Repurposed Designer Items

Mar 15, 2011
Lately I've come across a few companies that sell repurposed designer items. For example, one company creates totes and pouches out of dustbags, etc. The companies are upfront about their repurposing and don't pretend to be affiliated with any designer. I was just wondering how everyone feels about this? A part of me appreciates that efforts to not waste material and the art of it. Another part of me feels a little uncomfortable about it because it has the designers name and/or logo, but wasn't fully created by the designer. I was just curious what others thought.

I have been thinking about this topic recently. An Instagram store popped up on my feed with a sponsored post, advertising repurposed designer buttons as earrings and necklaces. I saw a really cute pair of vintage Chanel buttons turned into earrings. They're really small and quite subtle, which I liked. I purchased and will see what I think when they arrive next week. Initially I thought it was awesome and I liked the sustainability but then I thought, is it cheap? Am I being weird by not just buying a real pair of Chanel earrings (which are all too outlandish for my taste). I guess I'll see what they're like.

I'm interested to hear other people's thoughts on this topic!

Reactions: Gabs007
I’ve seen a few companies do this and I think it’s a smart idea. Taking an unusable bag or something and making it a wallet is a good way to continue using something that wouldn’t otherwise be used.

I think face masks made from fake bags or prints are tacky but that seems like something completely different.

Not sure if it’s my thing, but how many of us are drowning in dust bags, garment bags, shoe bags and assorted crap. It’s probably good if it’s like recycling, terrible if it’s counterfeit. . . Then again the first time I saw the Aline bag, I thought okay, someone did a craft project and punched leather cords through an h dust bag. of course it doesn’t look like a dust bag, but the logo threw me off for a minute :smile:

Lately I've come across a few companies that sell repurposed designer items. For example, one company creates totes and pouches out of dustbags, etc. The companies are upfront about their repurposing and don't pretend to be affiliated with any designer. I was just wondering how everyone feels about this? A part of me appreciates that efforts to not waste material and the art of it. Another part of me feels a little uncomfortable about it because it has the designers name and/or logo, but wasn't fully created by the designer. I was just curious what others thought.

Doesn't appeal to me personally, but if it is recycling and eliminating land fills or waste, hey cool with it

I’ve seen a few companies do this and I think it’s a smart idea. Taking an unusable bag or something and making it a wallet is a good way to continue using something that wouldn’t otherwise be used.

I think face masks made from fake bags or prints are tacky but that seems like something completely different.
There's a huge difference between a company that uses its smaller bits of fabric and leather to make authentic items and a seller who cuts apart a fake item to make "repurposed" items.

When the manufacturer does it, it's an authentic item.

When Joe Shmoe used counterfeit materials, the item he's making is just as fake as the item it came from. (And who knows what kind of toxins are in that fake leather or canvas?)

In fact, many companies' patchwork items were specifically manufactured as a way to use up and not waste the fabric that was too small to make a bag but to large or too good to throw away.

Reactions: BohemianBarbie87