Rolex: Was it worth it? $$$

This thread is helpful as I'm considering a Rolex as well. Question - does the Everose Gold hold it's value like the yellow gold? I'm considering the two tone version - not solid gold. I don't wear yellow gold - it's doesn't look great against my pasty Irish skin. I mostly wear platinum or rose gold. But for a classic, lifetime purchase like this - as well as the fact it will be two tone - I'm thinking I may want to go with the yellow gold. I'm torn... Resale value isn't as important as wearability but there is something classic about the yellow gold.

• Love
Reactions: 880
This thread is helpful as I'm considering a Rolex as well. Question - does the Everose Gold hold it's value like the yellow gold? I'm considering the two tone version - not solid gold. I don't wear yellow gold - it's doesn't look great against my pasty Irish skin. I mostly wear platinum or rose gold. But for a classic, lifetime purchase like this - as well as the fact it will be two tone - I'm thinking I may want to go with the yellow gold. I'm torn... Resale value isn't as important as wearability but there is something classic about the yellow gold.
Probably doesn’t matter if it’s TT. There could be a difference if all gold but most people really like one or the other so would you wear a metal even if you don’t like it just because the resale value might be a little better? Jewelry is to love, not to worry about resale...if you love it you’ll never sell it!

A Rolex is something I’ve always dreamed of
Agree with @Gourmetgal. If it causes no financial hardship, you should have one :smile: and especially if you feel about Rolex the way @doni does above ^.

I had a two tone and still have a gold one from my family as well as a mens GMT stainless, and I prefer the stainless bc I like a chunkier watch. However, I do prefer wearing Cartier, JLC, or IWC to Rolex for reasons of personal aesthetics. I think the men’s stainless holds its value best, and if you want something to retain value, choose among Rolex or PP. The luxury brand company Richmont also bought a preowned watch company called watchfinders. Although I have not used them, you might want to compare prices Btwn new and preowned. A watches value plummets substantially (like a car) and Rolex while somewhat insulated, is not entirely immune. So if you go preowned, be sure it includes box and papers. Without a box and papers, I’ve been told the watches value plummets 40-60%. I just mentioned this preowned option bc of your concern above about finances. Of course if you see an authentic Rolex of your dreams Without box and papers and priced accordingly, go for it! Pls do continue to post on your thought process! HTH:smile:

forgot to add: with Rolex you can lose minutes, not just seconds. My gold one is so old (my grandmother and mother wore it before me) that the last overhaul maybe 10 years ago, Rolex said unfortunately they could not guarantee it would continue to work, but it’s still going :smile:

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: KittyKat65
No regrets, because I bought a watch I love, not the brand.

Keeps perfect time, absolutely no issues. I correct the time on my main watch (Explorer II, 16570) twice a year when daylight saving time starts/ends. By then it has gained a couple of minutes, less than 5. That's more accurate than I will ever need it to be. All other watches are only worn occasionally, so they require me to set them up before wearing them.

From all watch brands considered "luxury brands", Rolex makes the sturdiest ones. The ones that you can wear while playing with children & animals. During sport, DIY, I even wear my main watch when I wrench on a family member's car.

To me that has always been the major factor/consideration: A watch that can be worn everyday and compliments my lifestyle as a whole. Not just certain aspects/parts of it.

Send it in for service between every 5 and 10 years and it will never fail you.

Kind regards,
Oliver

My Rolex story... a few years ago, I decided I no longer wanted my Hermes bags, and I sold them and used the cash to buy a Rolex. It was the best and easiest decision I ever made. I went from having bags I was constantly worried about babying to having this amazing piece of engineering on my wrist that looks cool, and works well. I went for the Everrose Gold, sportier bracelet (I forget the name), two-tone Datejust 31 with diamond markers on a green background. I have never loved a watch more. As soon as I put it on, I knew it was the watch for me. No regrets. So I say buy it for you, to wear and love. If you aren't going to do that, maybe wait a bit to understand why you want it. I don't see it as an investment piece. I just love it.

No regrets, because I bought a watch I love, not the brand.

Keeps perfect time, absolutely no issues. I correct the time on my main watch (Explorer II, 16570) twice a year when daylight saving time starts/ends. By then it has gained a couple of minutes, less than 5. That's more accurate than I will ever need it to be. All other watches are only worn occasionally, so they require me to set them up before wearing them.

