Resale value of RM?

Jan 10, 2012
Wow, I'm really surprised, these bags do NOT hold their value...

Just sold my SS 14 Navy Blue Mini Mac as I use my black one more

Got half the price of a new one....and it's still up for sale on Shopbop

I don't buy my bags in order to sell them on, but I'm really disappointed as I haven't had this experience with other brands.

I'm probably done with RM, for this reason, and others!

if you spend time here long enough you would notice most of us buy RM bags only when they're on sale. i have never paid the retail price, except for my NYC BBW MAB. and if you spend time study the 2nd hand market you would also see that the reselling of RM bags is not very good. the pre-owned bags got interest only when they are very cheap. last year, the price for any RM bag was above 100US$ but recently most items were sold below that and even below 50US$. it does indicate something: (1) RM has lost her popularity; (2) people lost interest and faith in her bags due to some reasons like boring style and poor quality issues; (3) people can find better price for brand new bags elsewhere; (4) poor economy.

in fact, i find this also happens to other mid-range brands, like Coach, Marc by Marc Jacobs and MK Michalel Kors, etc. and i think people's shopping behaviors also changed how these brands deal with their products. i was not used to this at the beginning but gradually i understand it's just the way it goes.

Last edited:
My RM fascination started about May or June last year. Brand new MAMs I got were at sale prices of around $200 +/- $40. Then I learned to shop the pre-owned market because of my longing for the older pieces. I was able to get some very nice pieces for below $100. But probably on average, I got my MAMs for $130-$150 as there were special ones (black basketweave, purple haze zip, wicker, like new ones) I got for more than $200. But now as I see it, initial listing prices go below $100, even for nice ones. Sometimes, reasonably priced pre-owned RMs are listed for a long time. So maybe interest in RMs is waning. And actually, before my exposure to RMs, I gathered from this forum that resale value went as high as $300+.

One reason probably for the decline is RM's change in business strategy. Before, they were selling at relatively high prices for a mid-range brand, but quality is good. But later on they changed that to volume selling at low price point but poorer quality. How I wish they did not do that! Because I still want to enjoy my RMs and would like "new recruits" to enjoy theirs too. Unfortunately, due to quality issues, they do not stick to the brand.

yes after selling 2 rm bags (a mini moto & mini 5 zip) I found I only got a bit more then half the price I paid - and I got both bags on sale! I also think it depends on the style & colour.
people are also stingier, after the mini moto sold on ebay after I relisted twice I got 2 msgs from the 20 something watchers asking if it was still available - ??? it was auction, there was a start price - it was not like the price would go down, think they wanted to wait until I re listed at a lower price

Back in the day, resale was very good. Rare/sought after stuff can still sometimes go for a decent price. But now the market is so saturated, and you can get great deals on new RMs that people don't want to pay a lot for preowned bags, even taking into account that the quality of the older bags is generally better.

I have found that it's really hard to sell a leather bag in mid-July.
I have better luck with canvas and fabric this time of year.
People are not as willing to spend money what with vacations and BTS. Maybe save the RM for fall when everyone is in the mood for leather?

Sadly this is true. I wouldn't pay much for any of her newer bags but I would still pay a decent amount for an older one in good condition. I mean, not retail, but closer than I would for a newer bag. To me quality is the most important thing and that's what I pay for.

I am a RM fan from back in the day - when price point was higher and quality was much better. Agree with others that since the volume has increased and quality declined resale has majorly dropped. Years ago she only made a few of each bag, so demand was huge. That was part of the fun - hunting the market for the color you wanted. Now, I don't even see any MABs being produced, which makes me really sad. I still love my old school RM MABS but won't be purchasing any of the new bags, unfortunately.

IMO, RM resale has always been poor and summer is notoriously a bad time to sell...but the past few months have been ridiculous. Nikkis are lucky to sell for $100 and a NWT BBW MAB recently sold for $175 after being listed multiple times. Crazy. Nowadays if you purchase RM you had better be prepared to give it away.

^wow where r these bargains at?? I've been browsing ebay and most of the things in my watch list are around $150-$200 ish
then again I don't buy bags with any kind of scuff which means they r either new or carried a few times only

^wow where r these bargains at?? I've been browsing ebay and most of the things in my watch list are around $150-$200 ish
then again I don't buy bags with any kind of scuff which means they r either new or carried a few times only
Amazon is a good place to look for bargains....especially when they have extra 20% or 25% off! They put them on sale like that regularly.

^Thanks! is it a code u have to apply upon checkout or just site wide discount? I'm wary of Amazon as I'm in Australia and sometimes certain brands don't ship here or the shipping costs a lot
when there's extra discount you need to key in the code, which can be found on the page or in the section. btw, Amazon now offers free intl shipping and RM bags are included in this scheme. last time i bought my 2 RM bags with free shipping. so happy :yahoo:

I've done better selling RM than any of my other bags. Key is to buy at a good price.
My most disappointing bags for resale are Marc Jacobs - can't get $200 for a $1,000 bag.