Travel Roadtrip between LA and San Diego

agile

Apr 17, 2008
DH and I are planning a week long roadtrip between LA and San Diego during Christmas. We also plan to do the areas surrounding these 2 cities. Does anyone have any suggestions where we should stop and what we should see along the way? Is it better driving from LA to San Diego or vice versa (I guess it's the same?)

I don't think the drive itself is really very scenic, but in terms of nice scenery you could maybe take the 1 for the amount of time that it allows you. I would definitely recommend stopping in Laguna beach too!

Laguna Beach is nice, South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa is a huge mall with a lot of great stores...also Fashion Island in Newport Beach and I love the Irvine Spectrum, it has a lot of small stores but they're not ALL the ones you find all over in all malls. The Nordie's there is nice too.
But yeah it's a pretty fast drive (assuming you don't go during rush hour)...I agree with lilian, the drive isn't super scenic, it gets pretty boring a lot of the time unless you're on the 101 or 5 driving by the ocean. Otherwise it's just buildings.
Also, I don't know how far out of the way you're wanting to go, but Julian is amazing, it's such a cute little town and they have the BEST apple pies there and the yummiest bread from Dudley's bakery. I haven't been there in quite awhile but we used to go this time of the year all the time when I was little. Here's the website: http://www.julianca.com

you might also want to check out the Outlets in San Diego-- the Carlsbad and San Ysidro =)

oh and the Flower Farm at Carlsbad... but then again, if you're travelling in Dec.. the flowers might not be so "alive" at that time.