Resetting small (heirloom) diamonds into new engagement ring - help!

nycgirl79

Born & raised Manhattanite, addicted to traveling
O.G.
Jan 28, 2009
Hi everyone

A little back story/basic info first...
I inherited a ring a while back from my Mother-in-law, which is not really my style. However, the diamonds were from a ring given to her by her grandmother, so I love the idea of using them in something that I’d actually wear. The ring (pictures attached) has 21 small (maybe 6 pointers?) diamonds, which I’d like to reset into a new band for my engagement ring.
31EF6181-C24F-4541-91F6-2EED36D78272.jpeg 26846476-C058-49F0-A506-1A8DE58D18E1.jpeg (My MIL’s ring)

My current engagement ring is a three-stone emerald cut diamond ring with a plain platinum band (pictures attached). After some thought (and 13 years of loving my current ring), I’d like to have it reset, using my MIL’s diamonds set into the band. I’d obviously trade in my original setting and purchase a new one, but I could really use some help with finding an honest jeweler who will use my MIL’s diamonds, and not charge a fortune!
8A092957-0041-491C-8EC1-57958DAF01C7.jpeg E1E3B780-C509-48A8-BC8C-4E55E91C9B57.jpeg (My ring)
8F0EC06A-539C-420D-9C81-725CEF2BC423.jpeg (New reset that I’m interested in)

I’ve been searching around, and while I have come across a few vendors who will actually reset the smaller stones (Good Old Gold, Kent, The Perfect Setting), from what I’ve read, repurposing these diamonds will probably cost a lot more than just buying a new, ready made setting outright. I live in NYC, so I’m hopeful that I’ll have some great options available to me, but I REALLY don’t want to spend a lot on this reset. With the trade-in of my original setting, my MIL’s setting, and another platinum band that I have, is it even remotely possible to have a new setting made with my MIL’s diamonds for less than $700? Is this just a ridiculous ask, and a ridiculous idea? Does it make more sense to just keep my MIL’s ring as is (sitting in my jewelry box), purchase a new setting and have a jeweler pop my original emerald cuts in?
Any advice, suggestions and thoughts are greatly appreciated!
My apologies for such a rambling post - I tend to get overly verbose these days!

I've used Good Old Gold for several purchases and would not hesitate to recommend them for good work. Jonathan, who used to be there (I think he was one of the owners?) has recently gone out on his own at August Vintage, Inc., and he's excellent to work with, too, and I might suggest getting a quote from him.

Have you checked with David Klass in LA? He's known around Pricescope for doing great work at somewhat lower cost than some of the other jewelers.

A few years ago, I priced repurposing some diamonds and was told that the labor cost to reuse them was high. I think ultimately it's up to you about how sentimental you feel about reusing them. I'd get a quote with and without reusing them and if I were doing this project, I'd check with all three of the people listed above to see what my options were. If you use a jeweler that's not in NYC, you're also saving the cost of sales tax, which may make Klass an even better option.

Reactions: nycgirl79
I've used Good Old Gold for several purchases and would not hesitate to recommend them for good work. Jonathan, who used to be there (I think he was one of the owners?) has recently gone out on his own at August Vintage, Inc., and he's excellent to work with, too, and I might suggest getting a quote from him.

Have you checked with David Klass in LA? He's known around Pricescope for doing great work at somewhat lower cost than some of the other jewelers.

A few years ago, I priced repurposing some diamonds and was told that the labor cost to reuse them was high. I think ultimately it's up to you about how sentimental you feel about reusing them. I'd get a quote with and without reusing them and if I were doing this project, I'd check with all three of the people listed above to see what my options were. If you use a jeweler that's not in NYC, you're also saving the cost of sales tax, which may make Klass an even better option.

Thank you so much for the suggestions, MonkeysInk - I really, really appreciate your input!
I have not checked out David Klass - I’ve been leaning towards a NYC/Long Island based jeweler just for convenience sale, but your point on sales tax is a great one.

I will also look into August Vintage, that sounds like another excellent option.

Thank you so much again, your advice is greatly appreciated!

Thank you so much for the suggestions, MonkeysInk - I really, really appreciate your input!
I have not checked out David Klass - I’ve been leaning towards a NYC/Long Island based jeweler just for convenience sale, but your point on sales tax is a great one.

I will also look into August Vintage, that sounds like another excellent option.

Thank you so much again, your advice is greatly appreciated!

If you are in NYC, maybe contact ID Jewelry down in the diamond district.
Also- another vote to contact David Klass for a quote. You will probably have to actually call and not just email...

I would keep the older ring, but wear it too, it looks like it could be really sparkly.

I wear my mom's wedding ring, lots of small diamonds set in white gold (and I hate white metals), and it is from the '40s so it is an old setting but it really sparkles in the sun. Maybe your MIL's ring could be thought of as a cocktail ring, you could rock it that way! Have it cleaned and checked for loose stones by your jeweler first (and like they say, everything old is (eventually) new again.

And your emerald stone is gorgeous, btw!

If you are in NYC, maybe contact ID Jewelry down in the diamond district.
Also- another vote to contact David Klass for a quote. You will probably have to actually call and not just email...

Thank you so much for weighing in, bunnycat! I’m going to hit the DD tomorrow, and ID Jewelry is going on the list! It’s helpful to know that David Klass is so highly thought of, and I’ll definitely be looking into him as well. Thanks again!

Reactions: bunnycat
I would keep the older ring, but wear it too, it looks like it could be really sparkly.

I wear my mom's wedding ring, lots of small diamonds set in white gold (and I hate white metals), and it is from the '40s so it is an old setting but it really sparkles in the sun. Maybe your MIL's ring could be thought of as a cocktail ring, you could rock it that way! Have it cleaned and checked for loose stones by your jeweler first (and like they say, everything old is (eventually) new again.

And your emerald stone is gorgeous, btw!

☺️ Thank you so much, kemilia! I really appreciate hearing differing opinions, and you have an excellent point regarding my MIL’s ring. I love that you wear your Mother’s wedding ring! I’m sure it’s beautiful, and the sentimental value alone is priceless. There’s definitely something to be said for keeping heirloom rings as is, and enjoying them the way the previous owner had intended....

Thank you so much for weighing in, bunnycat! I’m going to hit the DD tomorrow, and ID Jewelry is going on the list! It’s helpful to know that David Klass is so highly thought of, and I’ll definitely be looking into him as well. Thanks again!

☺️ Thank you so much, kemilia! I really appreciate hearing differing opinions, and you have an excellent point regarding my MIL’s ring. I love that you wear your Mother’s wedding ring! I’m sure it’s beautiful, and the sentimental value alone is priceless. There’s definitely something to be said for keeping heirloom rings as is, and enjoying them the way the previous owner had intended....

good luck!

Good call, bunnycat - IDJ is awesome! Yekutiel helped me with some studs for a gift and his prices are excellent.

***UPDATE***

I just wanted to say thanks again to the ladies who weighed in, and for the great recommendations.
I ended up going with Kent Jewelry in the diamond district for my reset, and I’m thrilled with the end result! Prices were extremely reasonable, and Nick was a pleasure to work with.

My new engagement ring setting!

53C977E2-BDDD-4E7A-924C-4F3667A40F9A.jpeg

265EF720-2965-454C-82CF-775678A631EC.jpeg

9C4BA52D-E089-4C20-B6D4-9314ACF278BF.jpeg