Retaliation story

Phew.. i just can not get over people! Whatever happened to manners, politeness, honesty and conscience?

It's hard for me to believe how hateful and vindictive people can be, even in a situation they brought upon themselves.

Every time I hear of something like this, it just breaks a piece of my heart right off.

Life is hard enough - why cant we just HELP each other instead of scheme, trick, cheat, lie and steal? Makes me want to just, well... I dont even know. It makes me feel helpless and lost.

I am, too, SO over Ebay. I just don't need that kind of stress in my life, and would now rather go without whatever it is I was eyeing on there.

Whenever I have any problems with an eBay member -- whether they be sellers or buyers -- I always add them to my blocked bidder list, just in case s/he decides to retaliate. I'm sorry this happened to you, lamblove, but I really do admire your positive attitude about it all!

Whenever I have any problems with an eBay member -- whether they be sellers or buyers -- I always add them to my blocked bidder list, just in case s/he decides to retaliate. I'm sorry this happened to you, lamblove, but I really do admire your positive attitude about it all!

Thank you for your kind words. :biggrin:
I definitely use the block list now - this whole experience was an eye-opener!

while you were unhappy with your purchase, you shouldn't have left negative feedback that the item was fake when you only had a feeling it was.

eta: sorry though that the person retaliated to you

What a terrible story - I totally understand why you got paranoid, I would have been too, trust me:hugs:.

It's a pity you didn't know for sure it was fake when you posted you feedback - and I understand why you didn't have the nerve to just say FAKE until you was absolutly, 100% sure and not 99%, just show me how sweet and honest person YOU are ;).

while you were unhappy with your purchase, you shouldn't have left negative feedback that the item was fake when you only had a feeling it was.

eta: sorry though that the person retaliated to you

I appreciate your POV.
I didnt get into details, as it would have taken a lot more writing, but please let me address your comment, as I value your thoughts.

1. After I started to feel an intuitive worry that the item might be fake - I did research. Research on the ebay forum on counterfeits said that signs of a seller of counterfeit goods: private auctions; canceled transactions; the color of the coach gift box is always a certain combo (don't remember exactly now, as I haven't bought any Coach since) and the seller's item included a gift box that did not match specifications. Every single warning sign talked about on the forum was exhibited by seller.

2. I researched several sites to find pictures of the Penelope wallet on several sites (before this I had no idea at all about Coach): Coach site, Neiman Marcus, Nordstroms, and others. I looked VERY CAREFULLY at pix. The grain of the leather didn't look right. I got more worried. I realized that the seller wasn't selling a wallet that was an older model - but a current model also being sold concurrently at Coach, and all the other major retail stores - at over half the retail cost. There was also more than one wallet - just a couple or a few, but what reason would an individual have to own these new models and sell at such a cheap price when it was NWT, etc?

3. I sent several messages to seller, first very politely voicing my concern - then as the seller did not respond, I got more worried. If indeed this was a counterfeit seller, then what guarantee would I have that they would behave ethically? Seller ultimately responded but it took over the allowed 2-3 days that ebay designates as the allotted amount of time seller has to respond.

4. When seller did respond, the response was - "you have no proof!!" My feeling is - if I was selling an item and someone suggested that they were concerned about counterfeit, my first reaction would be: "Gosh I'm sorry you feel that way - let me tell you where I purchased the item (or was gifted it) and for what reason I am now selling it" or some such reply that would explain why I felt that a counterfeit worry would not apply in my situation. The seller NEVER ONCE offered to show proof or tell me the reason for this current model being sold at less than half retail price - and instead, the first and last worry that they articulated: "You have NO PROOF!!" That sounds like a guilty reply - an honest person wouldn't say: "you have no proof" but rather, they would explain the things I discussed earlier.

5. I realized that there were several other sites selling in a very similar methodology, same exact pix, same exact gift boxes, same type of graphics and similar descriptions.

Based on the overwhelming evidence, I came to the conclusion that the seller was MOST LIKELY selling fakes. And as the saying goes: "Where there's smoke, there's usually fire." True, I had no concrete proof - and I stated that in my follow up message, and felt guilty about saying that it was not authentic as I had not direct evidence because I BELIEVE in honesty.

If I had left neutral feedback, I would have eventually found out, as I did here, that the item was in fact a counterfeit wallet. But I wouldn't have been able to change the neutral. Also, the way the seller behaved was very dodgy - the neg was also for the very weird lack of communication initially - I sent THREE messages before they responded. So I stand by the neg. based on what happened, and how the seller handled the situation - he also called me names and got very weird, and that also went into the whole thought process.

Ultimately, this was a judgment call- and granted, I based my judgment on my personal experiece with people who lie - how they behave, and what they say and do when they're lying, in addition to the other pieces listed above. I know that others will disagree, but I know liars, and ultimately, TPF vindicated what I knew in my gut to be the truth all along.

You can agree or disagree as you like, but this is my experience and I stand by it. Over many many years of experience, I let my gut guide me - and to date, it has never been wrong. I used to doubt it all the time when I was younger, but after so many experiences, I learned to listen and trust it. But of course, I also spent many many hours doing the research as well, and that played a huge part in my decision as well - I would never suggest that anyone else behave differently.

I would also never suggest than any seller's experiences or viewpoints are not valid, as I certainly believe that they are. I trust that they have good reason to feel the way that they do, and I hope that I am conveying my sense of wishing to honor all viewpoints, not just my own. Whether or not anyone disagrees with me does not contribute to my sense of wishing to honor both other people and their experiences - and I hope that this is also coming through in this long-winded response.

Last edited:
What a terrible story - I totally understand why you got paranoid, I would have been too, trust me:hugs:.

It's a pity you didn't know for sure it was fake when you posted you feedback - and I understand why you didn't have the nerve to just say FAKE until you was absolutly, 100% sure and not 99%, just show me how sweet and honest person YOU are ;).

Helle,

You are just a doll. Thanks for your sweet reply.
xo! ;)

I know for a fact that my feelings are in the minority on this board, but I feel that my experiences are as valid as anyone else's, and that people who are new to the ebay experience should have another POV to base their own decisions on - rather than the view that the buyer should always be lenient on the seller, even when all evidence points to the seller being dishonest. I bet there are a lot of HONEST sellers on this forum who are sick and tired of lying buyers. I get that. I HONOR that this is their experience and that it SUCKS! But I also feel strongly about portraying the experience of the buyer in a way that is logical, so that newbies can get the whole picture, and also so that perhaps some honest SELLERS (sorry, I wrote buyers here and had to edit) can listen and re-think their ideas as some of their (the sellers') responses have made me rethink my ideas.

Last edited:
I've become FRIENDS with one woman I bought from and two that I sold to. It's a shame that people like that IDIOT seller give Ebay SUCH a bad name.

I'm glad you were able to get that neg off your record. And you've really learned lots - which is the important thing!!

I've become FRIENDS with one woman I bought from and two that I sold to. It's a shame that people like that IDIOT seller give Ebay SUCH a bad name.

I'm glad you were able to get that neg off your record. And you've really learned lots - which is the important thing!!

Thank you. Yes, I've learned a great deal, and this experience as well as several others have made me feel SOOO appreciative of honest, ethical sellers as well as buyers - who also abound in ebay. That is why I continue to buy despite many frustrating circumstances. Some sellers are just SO sweet and wonderful that I also feel that they could become a personal friend, as you have experienced.

Again, THANK YOU!!! to those buyers and sellers on ebay that make the experience SOO fantastic. Thos people have made my day on more than one count! xoxo! :hugs: