Repair + wear/tear issue

partialtopink

partialtopink.com
O.G.
Nov 14, 2007
I purchased my 5 motif VCA Alhambra bracelet in 2018. I removed two links from it in December 2023 via the workshop, and I noticed that clothing has been snagging on it lately. I looked at it further, and there is actually a sizeable opening in the connection near the lobster claw (O ring).

I called VCA and was told there would likely be a fee to repair this, but I just had it resized 4 months ago, and this was likely an issue from the repair. Another concern, my serial number is nowhere to be found on the piece. The store told me that it often gets scratched off with wear on "old pieces". My piece is 6 years old. Not exactly prehistoric. There are absolutely no signs of the markings at all, and the area looks like it was smoothed down by a machine. Should I be concerned?

Attachments

• IMG_4601.jpeg
    IMG_4601.jpeg
    321.7 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_4602.jpeg
    IMG_4602.jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 115
  • Wow
Reactions: A bottle of Red
This is not abnormal (unfortunately), especially if bracelets are stacked, or in my case, double wrapping the sweet 16 necklace. After 2 weeks of wearing it double wrapped, I noticed that the serial number was starting to wear so I took it off. I have seen it on multiple bracelets in photos, but only on one of mine since I don’t tend to stack bracelets where they can rub against each other. VCA will re-engrave the serial number for the origional buyer with proof of purchase, technically, they charge a standard fee for it, about $180 + tax, but I had it waived on one item, and the other item I was charged for the re-inscription.

This is not abnormal (unfortunately), especially if bracelets are stacked, or in my case, double wrapping the sweet 16 necklace. After 2 weeks of wearing it double wrapped, I noticed that the serial number was starting to wear so I took it off. I have seen it on multiple bracelets in photos, but only on one of mine since I don’t tend to stack bracelets where they can rub against each other. VCA will re-engrave the serial number for the origional buyer with proof of purchase, technically, they charge a standard fee for it, about $180 + tax, but I had it waived on one item, and the other item I was charged for the re-inscription.
Good to know it can be redone!

I’ve seen this happen too on other people’s bracelets, but always wondered how a chain bracelet can rub that much on the side of a motif (just always been curious and since we have 2 members this happened to, I want to know to avoid it). I know it’s easy for bangles or hard bracelets to bump each other, but not sure how the side of a motif on an Alhambra would. Thanks for the enlightenment!

I’ve seen this happen too on other people’s bracelets, but always wondered how a chain bracelet can rub that much on the side of a motif (just always been curious and since we have 2 members this happened to, I want to know to avoid it). I know it’s easy for bangles or hard bracelets to bump each other, but not sure how the side of a motif on an Alhambra would. Thanks for the enlightenment!
I just checked my onyx which I think I from 2018. Even if I don’t stack regularly, even occasionally for that many years should result in worn away engraving. Under a 30x loupe, I can still see it. The engraving is just as sharp and dark but the metal is banged up so it makes it hard to see. Mine was shortened when I bought it.

Reactions: marbella8
I just checked my onyx which I think I from 2018. Even if I don’t stack regularly, even occasionally for that many years should result in worn away engraving. Under a 30x loupe, I can still see it. The engraving is just as sharp and dark but the metal is banged up so it makes it hard to see. Mine was shortened when I bought it.
Thanks, that’s good to know!

Reactions: EpiFanatic
I had one of mine re-engrave. It was free! I don’t think it’s considered a repair. They had my bracelet and number in the system. Now my number hadn’t completely disappeared.
Not sure how they do if it does?

Reactions: nicole0612
I had one of mine re-engrave. It was free! I don’t think it’s considered a repair. They had my bracelet and number in the system. Now my number hadn’t completely disappeared.
Not sure how they do if it does?
They have the serial recorded in your purchase history so they use that to reinscribe it if it totally disappears. They will not reinscribe it if the person is not the origional buyer (or in the case of a gift, has all of the purchase information - date, name, address, place and an unredacted receipt), at least that is my limited personal experience.

They have the serial recorded in your purchase history so they use that to reinscribe it if it totally disappears. They will not reinscribe it if the person is not the origional buyer (or in the case of a gift, has all of the purchase information - date, name, address, place and an unredacted receipt), at least that is my limited personal experience.
Actually, I was more thinking about people taking advantage of that and bringing in super fakes to be engraved. If the serial number has disappeared how can they prove it’s the real piece purchased? 😱

Actually, I was more thinking about people taking advantage of that and bringing in super fakes to be engraved. If the serial number has disappeared how can they prove it’s the real piece purchased? 😱
They can’t 100% I suppose, but they do check the piece more thoroughly than if you just ask for a simple repair. In my case, the pieces went to Paris for assessment and reinscription, but I am not sure if that is required. They also required quite a lot of information and the original receipt (which of course is not required for most repairs). The serial number will be the one on your purchase history that matches the piece. I suppose if other markings on the piece do not match the time period of purchase they would reject it, but if everything matches, then I suppose they just reinscribe it.

This is my concern. Diamond District is a few blocks away. How do I know my piece wasn't swapped out with a fake? It seems awfully suspect that it wore that smoothly.

This is my concern. Diamond District is a few blocks away. How do I know my piece wasn't swapped out with a fake? It seems awfully suspect that it wore that smoothly.
This is my own piece that I wore only a handful of times but did stack, the markings were not totally worn away, but had significant wear after less than a week and a half. The serial number on the other side was halfway worn off also. The pieces that I noticed it on were all metal or pave pieces. On the other hand, I wear my onyx bracelet hard, daily and stacked and I don’t see any wear on the markings at all.
These is an old photo, because I had the bracelet reinscribed and have not worn it since then.

Attachments

• IMG_3656.png
    IMG_3656.png
    397.6 KB · Views: 27
i've seen many members who stack and had the engravings be rubbed off. i don't stack for this reason :sad:

even if you can re-engrave it, it'll happen again if you stack bracelets. so the solution is to either not stack or continue stacking and re-engrave X number of times