Resole right away or wear out first?

RJY

Mar 30, 2020
Hi everyone.

I'm hoping for some advice. I have a few pairs of shoes that have been sitting in my closet since Covid and a couple of new ones I haven't worn yet. They're ballerina flats, flat sandals and low heeled sandals and shoes. I have older ones that I only resoled after they wore down but am thinking to resole these right from the start. The cobbler of course told me, yes I should but when searching the forum (and googling) opinions varied.

What do y'all recommend?

If you pronate or supinate, and the corresponding wear and tear on the sole is uneven, I would try to resole sooner than later. It’s varies for me and I do what is convenient. I don’t mind wearing new shoes out to test if I like them enough to resole. And, if I wanted to wear a new pair of ballet flats to dinner, I wouldn’t hesitate.

I would try to resole sooner than later. It’s varies for me and I do what is convenient.
May I ask, what is the purpose of resoling immediately (in OP's case, these brand new shoes)? I resole when the soles are worn thin or have less traction, but have never thought of replacing a brand new, perfectly good sole right out the gate. I'm sure the answer is simple and obvious but, it escapes me entirely! :blush: Thank you! :smile:

Reactions: sdkitty
May I ask, what is the purpose of resoling immediately (in OP's case, these brand new shoes)? I resole when the soles are worn thin or have less traction, but have never thought of replacing a brand new, perfectly good sole right out the gate. I'm sure the answer is simple and obvious but, it escapes me entirely! :blush: Thank you! :smile:
Ah, I meant, and I assume OP meant, though IDK for certain, that resole referred to coating the bottoms of the soles with synthetic soles that grip and don’t wear down as readily. Something like the ballet flat pic below which is both resoled (my definition) and has taps. I have entirely replaced the sole on certain shoes, when the soles have worn out and the uppers are still perfectly fine (which would be your definition of resole), but for fashion shoes that comprise the bulk of my wardrobe, it doesn’t work as well. I think the balance of the original shoe can be lost.
666D3551-D345-4E8D-9471-351162D99AE5.jpeg

Last edited:
Replacing a factory sole with a longer wearing material or a material more suited to where you will actually wear the shoe is easier done before you have worn out the uppers or need more extensive work done.

that resole referred to coating the bottoms of the soles with synthetic soles that grip and don’t wear down as readily.
Oh I see! Thank you. You're right that I was defining it differently. :flowers:
Those ballet flats are gorgeous and the taps are a genius idea!

Replacing a factory sole with a longer wearing material or a material more suited to where you will actually wear the shoe is easier done before you have worn out the uppers or need more extensive work done.
Thank you so much for explaining, this makes perfect sense now. :smile: :flowers:

• Thanks
Reactions: 880
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. What pasdedeux said, is what I was thinking. I have a couple of CL and Hermes low heeled sandals (my high heel days are mostly behind me) that I resoled after they were worn down and there was some damage at the front of the shoes that I wondered might not have happened if I protected them from the start.