Rub or dab/pat your moisturiser?

ruthie_1

May 12, 2011
Silly question I know...
For most of my life, i have been rubbing moisturiser on my face...
A little while ago, when i went to see a Creme de la Mer counter... she introduced me to this patting technique. Is this only used for expensive creams?

I have since seen some youtube videos and again - they have this patting in serum and face cream technique...

who does what on this forum?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Ruth

I gently rub it in... I think the patting technique makes more sense with eyecremes?
I think it has to do with being gentle to your skin, which I am, so I don't buy the whole patting thing really.

There have been threads on this before. Some pat, some dab, some rub. I don't see any value in dabbing or patting. Personally, I think that it's a waste of time. I think that dabbing and/or patting has to do with not stretching or pulling on the delicate skin of the face (especially around the eye area). I don't buy into that theory. I believe that there are far more damaging things that I can do to my face (not wearing sunscreen, etc.), but rubbing on moisturizer (instead of dabbing/patting) is not one of them.

I gently rub it in... I think the patting technique makes more sense with eyecremes?
I think it has to do with being gentle to your skin, which I am, so I don't buy the whole patting thing really.

Same here. I gently rub in my face moisturizers/serums. I don't rub hard enough to push the skin around or anything, so I don't think I'm doing any damage really. I do try to pat my eye creams in, since the skin around your eyes is more delicate.

Thanks for your input. just wanted to see what you girls are doing out there in the world!

Just that i'm experiencing some bad dry skin at the moment - probably due to the bad cold weather in london and thought maybe dab/pat would help it rather than just rubbing it in!

Thanks!

When I moisturize my face, I typically rub gently. I have always rubbed it in. When I use my acne cream I pat that because I feel like patting concentrates it in one area better.

Make-Up. Nails. Fashion. Beauty.
Follow me on Twitter: @alanijarai