver hdware too. Please don’t let this setback affect your wonderful accomplishments. And taking care of your health is more important. Your SA should br made aware of the inconvenience he caused you and make this right for you. Blue Nuit is a gorgeous choice and silver will be stunning on it. Don’t lose heart, congratulations on your milestone achievements and take good care of yourself. BTW, blue nuit is available as SO in your specs, so if you wish to appeal to Store Manager fir about this mishap, is it possibke they can order it for you, though you may have to wait a year for it.

I am so sorry to hear what you have been through. I understand it is your first bag and the excitement just keep building up. I remember my first bag and it was just different than the second and the third and everything else. Something that really bother me from what you shared. A lot of the SA cares about your feelings and they really want to please, but I feel like they make careless mistakes all the time, and they don't even know the products well. I worked with this lady from a store which she was so darling, lovely and we became good friends, but she doesn't really know the products well. They got mixed up with other bags that are in the store, or they got mixed up with other clients...things like this happen. If you are really patient and persistent, you will get what you want (I hope). For them to have the exact specs that you are looking for it is really up to the shipment that they receive, and it can be a fast or long wait - totally depends on luck I feel.

Awwww! My heart breaks for you. While some might say “it’s just a bag” we know it’s more than that. So sorry this happened to you & hopefully your SA will be able to locate your dream bag. Wishing you the best of luck & congrats on finishing uni

Your story is frustrating as you checked several times on the hardware! I hope your SA can make this up to you. Like you and others here have noted, hardware is a deal breaker for me. Good for you for standing your ground and waiting for your perfect bag! :hugs:

Sad to say, if you shop with H long enough, you will be disappointed/frustrated at some or multiple times... I'm in the multiple times category, but my store does do what they can (sometimes this is not much because they have many, many rules too) to make it up to me,...and I still shop there! :shocked:

Oh, that's so very disappointing, I'm sorry Elegant Rascal. I read your story and felt like crying too when they brought out the box marked GHW.

I absolutely think the store should do whatever they can to get you the bag with the exact specs that you desire. I'm not familiar with how the stores deal with inventory on Kellys and Birkins, but maybe they can do a swap if they find one with PHW in a different location? I know you'll get some great information here from other members. Good luck, I hope you get your dream bag!
Thank you so much for your reply, you are so kind! Oh I hope that might be possible, I've just been looking forward to it for so long!

I'm really sorry. This was not just a bag, it was an important marker of a milestone in your life, and your self-reward for getting through so much. I completely sympathize with how sad you feel if that reward is not exactly as you pictured it.

Wishing you all the best at obtaining the bag you really want, but either way, please don't lose the sense of accomplishment in graduating, and in surviving illness and tragedy in your life. You are a success and an inspiration no matter what.
Oh my gosh your reply actually brought tears to my eyes! Thank you so so much. I'm so glad to find people who understand.

Reactions: HereToLearn
Did the box labelled correctly against the k?
Talk to your sa
I sensed something not right
However blue with ghw is stunning and popular
No reason for them to drama this during your sa absence
Let's hope yours sa can give you a happy outcome

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk
Thank you for your reply, yes it was labelled correctly, I think my SA just made a mistake or got confused about the codes for the different hardwares. He is really lovely so I'm sure he will try and fix it, I just hope it's possible.

I’m so sorry dear. I feel like crying for you now as I know how utterly crushed you are. Hardware is very important to me as well so if my dream Bag arrives with incorrect hardware I will have to pass and be crushed! I think your sa will make it a point to find your bag! He should!!! Keep us posted as you speak to him... I’m sure this will be complete surprise to him too and he will want to make it right for u!! Be strong darling!!!
Thank you so much! You are so kind. I feel a lot better after reading lovely replies like yours. My SA is so nice, I'm sure he will try to find me my dream bag again, I just hope it's possible!