Rumor of Chanel’s new policy on reserving bags

It’s been a little while since this thread has been updated on bag reservations. Is there still a requirement for vip levels before one can reserve a bag at a boutique? Is it different for leased boutiques? And if you reserve a bag and then see it and don’t love it will this hurt the sa relationship? This feels like Hermes games. :confused1::shocked:

Reactions: Prettyinpnknwht
It’s been a little while since this thread has been updated on bag reservations. Is there still a requirement for vip levels before one can reserve a bag at a boutique? Is it different for leased boutiques? And if you reserve a bag and then see it and don’t love it will this hurt the sa relationship? This feels like Hermes games. :confused1::shocked:
I recently asked about a season mini with my SA with whom I have a pretty good relationship, even though I only really started working with her more closely earlier this year (in the past I’d just work with whichever SA is available when I drop in). So I’m definitely not VIP whatsoever, I only got 2 brooches and a mini 22 in the past 6 months from the boutique. Anyway, SA said 4 were coming in for the bag I was interested in, but 3 are spoken for already and 1 not. She asked if I wanted to put my name down for it and I asked what that entails and she said if I put my name down for it, the bag won’t be shown to others until I see it and decide whether to get it or not. I didn’t have to pay upfront or a downpayment for it either. I was honest and said I’m very interested but not sure about buying yet, I just want to see it and try it on me, etc., and my SA said that’s totally fine and that she would put my name down for it. I’m in Canada. So yeah I’m not sure if that’s standard practice in my boutique or across Canada or across Chanel, but that’s my experience so far. The bag is still on its way so I guess I’d know more once it comes.

I don’t think it’s like Hermès at all (in my local Hermes store I always only get ignored when I drop in lol! Whereas the Chanel store for some reason the vibe is just more welcoming; but in other cities this could be the opposite, etc.), but ofc like in other houses, I think the key is having an SA you click with that can help you with things like these, as some might be more or less willing. My SA did say that they might not always put people’s names down but since she saw how interested I am, she wanted to help me out. I really think I’m just lucky with her because she’s super nice 😊

I recently asked about a season mini with my SA with whom I have a pretty good relationship, even though I only really started working with her more closely earlier this year (in the past I’d just work with whichever SA is available when I drop in). So I’m definitely not VIP whatsoever, I only got 2 brooches and a mini 22 in the past 6 months from the boutique. Anyway, SA said 4 were coming in for the bag I was interested in, but 3 are spoken for already and 1 not. She asked if I wanted to put my name down for it and I asked what that entails and she said if I put my name down for it, the bag won’t be shown to others until I see it and decide whether to get it or not. I didn’t have to pay upfront or a downpayment for it either. I was honest and said I’m very interested but not sure about buying yet, I just want to see it and try it on me, etc., and my SA said that’s totally fine and that she would put my name down for it. I’m in Canada. So yeah I’m not sure if that’s standard practice in my boutique or across Canada or across Chanel, but that’s my experience so far. The bag is still on its way so I guess I’d know more once it comes.

I don’t think it’s like Hermès at all (in my local Hermes store I always only get ignored when I drop in lol! Whereas the Chanel store for some reason the vibe is just more welcoming; but in other cities this could be the opposite, etc.), but ofc like in other houses, I think the key is having an SA you click with that can help you with things like these, as some might be more or less willing. My SA did say that they might not always put people’s names down but since she saw how interested I am, she wanted to help me out. I really think I’m just lucky with her because she’s super nice 😊
Thank you for the info! I wonder if it’s different in the us. I asked an sa about a bag and was told they’d ring it for me. To me that sounded like I was already committed to having to purchase?

Thank you for the info! I wonder if it’s different in the us. I asked an sa about a bag and was told they’d ring it for me. To me that sounded like I was already committed to having to purchase?
Oooh I see what you mean… hmm maybe different in the US or at that store in particular. Tbh though here in Canada some other houses like that e.g., reserving anything at LV means paying upfront in full (even if the item is not expected in the next 2 weeks or so, which is kinda annoying lol), but in other places like Fendi they ask for 50% payment to “reserve” or order/move an item from another store, etc. Maybe clarify with your SA :smile:

• Insightful
Reactions: SDC2003
This sounds like your SA has located the bag and has it in stock for you to purchase? That's why they told you they would ring it up.

For classics that they do have available, I don't believe you can "hold" bags anymore and have to pay for it up front or in person. Although I'm sure this varies by store.

When I "reserve" a bag, it's usually for a bag that has yet to be released (for an upcoming season) or not yet in stock. I do not have to pay anything up front for this and can decline when the bag comes in. Doesn't hurt my relationship with my SA at all.

I have also experienced putting my name down for a bag as @delwynnpawn mentioned. I'm also based in the US.

This sounds like your SA has located the bag and has it in stock for you to purchase? That's why they told you they would ring it up.

For classics that they do have available, I don't believe you can "hold" bags anymore and have to pay for it up front or in person. Although I'm sure this varies by store.

When I "reserve" a bag, it's usually for a bag that has yet to be released (for an upcoming season) or not yet in stock. I do not have to pay anything up front for this and can decline when the bag comes in. Doesn't hurt my relationship with my SA at all.

I have also experienced putting my name down for a bag as @delwynnpawn mentioned. I'm also based in the US.
This is for a bag that’s for an upcoming season. Thank you for the insight!

Reactions: plory
I don't know what the qualifications are for being a VIP, but based on spending alone, I can't imagine I am one (I've spent less than 30k in the past year and have been shopping there for as long). Even still, my SA offered to reserve a black Small Coco Handle for me when I expressed interest. This is a Chanel boutique (e.g. not within Saks, Nordstrom, etc.) in the US.

I'm also curious to hear more information about reserving! I didn't even realize that the SAs could look up when they'd be receiving different bags, but she knew that one will be coming within the next month-ish.

Reactions: SDC2003
I don't know that there was ever a consistent VIP level required to reserve bags--I think VIPs always get first crack at new collections, especially the most desirable items, but even when I was buying a lot more I was never a VIP and was still able to reserve some bags. My sense is that it depends a lot on the SA, and also what it means to "reserve"--whether that means just putting your name on a list or actually pre-ordering an item and paying for it, because I've done both.

As for what happens if you don't love the item, I think this also depends on whether you've simply put your name on a list or you've already pre-paid, and also on factors like when you decided you no longer wanted it, how desirable the bag is, and your existing relationship with the SA. If it's a bag that's very limited/in-demand and your SA worked hard to get it for you, and you wait until it comes in and are like "oh no never mind," I think that might annoy them more, especially if you haven't been shopping with them long. Also if you routinely pre-order or reserve items and change your mind, that would probably be a black mark against you. But if it's something you haven't paid for, that hasn't come in yet, and especially if it's an item that can easily be sold to someone else, I don't think they would be too annoyed if you asked to have your name taken off the list. Or if you've shopped with an SA for a while and they know you're a good client, they will probably be more patient when you decide something is not for you. But also the nice thing about Chanel is that even if your SA gets mad at you, there are plenty more SAs out there--loyalty is important with Chanel but not required the same way it is with Hermes.