Jumbo or 226?

• Jumbo

Votes: 20 36.4%

Votes: 35 63.6%

• Total voters

littles mom

littles mom
Oct 5, 2013
Hi! Please help me decide if I should go with my 2nd jumbo flap or a reissue 226. I have heard such things as peeling and cracking on Reissue's ( mostly metallic) . I want a bag that will still be in great shape 10-20 years from now as I try to take very good care of my designer handbags. I am in love with the shiny aged calfskin Reissue in black with ruthenium hardware. It looks elegant and classy and I think I may like it over the caviar black. Any opinions on quality from anyone who has both would be greatly appreciated!

Jumbo! It has that timeless look that will pass the test of time. I got my first jumbo at the saks presale for the triple points event today and it is such a gorgeous bag. I looked at the reissue (which are gorgeous) but decided on the classic because I thought it would last longer and I would be able to use it now, at 40, 50, 60, etc. let us know what you end up deciding!

Reactions: Pradagal
Jumbo! It has that timeless look that will pass the test of time. I got my first jumbo at the saks presale for the triple points event today and it is such a gorgeous bag. I looked at the reissue (which are gorgeous) but decided on the classic because I thought it would last longer and I would be able to use it now, at 40, 50, 60, etc. let us know what you end up deciding!
Thank you, LovEmAll!! I am so torn and I would love for my daughters to inherit them one day. As they are only 3 & 5, we have a long way to go. I have heard that another problem with the Reissue over caviar flap is that the bottom sags and is less sturdy. Though, I thought I would put a piece of cardboard on bottom of the bag to help the structure. Has anyone done this or know of any other way to ensure they hold their shape?
Congrats on your new Chanel!!

I LOVE the Reissue 226 (I have it in aged calfskin with GHW) so I would say to go for that! But you can't go wrong with either one. What appealed to me was the distressed calfskin because I am not one to baby my bag. Good luck with your decision!

The reissue is a classic; in fact, its original form was first designed by Coco way before the classic flaps.

That said, I have and love both.

Reactions: OCMomof3
Thank you, LovEmAll!! I am so torn and I would love for my daughters to inherit them one day. As they are only 3 & 5, we have a long way to go. I have heard that another problem with the Reissue over caviar flap is that the bottom sags and is less sturdy. Though, I thought I would put a piece of cardboard on bottom of the bag to help the structure. Has anyone done this or know of any other way to ensure they hold their shape?
Congrats on your new Chanel!!

Yes, a base shaper or diy cardboard will solve the sag issue.

Nothing beats the reissue! I have 226 distressed in gold hardware. True classic. Unless like my jumbo it doesn't scream CHANEL. My all time fav. Good luck deciding.

The reissue is a classic; in fact, its original form was first designed by Coco way before the classic flaps.

That said, I have and love both.

Of course. :smile:. They are both classic and beautiful bags. I loved the reissue when I tried it on since it's (to me) a bit more edgy than the classic. Nonetheless, I went for the classic because I know it will match my personal style now and in 20 years. Just a matter of personal preference. :smile:.

Here is mine :smile:
Rami00,

What a gorgeous bag!! Thank you everyone for your responses. I just ordered the Reissue 226 black shiny aged calfskin and I am SO excited to see it. You have made my decision.
I still LOVE the classic flap but this will be a beautiful, edgy , classic addition to my family!!
Wish we could have a get together as I have few friends with my exquisite taste/idealism. Lol

Rami00,

What a gorgeous bag!! Thank you everyone for your responses. I just ordered the Reissue 226 black shiny aged calfskin and I am SO excited to see it. You have made my decision.
I still LOVE the classic flap but this will be a beautiful, edgy , classic addition to my family!!
Wish we could have a get together as I have few friends with my exquisite taste/idealism. Lol

OMG.. Congrats! Can't wait to see your mod pics. It's my first n fav Chanel baby Outta many. I get compliments on it all the time.

Get together would be really nice :buttercup:

Rami00,

Congrats on your Reissue! i know you will love it. I have both and reach for my reissue over my jumbo every time. It's the original classic, true to Chanel's vision as the earlier posters stated, and discrete. Also it is roomy but not overbearingly big for evening like the jumbo can be.

Re the sag and wear, there is a fold on the bottom of all reissues. This is due to the way they are shipped to the stores - not in am their own box but folded and packed with other reissues. I believe the fold is purposeful but not 100% sure. I have had mine for four years and had no issues with wear and tear on the calfskin.

Enjoy your bag!

Congrats on your Reissue! i know you will love it. I have both and reach for my reissue over my jumbo every time. It's the original classic, true to Chanel's vision as the earlier posters stated, and discrete. Also it is roomy but not overbearingly big for evening like the jumbo can be.

Re the sag and wear, there is a fold on the bottom of all reissues. This is due to the way they are shipped to the stores - not in am their own box but folded and packed with other reissues. I believe the fold is purposeful but not 100% sure. I have had mine for four years and had no issues with wear and tear on the calfskin.

Enjoy your bag!

You are right that the fold on the bottom is there on purpose. It is part of the original Coco design, as she herself liked to flatten the bag against her body. You can wear it that way -- and an SA told me there are customers who store their reissues hanging, so that the fold stays there -- or you can "train" it to flatten out by having the bag sit with stuff in it. Neither way is seen as incorrect, but yes, the fold is part of the design, and there for that reason!

I love my 226 -- it's black distressed calf with ruthenium HW -- and feel it's one of the few bags on earth that can go to a cocktail party as easily as it can be worn with biker boots and a leather jacket. Undeniably classic but also with a rock and roll edge if you want one. One of my all time favorite bags ever. :cool:

Yay! I own both and my reissue(s) are hands down my most favorite Chanel. I love my jumbo flaps, but the reissue is very casual chic, and I plan on passing it down to my daughter as well. It is such an easy bag to maintain. Please post pics! Here is my 226 with GHW.

Attachments

• Reissue GHW.jpg
    Reissue GHW.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 841