Renting eveningwear?

sonya

Feb 23, 2006
Since there are threads about renting purses. Men rent tuxes. Some brides rent wedding dresses. What do you think about renting eveningwear?

Designer duds to go
Albright Inc. is New York City's fashion library - the only place in the country that rents current designer fashion worldwide. "We just serviced the Chinese Academy Awards," says Patricia Black, showroom director.
Irene Albright, a stylist and former menswear editor at the New York Times, founded her showroom, formerly called Imelda's Closet, based on her own collection in 1993.
"The in-crowd comes in with a recommendation from a stylist, an editor, a publicist or if you're a celebrity's mom," says Black. The company focuses on very high-end fashion - from Chloe, Yves Saint Laurent, Michael Kors, Oscar de la Renta, Jean-Paul Gaultier, Alberta Ferretti to Narciso Rodriguez, Balenciaga, Prada, Christian Louboutin and Manolo Blahnik. The sizing runs from 2 to 6, but she has some 8s and 10s.
But dressing in up-to-the-minute luxury duds doesn't come cheap, even if you're just renting.
"It starts at $500, which gets you an amazing dress, a handbag, a shoe and a wrap." By appointment only.
And if you break it, you own it.

I wouldn't... I'm big into recycling pieces from outfits to reassemble into other outfits, perhaps with something new, but not always.

Plus I've heard some horror stories about rented clothes... a little like the thing about people trying on clothes with no knickers that was mentionned in another thread.