Recommendations for repair work on my first Bal

Feb 21, 2017
I found this lovely RGGH Parme Bal city offered at a very reasonable price because of this tear behind the handle. The bag is otherwise in excellent condition, inside and out.
Screen Shot 2019-03-23 at 1.12.08 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-03-23 at 1.12.44 PM.png

I think it will be fairly easy to repair and because of its location, it will not be noticeable at all. Right now when the handles are upright, it doesn't even show. I have read that Balenciaga will not do repairs on a bag not purchased from them. Have any of you used the leather repair and refurbishing companies that advertise rehabing designer bags? Thoughts? Recommendations?

I found this lovely RGGH Parme Bal city offered at a very reasonable price because of this tear behind the handle. The bag is otherwise in excellent condition, inside and out.
View attachment 4381503 View attachment 4381504

I think it will be fairly easy to repair and because of its location, it will not be noticeable at all. Right now when the handles are upright, it doesn't even show. I have read that Balenciaga will not do repairs on a bag not purchased from them. Have any of you used the leather repair and refurbishing companies that advertise rehabing designer bags? Thoughts? Recommendations?
Update on the tear: Leather Surgeons only does Hermes and Chanel, Balenciaga would not do it, Rago Bros LAST year and again this year would not reply to my emails, nor to a phone call I made to them where the lady assured me I would hear back from them with a quote in 48-72 hours. That was one or two weeks ago!! So I took it to the local leather shop who had repaired shoes for me several times. Total disaster. The tear originally was behind the handle, and was a very clean slit that could be pushed back together by ME and was almost invisible. So I felt sure I would hardly be able to see it.
I am not devastated since I bought it greatly discounted because of the tear, but I am hacked off that anyone would do such a terrible job. He could at least have come out from the back and explained why he had to SLIT the bag further. I assumed he would remove some stitching and repair that way, stupid me. Anyway here is the bag. Fortunately the damage is behind the handle except for one small slit (arggggg) which I can glue myself! Just needed to vent to folks who understand. It is only a purse and not worth being distressed over for very long.
Before:
Screen Shot 2019-03-23 at 1.12.44 PM.png

After:
IMG_1577.JPG IMG_1576.JPG

Not sure what you paid but it honestly doesn’t look that bad and as you said it’s behind the handle. Hope you can still enjoy the bag. Maybe post a full pic of the bag so we have a better visual.

Update on the tear: Leather Surgeons only does Hermes and Chanel, Balenciaga would not do it, Rago Bros LAST year and again this year would not reply to my emails, nor to a phone call I made to them where the lady assured me I would hear back from them with a quote in 48-72 hours. That was one or two weeks ago!! So I took it to the local leather shop who had repaired shoes for me several times. Total disaster. The tear originally was behind the handle, and was a very clean slit that could be pushed back together by ME and was almost invisible. So I felt sure I would hardly be able to see it.
I am not devastated since I bought it greatly discounted because of the tear, but I am hacked off that anyone would do such a terrible job. He could at least have come out from the back and explained why he had to SLIT the bag further. I assumed he would remove some stitching and repair that way, stupid me. Anyway here is the bag. Fortunately the damage is behind the handle except for one small slit (arggggg) which I can glue myself! Just needed to vent to folks who understand. It is only a purse and not worth being distressed over for very long.
Before:
View attachment 4405524

After:
View attachment 4405523 View attachment 4405521
Did he actually slit it further or did he accidentally tear it while trying to fix it? I'm wondering if someone with better skills could fill and repaint the scar...I still think you could find someone who could make that look almost invisible. But it's totally usable as is and a pretty bag!

Not sure what you paid but it honestly doesn’t look that bad and as you said it’s behind the handle. Hope you can still enjoy the bag. Maybe post a full pic of the bag so we have a better visual.
It is hard to capture all of the glue on the outside. But, as I said, it is a merely a material thing. A reminder of what is really important in life. There are pictures of the bag at the top pf this thread. I am carrying it now and intend to enjoy it. Thanks.
Did he actually slit it further or did he accidentally tear it while trying to fix it? I'm wondering if someone with better skills could fill and repaint the scar...I still think you could find someone who could make that look almost invisible. But it's totally usable as is and a pretty bag!

He did increase the slit in order to get to the underside to put the leather repair strip under there. He said this. But he did not repair his slit for some reason. I was able to take a toothpick and some of hubby’s bonding cement for leather and repair it. The slit that he made is now invisible. I was unable to find any professionals recommended on here who would do the work. (See above). And frankly I do not want to put any more money in it. Right now I don’t have much in it and it is usable and no one but me will ever know.