Retalitory feedback...nutty seller/buyer

sanatra

Aug 15, 2008
To make a long story short, I bought something a few weeks back that honestly warranted leaving the seller negative feedback, which I have rarely done in my 8 years on eBay.

Fast forward to last week...I sold a cheap item to someone (hmm...their name sounds familiar)...ship it...then boom...negative feedback received. Weird. Nothing was wrong with this item.

Given the negative I received that killed my 100% rating, it got my brain working and I realized the person I left negative feedback for used a different account to purchase from me. Same name and address.

My dilemma: The person I spoke to at eBay said that does not warrant feedback removal even though they agreed it was the same person. Huh? So, can bitter sellers REALLY do this and and get away with it?

I can't believe that eBay told you that the buyer's retaliatory behavior did not warrant feedback removal! What the buyer did is so wrong!

Did you have the original seller's name blocked? If so then maybe you could argue with eBay that this buyer bought your item under a different account since you blocked them. I've heard eBay takes notice of this. But then again I thought they would recognize retalitory feedback too....

Try to call them back and have your call escalated to a supervisor. If you know it is the same person and can prove it to them then they should remove the neg.

I can't believe that eBay told you that the buyer's retaliatory behavior did not warrant feedback removal! What the buyer did is so wrong!

Did you have the original seller's name blocked? If so then maybe you could argue with eBay that this buyer bought your item under a different account since you blocked them. I've heard eBay takes notice of this. But then again I thought they would recognize retalitory feedback too....

+1
I think it's called account interference or something- you're not supposed to use more than one account to contact/deal with a seller. I actually found out about this about a year ago. PITA seller blocked my messages when I was trying to do a return of a fake bag. I messaged her from my other account and BAM! Got in trouble with eBay :biggrin: . It should work in your favor here, OP.

When I figured out it was the same person I immediately thought "okay, eBay will definitely remove her feedback," but after being told it wasn't enough to warrant removal, I thought I would seek advice before calling back tomorrow and speaking to someone else. I can definitely prove its her. The rep just has to look up both transactions and they'll find it's the same person who sold me an item that bought an item from me. It's truly simple on their end, really. I'm going to give them a ring tomorrow *fingers crossed* will update.

+1
I think it's called account interference or something- you're not supposed to use more than one account to contact/deal with a seller. I actually found out about this about a year ago. PITA seller blocked my messages when I was trying to do a return of a fake bag. I messaged her from my other account and BAM! Got in trouble with eBay :biggrin: . It should work in your favor here, OP.

This is different - sort of. You had a transaction with your seller so I'm not sure how she could have blocked your messages. But contacting using another ID was frowned on by ebay since that wasn't the ID that was involved in the transaction.
And yes, I did indeed block that seller beforehand

Call ebay again and explain to ebay that this buyer circumvented your block by using another ID. That's a sanctionable offense.

Refer the ebay person to their own policy. Here's the link to the policy:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/unwelcome-buying.html

From the POLICY OVERVIEW:

As a buyer, you're not allowed to bid on or buy an item in order to harm a listing or to leave negative or neutral Feedback or low detailed seller ratings for sellers.

And on the same page, under the "NOT ALLOWED"

You can't try to buy or bid on an item if you're on a seller's blocked bidder or buyer list.

You can't use another account to buy or bid on an item if you're on a seller's blocked bidder or buyer list.

Tell them to look at your BBL and see that the other ID is on the list. Have them look and link the accounts and they can see she used the second ID to circumvent your block.

I agree. This totally qualifies for feedback removal under malicious and unwelcome bidding policy at least.
Also, that is why you should always have a separate "buying" ebay account which should be different from your "selling" account.

This is different - sort of. You had a transaction with your seller so I'm not sure how she could have blocked your messages. But contacting using another ID was frowned on by ebay since that wasn't the ID that was involved in the transaction.

Call ebay again and explain to ebay that this buyer circumvented your block by using another ID. That's a sanctionable offense.

Refer the ebay person to their own policy. Here's the link to the policy:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/unwelcome-buying.html

From the POLICY OVERVIEW:

As a buyer, you're not allowed to bid on or buy an item in order to harm a listing or to leave negative or neutral Feedback or low detailed seller ratings for sellers.

And on the same page, under the "NOT ALLOWED"

You can't try to buy or bid on an item if you're on a seller's blocked bidder or buyer list.

You can't use another account to buy or bid on an item if you're on a seller's blocked bidder or buyer list.

Tell them to look at your BBL and see that the other ID is on the list. Have them look and link the accounts and they can see she used the second ID to circumvent your block.
Thank you SO much for this info! I'll give them a call tomorrow. I'm guessing I just was unfortunate enough to speak to someone who must not have been too well informed with their own policies.