Roll Call for those of us on a Handbag Ban and why!

I hard stopped buying bags because when I thought of things that made me happy in 2022 - and I mean _really_ happy in a profound way - bags were not among them. In contrast to that, I realized I devoted too much time and money on bags which started to feel silly to me.
I am starting to feel the same. I am ashamed of myself, I must say. I dont even switch them out that much so they just languish in the closet. I’m try to muster up the courage to sell some of them off and be done.

When I think of how much I spent on bags in 2022…
It’s a grim reckoning indeed. :death:

It isn’t that I couldn’t afford them as much as what I could have done with those discretionary funds instead. :facepalm:
I think I speak for (nearly) everyone here, when I say we've all done the math at some point and thought the same. :wtf:When the money drifts off in small streams it's harder to notice.

After being stupid with my money enough times my answer to solve the problem was setting a budget for my collection. And I say "stupid" because there's no other word for it. I didn't think of my purchases, sometimes at all and other times just not enough. Nothing like being in your 20's, single and free of obligations... :facepalm:

I think I speak for (nearly) everyone here, when I say we've all done the math at some point and thought the same. :wtf:When the money drifts off in small streams it's harder to notice.

After being stupid with my money enough times my answer to solve the problem was setting a budget for my collection. And I say "stupid" because there's no other word for it. I didn't think of my purchases, sometimes at all and other times just not enough. Nothing like being in your 20's, single and free of obligations... :facepalm:
You are definitely speaking for me.

I am on a ban for several reasons:

- I don’t get enough wear out of my current collection. I too realized that I have a casual lifestyle and do not need much formal or going out bags.
- I spent way too much time researching bags.
- Selling bags is a hassle.
- I want to focus more on spending on travel and saving for a home.
- I am disappointed with the lack of QC at LV. I spent too much time returning defective items or speaking to customer service.
- The new collections haven’t caught my eye.

I have more than I need and would like to spend this year enjoying my current collection. I sometimes am afraid to take my designer bags out, but they are meant to be worn and loved !

Last edited:

agreed ! I looked through my receipts and have a grand total written in my journal that I spent on my designer bags. I just have to look at that number to dissuade me from making any further purchases.

Not a bag ban per se, but a ban on buying a newly manufactured bag which started around 2017. I feel this is the compromise in managing my want versus need. I broke the ban in early 2019 to order a custom Massaccesi bag, but has since not bought a new bag, just used bags (in good condition). Although I am very very tempted to break the ban again for a Polene bag, which is very hard to come by used in good condition (most people seem to keep their Polene).

. . .
I think too much emphasis is on buying bags (and things). The emphasis on possessions should be enjoying them.
This is the key here. Shopping can be addictive (as we all know) and unfortunately, the addictive part is not actually owning the item, but shopping for it.

I think that for those of us without unlimited means, it's important to assess our actual wardrobe needs and buy accordingly, rather than "fall in love" with a bag and get it without knowing where and how we'll use it. Otherwise we can end up spending our money on things that ultimately don't really matter and - adding insult to injury, won't even use - rather than on making ourselves more financially secure.

The irony is that the message luxury bags send is that someone is financially secure enough to afford that much money on a discretionary (non-essential) item, but for many, it is actually the opposite, because they are going into debt to buy those items.

I find selling bags to be a big hassle though and would like not to have to do this much anymore.

Same. Honestly, unless a bag is in like new condition I can’t be bothered with it. It’s too frustrating to have to deal with returns or other shenanigans because a bag’s condition didn’t meet a buyer’s expectations. If I don’t *really* need the money I’d rather give bags as gifts than deal with the hassle of selling.

I can’t imagine doing the “investment bag” thing where people rotate through premier brand bags and constantly worry about resale value. I’m a buy and keep person and I use them to death. I don’t fuss about keeping them in pristine condition.

Same. Honestly, unless a bag is in like new condition I can’t be bothered with it. It’s too frustrating to have to deal with returns or other shenanigans because a bag’s condition didn’t meet a buyer’s expectations. If I don’t *really* need the money I’d rather give bags as gifts than deal with the hassle of selling.

I can’t imagine doing the “investment bag” thing where people rotate through premier brand bags and constantly worry about resale value. I’m a buy and keep person and I use them to death. I don’t fuss about keeping them in pristine condition.
:goodpost:

I'm on a ban because I honestly spent way too much last year. I fell down the Coach rabbit hole, and bought way too many trendy/cutesy bags and accessories that I don't wear and honestly didn't even like very much after I'd opened them and put them on my shelf. The only Coach bags I've purchased that I use consistently are my solid black rogue, and my solid color Cassies.

agreed ! I looked through my receipts and have a grand total written in my journal that I spent on my designer bags. I just have to look at that number to dissuade me from making any further purchases.
I do this too! I have a running total I keep in my iPhone notes for how much I have spent on my current luxury bags, contemporary bags, and SLGs. It’s a very useful exercise and a great thing to refer back to.

The lure of a new bag keeps calling to me, but I am really trying to save toward a vacation this summer, some much needed home repairs, and a nice necklace I can wear every day. I think those things will bring me more satisfaction than a bag right now.

Not buying because I have come to the conclusion that I only need ONE bag. :wtf:.
Yes! One can only carry one bag at a time (technically) and I've come to the late realization that I'm too lazy to keep switching bags. Of course I only figure this out because of the pandemic and now that I own over 30 designer handbags :facepalm: :facepalm:

Last edited: