Rumour re: Louis Vuitton Recall?

Hi, I bought the red empreinte Curieuse wallet in 2014. Over these years the glaze from all sides has melted off onto my handbag contents, ruining sunglasses, cosmetic pouches, scarves, bag linings, etc. The wallet itself is horribly stained from the melted glaze.

It got so bad that I had to put the wallet into a random dustbag when bringing it out, and was so embarrassed when my friends & family asked if it was real LV, and why the quality was so poor.

Finally, I stumbled across this thread and realized this is not normal and that I should contact LV. I initially contacted them to ask if they would re-glaze it and waive the repairs charge.

To my surprise, they offered store credit exchange! So I picked up a new wallet!

I’m very happy with the outcome, and this has really brought back my confidence in the brand, knowing that LV will stand behind their product.

Also, a heartfelt thank you to everyone who contributed in this thread, without it, I wouldn’t have known this was a widespread issue that LV was aware of.

3A99FA7A-13CF-4253-88CD-CF0950FED1BC.jpeg

Dear all, I am happy to see this message thread here in this forum as I am also in the same predicament. I purchased the RARE discontinued Capucines GM bag in 2014 and have never used it really. To my shock, all the edge glazing melted with the glazing marks even EVIDENT imprinted on the dust bag when I checked on it this year. I brought the bag to LV this year hoping, just like you, for them to fix the edge glazing. To my BIGGEST disappointment, they said that they could not repair it and offer to give me a store credit of the last purchase price in 2014. Or if I wanted to they would replace it with the MM but pay for the price difference of $2,500 extra (they mentioned that the price increased because of inflation, DUH, what about me, the price I paid for a defective and damaged product! I was completely shocked with this, besides being a smaller sized MM bag, they were even asking me to pay! I have been an LV customer for 30 years and this type of customer service is simply disgusting. I argued, WHY? You sell me a damaged bag which has given you bad publicity and this is what you offer me? Given that there was a worldwide recall of the Capucines produced in 2013 and 2014 which I unfortunately missed, this is the WORST service ever. This really puts a bad taste for LV and I do hope that lot's of people read our BAD experience of the poor quality workmanship of LV and their horrible customer support. I am still contemplating whether to just get a store credit or bring it to a bag clinic say in London. Customer service at Walmart would be better than this! Any feedback and thoughts would be kindly appreciated :smile:

Dear all, I am happy to see this message thread here in this forum as I am also in the same predicament. I purchased the RARE discontinued Capucines GM bag in 2014 and have never used it really. To my shock, all the edge glazing melted with the glazing marks even EVIDENT imprinted on the dust bag when I checked on it this year. I brought the bag to LV this year hoping, just like you, for them to fix the edge glazing. To my BIGGEST disappointment, they said that they could not repair it and offer to give me a store credit of the last purchase price in 2014. Or if I wanted to they would replace it with the MM but pay for the price difference of $2,500 extra (they mentioned that the price increased because of inflation, DUH, what about me, the price I paid for a defective and damaged product! I was completely shocked with this, besides being a smaller sized MM bag, they were even asking me to pay! I have been an LV customer for 30 years and this type of customer service is simply disgusting. I argued, WHY? You sell me a damaged bag which has given you bad publicity and this is what you offer me? Given that there was a worldwide recall of the Capucines produced in 2013 and 2014 which I unfortunately missed, this is the WORST service ever. This really puts a bad taste for LV and I do hope that lot's of people read our BAD experience of the poor quality workmanship of LV and their horrible customer support. I am still contemplating whether to just get a store credit or bring it to a bag clinic say in London. Customer service at Walmart would be better than this! Any feedback and thoughts would be kindly appreciated :smile:
Try a different store, you might get a different outcome with another manager.

Maybe I’m missing something but this seems like a fair resolution? I’m not sure why you are unhappy?

Not even sure what she is looking for in compensation? What they offered seemed fair to me??
Fair? What is fair about not replacing the actual bag, the GM is not available anymore, and the MM price has increased by almost $2,500.00. Basically I have to spend an additional $2,500.00 now for a smaller MM bag. My preferred option is for them to fix the edge glazing, but they said they don't do that any more. Am thinking of returning it in Paris? Or another store as suggested?

Reactions: roxi88
The Capucines sold in 2013-2014 were in a recall and I was not contacted by LV.
The "recall" reports are conflicting. Seems it was based on location and "if" CS reached out to you. You said you just checked it this year and noticed an issue. If they offered you compensation, that's the same thing as a recall.. I don't think after all this time you can expect a refund of an adjusted price.
ETA you said you "never" used it..so why would you want it repaired? I would just take the credit and buy something else.

It seems like you didn't enjoy the bag in the first place if it sat in your closet for 10 years. I would take the credit and buy something within your budget that you will actually use, or buy something to sell and walk away with whatever you can get out of this old of a purchase.
I think that is actually pretty good customer service to get exactly what you paid for a 10 year old purchase.

The "recall" reports are conflicting. Seems it was based on location and "if" CS reached out to you. You said you just checked it this year and noticed an issue. If they offered you compensation, that's the same thing as a recall.. I don't think after all this time you can expect a refund of an adjusted price.
ETA you said you "never" used it..so why would you want it repaired? I would just take the credit and buy something else.
I love the bag, especially the GM size, but have only used it once/twice. Fair enough, thanks for the suggestion. Might as well just get the store credit and buy something else.

Reactions: TC1
It seems like you didn't enjoy the bag in the first place if it sat in your closet for 10 years. I would take the credit and buy something within your budget that you will actually use, or buy something to sell and walk away with whatever you can get out of this old of a purchase.
Thank you that's probably what I will do, although I really like to keep the GM as a personal collection.