From all watch brands considered "luxury brands", Rolex makes the sturdiest ones. The ones that you can wear while playing with children & animals. During sport, DIY, I even wear my main watch when I wrench on a family member's car.

To me that has always been the major factor/consideration: A watch that can be worn everyday and compliments my lifestyle as a whole. Not just certain aspects/parts of it.

Send it in for service between every 5 and 10 years and it will never fail you.

Kind regards,
Oliver
Thanks for this feedback, Oliver. This is the feedback I was hoping for - I want a study yet beautiful watch that will go with my mostly casual/business casual lifestyle but can be dressed up at times.

Reactions: the_black_tie_diyer
My Rolex story... a few years ago, I decided I no longer wanted my Hermes bags, and I sold them and used the cash to buy a Rolex. It was the best and easiest decision I ever made. I went from having bags I was constantly worried about babying to having this amazing piece of engineering on my wrist that looks cool, and works well. I went for the Everrose Gold, sportier bracelet (I forget the name), two-tone Datejust 31 with diamond markers on a green background. I have never loved a watch more. As soon as I put it on, I knew it was the watch for me. No regrets. So I say buy it for you, to wear and love. If you aren't going to do that, maybe wait a bit to understand why you want it. I don't see it as an investment piece. I just love it.
Thanks for this. Not really sure why I mentioned resale value as I don't resale really anything - I tend to research (overly, at times) then purchase. I guess what I was thinking is if the Everose will stand the test of time and still look like a classic in 10-20 years vs the traditional gold. I wouldn't want the Everose to look "dated" down the road.

I was leaning toward a Franck Muller Color Dreams but I'm now leaning toward a Rolex - more of a classic and I think I'll regret not getting it.

Thanks for this. Not really sure why I mentioned resale value as I don't resale really anything - I tend to research (overly, at times) then purchase. I guess what I was thinking is if the Everose will stand the test of time and still look like a classic in 10-20 years vs the traditional gold. I wouldn't want the Everose to look "dated" down the road.

I've been asking this as well -- my desired Rolex is also a two-tone Everrose. But in looking at some pre-owned options, it seems Rolex has produced a rose gold variation for decades! The is giving me some reassurance that it is standing the test of time (no pun intended).

I was leaning toward a Franck Muller Color Dreams but I'm now leaning toward a Rolex - more of a classic and I think I'll regret not getting it.

Well, in think in the back of our minds, we all hope we never have to sell anything, but if we do, it will be worth something. That said, for whatever reason, the rose gold just looked better on my skin. I originally wanted a similar watch in a 34 with yellow gold but I just didn't like it. The 31 with rose gold just gave me a great feeling when I put it on and even though my rings and most other jewelry is yellow gold now, it all works together. What looks good on your skin in a factor too.

Well, in think in the back of our minds, we all hope we never have to sell anything, but if we do, it will be worth something. That said, for whatever reason, the rose gold just looked better on my skin. I originally wanted a similar watch in a 34 with yellow gold but I just didn't like it. The 31 with rose gold just gave me a great feeling when I put it on and even though my rings and most other jewelry is yellow gold now, it all works together. What looks good on your skin in a factor too.
Thanks! I'm leaning toward the TT Everrose for the same reason - rose gold looks better on my pinkish Irish skin than yellow gold. My wedding set is Platinum and all my other jewelry is rose gold. I think once I try some on in person it will be an easy decision

Thanks! I'm leaning toward the TT Everrose for the same reason - rose gold looks better on my pinkish Irish skin than yellow gold. My wedding set is Platinum and all my other jewelry is rose gold. I think once I try some on in person it will be an easy decision
I think you should visit the AD& try both the yellow gold and everose gold on your wrist rather than just thinking about it because sometimes it’s very difficult to make decision just based on our visualisation in our mind :smile: it will help you making the decision on the size as well. usually after see them in person and try them on, you will know which one looks better on you and the one you prefer. I rarely wear yellow gold jewellery but the moment I tried on my two tone yellow gold date just my heart skipped a beat. Initially I planned to buy the 28mm but when tried it on my wrist, it looks a bit small. In the end, I ended up getting the 31mm because it’s the perfect size for my wrist.

Reactions: MooMooVT and etudes